Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from India,

I have been a fan of CBR250R and planning to get an used one for daily commuter.
I am specifically looking for ABS model.

I have offers for 2012,2013 and 2014,2016 models.

My question is, what should i check for in these models specifically? Any red flags to look for? Any known issues or so?

Kindly let me know.

Thanks in Advance.

· Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
1,010 Posts
The most difficult typical problem שא CBR250R is related to improper assembly of the oil filter, which in many cases leads to total damage to the engine.
I have the general advice for you!
When buying second hand it is important to go to your mechanic, one you trust, and ask him to check the motorcycle for you. The test obviously costs money, and you should request its results in writing to create a serious and higher level of commitment at the tester. You can save yourself unnecessary inspection expenses, the kind that negate the purchase, if you make sure to take to your mechanic only motorcycles that look good:
  • Less hands,
  • Less miles,
  • and look at other CBR250R motorcycles closely to see the details to compare with the potential motorcycle to look if It's neglected or well maintained,
  • Check the ownership documents carefully,
  • Check with the authority that there are no foreclosures and encumbrances.
Always expect surprises and prepare a separate budget for fixing those surprises.

• Helpful
Reactions: jkv357 and Mory

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
  • Less hands,
  • Less miles,
  • and look at other CBR250R motorcycles closely to see the details to compare with the potential motorcycle to look if It's neglected or well maintained,
  • Check the ownership documents carefully,
  • Check with the authority that there are no foreclosures and encumbrances.
Thanks wish me luck. I got one lined up for TD tomorrow. 72k kms done on ODO and 2017 ABS model, color black. If it goes well then it might come home with me.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:
2017 model well the owner is asking a higher price for it and also there is a weird noise in the bike. The noise is like something loose. It happens only when you accelerate away. Has asked the owner to check it out or rectify it.

Second one I saw is 2011 make ABS model, 37K kms ODO. Had short ride on it and mechanically it seemed okay. However it needsdisc replacement which the owner has agreed todo it if the sale falls through.

The first bike has a slim chance of making due to asking price of the owner while the second bike is good I am worried that its almost 11 year old bike and that too with low running.

· Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
1,010 Posts
The first bike has a slim chance of making due to asking price of the owner while the second bike is good I am worried that its almost 11 year old bike and that too with low running.
Because of the difficulty to making a smart decision, difficulty due to lack of information, that's why you:
  1. Go to a professional who is an expert in checking motorcycles before buying.
  2. You pay money for that inspection.
  3. You get a written report which is a kind of insurance.
  4. With the written report you go to your mechanic and ask him for a quote to repair all the defects.
  5. And only then you can decision to buy the motorcycle, or not to buy it.

Matching expectations: In the end, the seller always feels that he could have received more money, and the buyer always feels that he could have get the deal for less money. And the buyer always finds out at the end that he has expenses more that he expected.
But if you don't go to professional expert for evaluation of the motorcycle condition, the results may be much worse.
And of course you need to check that there are no liens etc on the motorcycle and that all the paperwork matches the motorcycle and whoever claims ownership of it.

Reactions: Mory
1 - 7 of 7 Posts