Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!,

Have you been on this forum a little while? Do you have a shim kit for sale? (even if a few are missing), or would you be interested in splitting the cost of a shim kit?

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
744 Posts
Hi!,

Have you been on this forum a little while? Do you have a shim kit for sale? (even if a few are missing), or would you be interested in splitting the cost of a shim kit?
Hi. When I needed to buy shims I went to some garages in my area. No one volunteered to sell me 4 shims. The guy who did "agree" said that his kit was currently with his friend, and he had not returned it to him yet. The central Honda agency was willing to sell me 4 shims, about 7USD for a single shims. Since I was not pressed for time I eventually purchased the shims online, and it took about three weeks to arrive (When I waited the valve cover was open, and I covered it well!).

The generic shims kits are less accurate (at 0.05 mm intervals), the original OEM shims are more accurate (at 0.025 mm intervals).

A Coordinating Expectations: Honda did not intend that their mechanics adjust the valves when the engine install inside the frame. And evidently, all the explanations in the Honda's maintain service book are with an engine that is outside the frame. At Honda's book they wrote that it is possible to adjust valves when the engine is inside the frame, BUT only in "rare" cases, in a "strange" way, this happens after the end of their warranty;)
Adjusting valves in CBR250R is a very difficult job, and a mistake can be costly a lot (say: falling shims into the engine, etc ...). I'm not trying to despair you, I did it my self, just saying that ...

·
Registered
744 Posts
Honda did not intend that their mechanics adjust the valves when the engine install inside the frame.
Always look at the bright side of life: Chances that your valves do not need adjusting, because Honda's engineering is such that the valves have no particular tendency to go out of adjustment

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much Tamir. That is very helpful. I think I will still check the shims, but will hold off buying a kit (or buying Honda shims) unless there is a problem. Have a wonderful day.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I think I will still check the shims,
Just take with you tons of patience, because even just for checking ... the approach is very inconvenient:
  • It's very difficult to get your hands in,
  • And It's hard to find a good angle of view,
And...
  • of course be careful not to drop the tools into the engine ...
  • you may need to replace the sealing rings, or the main gasket,
  • to close the valve cover you need a sealing glue(RTV).
Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts