Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my friend's

I want to know your opinions

my bike with 38k miles stopped working, the mechanic recommended that I replace the engine, crankshaft, valves, piston, coil, and other engine parts broke down.

my question is the following, which is more profitable, buy an engine with low mileage, repair the current one, or think about a new bike

thanks!

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
746 Posts
Hello my friend's

my bike with 38k miles stopped working, the mechanic recommended that I replace the engine, crankshaft, valves, piston, coil, and other engine parts broke down.

my question is the following, which is more profitable, buy an engine with low mileage, repair the current one, or think about a new bike

thanks!
I think like you. The economic issue is the main one. One should check the other options(Prices), and only then decide. Have you already received a quote for repairing your existing engine?
It seems to me that buying a used engine with a few miles, is a leading option, and you can also ask the mechanic a price for warranty, say for a year?

But even before that I would take a second opinion, maybe your engine suffers from a much simpler and cheaper problem to repair?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hello my friend's

thanks!
I'll suggest you to sell this bike add some coins and buy a new one so you don't have to worry about repairing issue at least couple of years (y)

·
Registered
516 Posts
What does "stopped working" mean? Completely dead with no life, no electricity when you turn key on to power dash, headlight or starter? Or does it run and make horrible noises and scare horses 10km away?

All of these can have different root-cause with different solution.

Having it repaired by mechanic is probably least-effective and poor use of funds. As mentioned, get firm quote from mechanic listing exactly what problem is and parts & labour needed to fix. Then get second estimate from different mechanic. Compare, if they don't show exactly same list of parts to repair, they're both idiots!

Best path in this case for lowest cost and least amount of mental and emotional anguish is to just scrap bike, sell as parts on eBay. During this process, you may discover WHY bike stopped running. Very valuable lesson. Then buy another one in good running condition.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts