Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. So I've had my license for over a year, but I'm just now getting to buy my first bike. I found a perfect one from a private seller, 2011 black CBR250R (unfortunately no ABS) and I'll be making the deal this week. As a first time buyer from a private seller, are there any tips I should know? He's got the clean title and all that, but how does the actual sale transaction happen? What are the first steps I should take regarding registration and insurance?

I realize these are extremely noob-ish questions, but a little guidance will go a long way for me... Thanks!

Oh, one more question. As it still has a bit of the original warranty, I believe I can still add on the extended warranty from Honda. Recommended?

·
Registered
74 Posts
My friend just bought a CBR600 on craigslist, couple of things you need besides the obvious
(helmet if you plan to ride it home)
1) in virginia you need a special transfer of title form to be submitted to the DMV, get 2 of these and make sure he/she signs them, you can fill in the rest of the information which includes VIN
2) meet at a McDonalds or somewhere pretty public, get a friend to drop you off so you have a witness.
3) Cash is king. usually private sellers will only accept cash, ride it around the parking lot, check the bike make sure everything is working condition and feels good. and obviously make sure they sign the title over to you.
4) remember the license plate on their alternative vehicle (the one thats taking them home) just in-case anything shady happens,
5) count your cash and have them count it in front of you so there are no discrepancies its understandable that you guys are both strangers and neither of you want to cheat each other out of the transaction unless its on purpose...
6) don't bargain at the transaction unless something outstanding (like one of the signal lights is knocked off) cause then your just being a douche about scratches... makes sure you're paying for what you agreed on and they're giving you what they said they will give you.

Hope my 2 cents help!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Greetings sum,

Welcome to the Forum. Best of Luck on the New to you cbr.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
My friend just bought a CBR600 on craigslist, couple of things you need besides the obvious
1) in virginia you need a special transfer of title form to be submitted to the DMV, get 2 of these and make sure he/she signs them, you can fill in the rest of the information which includes VIN
2) meet at a McDonalds or somewhere pretty public, get a friend to drop you off so you have a witness.
3) Cash is king. usually private sellers will only accept cash, ride it around the parking lot, check the bike make sure everything is working condition and feels good. and obviously make sure they sign the title over to you.
4) remember the license plate on their alternative vehicle (the one thats taking them home) just in-case anything shady happens,
5) count your cash and have them count it in front of you so there are no discrepancies its understandable that you guys are both strangers and neither of you want to cheat each other out of the transaction unless its on purpose...
6) don't bargain at the transaction unless something outstanding (like one of the signal lights is knocked off) cause then your just being a douche about scratches... makes sure you're paying for what you agreed on and they're giving you what they said they will give you.

Hope my 2 cents help!
^

Yes and bring another able person with you.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Hope my 2 cents help!
Only things that needs to be added:
-Pay in cash
-If you get some line about them being out of town or they are selling a relative's bike, run away.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

·
Banned
834 Posts
I would locate a dealer that has a left over 2011 and wheel him down to just above cost like I did. That way you KNOW what your getting and with a full warranty. This is an excellent time to wheel a deal too. Most private sellers were charging $500 or less below the cost of a new one ( sometimes even more than new), imo, I'd rather pay the extra $500 for the piece of mind. Honestly I don't think I'll ever buy a used motorcycle ever. I just don't trust people although I'm sure there are many good and honest folks out there. It's like throwing a pair of dice, there is a good chance you could roll snake eyes/craps. You could even get robbed (yes even in public), especially since you are dealing with a large amount of cash. Craigslist and the classified can be a very dangerous proposition.

Don't bring cash with when you look at it and when you ready to do the deal set it up at your local bank.The bank teller can notarize the signatures on the title and you can hand over the cash there.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
I like the idea of meeting at McDonalds... then, if the deal goes south, you can go in and get yourself a happy meal.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Of course if you just got robbed you will probaly have to steal the happy meal and hijack a car to get home since the craigslist robbers took that along with all your money. Nothings easy anymore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Excellent advice from everyone, thanks. I'll update as soon as I ride home on it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts