Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
We'll there you go, I'm sure I said "carbon build up stopped the valve closing fully".
Premium would have cleaned all that crap out while ridden .
Here the manual states 91ron or higher.... No ethanol
It hard being rite all the time ;)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Why is poster stuck on idea that 91 octane gas is superior to 89 octane gas. It's just an octane difference.

·
Super Moderator
6,913 Posts
Why is poster stuck on idea that 91 octane gas is superior to 89 octane gas. It's just an octane difference.
Which poster are you referring to?

It seems a lot of people are convinced that using premium grade gasoline in these bikes must be better than regular grade. Why that is I'm not sure... maybe because it costs more, therefore it must be better? I'm no expert when it comes to gasoline, but I seem to recall that Aufitt had said something about how using a higher octane fuel than what an engine actually requires can lead to unburned deposits in the combustion chamber.

Speaking of fuel octane...
For the last two tanks of gas in my truck, I thought I'd try the mid-grade 88 PON, instead of the 86 PON regular grade that I've been using for the past 8000 miles, ever since the truck was new. What I've noticed is that my fuel economy has dropped by 2 mpg's with the mid-grade gas, and although somewhat subjective, it doesn't seem to run as smooth as it did with the regular grade. I should note that my truck has a Flex Fuel engine/fuel system, so it can also run E85, although I've never used it. I understand that while it costs less at the pump than regular unleaded, fuel economy really plummets with E85.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I heard a commercial yesterday for Shell V-Power that claimed it reduced deposits up to 60% better than other Premiums. That tells me there's quite a bit of difference in the amount and effectiveness of detergent additives from brand to brand.

As I've said a few times now - if you feel you are getting deposits on the valves and in the combustion chamber don't run Premium to try to remove them. Running Premium in an engine that doesn't need it will reduce power and economy. Just run a good fuel system cleaner like Techron Concentrate (1 oz per gal) once per year.

That's a more efficient and economical way to get the job done.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I run Shell V-Power (it has no ethanol in Canada) in my CBR150R - simply because it contains no ethanol. I've read information online from seemingly credible sources that suggest non-ethanol containing fuel has a significantly longer shelf-life than ethanol-containing fuel. Some of my bikes tend to sit around for a while without being run - so they get premium (non-ethanol containing) fuel as well. If all this is true - then there indeed CAN be a benefit to using non-ethanol containing premium fuel.

The following message has been reported to come from Tony Posawatz regarding the GM Volt. It has been passed around on several forums as well. Not sure whether it has been authenticated or not. But here it is:

"Earlier this week GM released the 2011 Chevrolet Volt ordering guide for dealers to use. Included in the description about the gasoline generator were the words “requires premium fuel.” This led to specualtion and surprise from fans and skeptics as to why in the world the car would require premium gas.

According to Volt vehicle line director Tony Posawatz, there are two main reasons.

“The Volt is all about efficiency,” he said. “Premium fuel offers the opportunity to have a little bit more spark.”

“Ninety one octane fuel also offers the opportunity to be a little more efficient, he added. “So technically its a five to ten percent fuel economy improvement the few times that most people will run the range extender.”

Posawatz also claimed the increase is cost will be offset by the efficiency gains.

“Based on our calculations the fuel economy and efficiency gains you get will effectively compensate for the extra cost of premium fuel,” he said.

Additionally, premium fuel is apparently slower to go stale.

If people are not using the extended range capability a lot, the premium fuel does last a little longer,” he said
“There will be a few that will have their gas go bad,” he added. “We have ways to address that as well.”

The AAA Fuel Gauge Report shows the current national average price for a gallon of regular unleaded gasoline is $2.74. The national average for a gallon of premium gasoline is $3.01."

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I run Shell V-Power (it has no ethanol in Canada) in my CBR150R - simply because it contains no ethanol. I've read information online from seemingly credible sources that suggest non-ethanol containing fuel has a significantly longer shelf-life than ethanol-containing fuel. Some of my bikes tend to sit around for a while without being run - so they get premium (non-ethanol containing) fuel as well. If all this is true - then there indeed CAN be a benefit to using non-ethanol containing premium fuel.

The following message has been reported to come from Tony Posawatz regarding the GM Volt. It has been passed around on several forums as well. Not sure whether it has been authenticated or not. But here it is:

"Earlier this week GM released the 2011 Chevrolet Volt ordering guide for dealers to use. Included in the description about the gasoline generator were the words “requires premium fuel.” This led to specualtion and surprise from fans and skeptics as to why in the world the car would require premium gas.

According to Volt vehicle line director Tony Posawatz, there are two main reasons.

“The Volt is all about efficiency,” he said. “Premium fuel offers the opportunity to have a little bit more spark.”

“Ninety one octane fuel also offers the opportunity to be a little more efficient, he added. “So technically its a five to ten percent fuel economy improvement the few times that most people will run the range extender.”

Posawatz also claimed the increase is cost will be offset by the efficiency gains.

“Based on our calculations the fuel economy and efficiency gains you get will effectively compensate for the extra cost of premium fuel,” he said.

Additionally, premium fuel is apparently slower to go stale.

If people are not using the extended range capability a lot, the premium fuel does last a little longer,” he said
“There will be a few that will have their gas go bad,” he added. “We have ways to address that as well.”

The AAA Fuel Gauge Report shows the current national average price for a gallon of regular unleaded gasoline is $2.74. The national average for a gallon of premium gasoline is $3.01."
I will use Premium to stay away from ethanol if that's the only option. Gas without ethanol will last longer than gas that contains ethanol.

I believe what he means is that they designed the engine with higher compression in order to make more power. That's when Premium (higher octane) is required.

Premium would go stale slower only if it doesn't contain ethanol (not all Premium is ethanol-free). The higher octane itself wouldn't increase or decrease it's shelf-life. But there are times when Premium might not sell as quickly as Regular, so it could sit in the tank longer before you buy it, so it could go bad quicker than a more popular gas.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I will use Premium to stay away from ethanol if that's the only option. Gas without ethanol will last longer than gas that contains ethanol.

I believe what he means is that they designed the engine with higher compression in order to make more power. That's when Premium (higher octane) is required.

Premium would go stale slower only if it doesn't contain ethanol (not all Premium is ethanol-free). The higher octane itself wouldn't increase or decrease it's shelf-life. But there are times when Premium might not sell as quickly as Regular, so it could sit in the tank longer before you buy it, so it could go bad quicker than a more popular gas.
I assume the Volt's engine management system will just retard the time if it uses fuel with a lower octane and that's what he's referring too. So if the user uses premium - they will probably obtain slightly better performance and fuel economy.

With that said - if I could find a non-ethanol blend of regular fuel here - I'd be using that instead (except for my WR250R which requires premium). But V-Power is the only fuel I'm aware of around here that doesn't use ethanol. So that's what I use.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i love fuel threads, thanks to 'government regulations' you rreally do not know what you are buying. the gas in most stations is actually cut with water among other things (.9% can be water and the fuel station does not have to note it) ethanol is common and below 8% it does not have to be listed. all fuels are cut and if a vendor is selling you ethanol free gas it may have something worse in it.

i would run premium because it burns cleaner, but the gas tank on most motorcycles is too small to actually get premium out of. you need to move 4 gallons through a gas pump before what you are getting can be averaged back out as premium, unless the guy before you bought premium. premium fuel accounts for about 1% of fuel sales though, so do not count on the lines where you fill up having anything other then regular in them.

also in metal tanks fuel will last a long time. it will not go stale in one season. it will pull moisture into it and other things from its surroundings. keeping your bike in a climate controlled area is the best way to fend against this.

find a gas station where you bike runs good from the fuel and try to stick with it. also i take a five gallon gas can in my truck and hit premium on the pump, run 4 gallons into the truck and then fill the can. then i use the can to fill my bikes and ATV's. thats prolly more work then what most people will do though.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just one more add on to what Zedicus just said.

When you see a tanker truck filling the storage tanks
in a gas station (DRIVE ON BY).

When the storage tanks are filled the sediments and
crud in the bottom of the tanks are all mixed up. Even
though they do have filters it is still the highest probable
time to get (BAD) gas in your tank.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
See my view was if you only put premium in 1 tank full per month, & say it's 10c per liter more then say you put in 10 liters that's only $1 per tank more, over 12 months it's only $12. Seriously who can't afford $12 per year? A pizza costs more.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
See my view was if you only put premium in 1 tank full per month, & say it's 10c per liter more then say you put in 10 liters that's only $1 per tank more, over 12 months it's only $12. Seriously who can't afford $12 per year? A pizza costs more.
But not all Premiums have a higher level of detergents than Regular (do we agree on that?) - so how do you know if it's better than just regular? Might be exactly the same amount of detergents depending on the company.

Just run 1 tank with a fuel system cleaner (like Techron Concentrate - 1oz per gal) once every season. That's going to give you significantly more concentrated detergents and better cleaning than even the best Premium gas.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
But not all Premiums have a higher level of detergents than Regular (do we agree on that?) - so how do you know if it's better than just regular? Might be exactly the same amount of detergents depending on the company.

Just run 1 tank with a fuel system cleaner (like Techron Concentrate - 1oz per gal) once every season. That's going to give you significantly more concentrated detergents and better cleaning than even the best Premium gas.
Yeh I get what your saying mate, here shell, caltex & Mobil have good cleaning properties in the premium fuel. I just don't like the idea do a concentrate once a year as all the crap in the bottom of the tank can be to much in one hit for the fuel pump, filter & injector. If your lucky the filter might get it all but if it doesn't it can block the injector. Also you have built up carbon over the season & are cleaning it off all in one hit that can also cause a problem ( crap caught under a valve etc), by doing it once a month there is less chance of anything going wrong. I'm not having a go at anyone I'm just sharing my knowledge & experience to help people out that may need help & maybe from time to time I'm alittle to direct, that's just to much time living with Aussies lol
I'm not here to offend anyone, just help if I can as I was given no help growing up. I had a car in the workshop yesterday that had been run on e10 (Mazda 323) and had to replace the pump as it had died due to the filter blocking. I pulled a plug out & stuck the bore scope in for a quick look & the carbon build up was insane.... This car has 57,000 km on the clock.
Yeh I make a living out of this type of damage but it costs people $$$ that could have been avoided .

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Oh almost forgot, it's not just fuel that can cause you problems , oil changes also play a big part. I am sure that I'm overboard with oil changes but I won't run oil in my car more than 5000km , the bike gets done every 2000 km, yes tho oil would be still perfect to use but for the price of 1.5 liters of oil it's worth doing more often than in the service manual. If it's still clean when you drain it you know there is no sludge building up etc.
Even if you can't afford good quality oil .& use cheap crap it will be fine if you change it more often just remember old oil builds up carbon deposits also.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
(SNIP)
I'm not here to offend anyone, just help if I can as I was given no help growing up. I had a car in the workshop yesterday that had been run on e10 (Mazda 323) and had to replace the pump as it had died due to the filter blocking. I pulled a plug out & stuck the bore scope in for a quick look & the carbon build up was insane.... This car has 57,000 km on the clock.
Yeh I make a living out of this type of damage but it costs people $$$ that could have been avoided .
Time for some Techron.

A friend that works in auto emissions testing has seen Techron remove significant deposits in just 1 tank. That's why I started using it. I run it once a year in my cars and cycles and it has never caused any problems.

If you were referring to me - I'm not offended. I like a good debate, as long as there's no insults I'm always fine with it.

61 - 80 of 113 Posts