Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to mount a camera to my bike. I have a Panasonic FZ35 that I want to use. Any recommendations? I would like make one but have no ideas.

What are you guys using for regular camcorders and digital cameras?

I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars for a Go pro or some other expensive helmet cam.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Depends on what you are trying to film?

I have heard of people coming up with gas tank mounts for things like 0-60 runs. I've hack duct taped a camera to do 0-60 runs.

A GoPro helmet mount will probably work the best though if you are vlogging. If you want good quality video skimping out isn't the way to go. You'll want something for waterproofing in case it gets wet out.

If you are recording audio and vlogging while riding, I suggest caution. I see so many new riders doing this on Youtube, but paying attention to the road is important too.:)

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depends on what you are trying to film?

I have heard of people coming up with gas tank mounts for things like 0-60 runs. I've hack duct taped a camera to do 0-60 runs.

A GoPro helmet mount will probably work the best though if you are vlogging. If you want good quality video skimping out isn't the way to go. You'll want something for waterproofing in case it gets wet out.

If you are recording audio and vlogging while riding, I suggest caution. I see so many new riders doing this on Youtube, but paying attention to the road is important too.:)
I want to do a riding video here and there on my youtube page, especially on some really scenic runs or out in the country.

I will not be one of those people motor-mouthing while riding. I will just be shooting video and adding audio when I edit.

My FZ35 has excellent HD quality but it's not waterproof. I try to avoid rain like the plague and I could always just take the camera off if it rains.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have a contour roam..got it for $115 from amazon....i have a RAM stem mount but usually have my TomTom on a 3" arm on that...so put on a RAM double ball brake/clutch mount on the clutch side...a small arm 2" maybe... that puts the camera just above the windscreen near the side of it..perfect for me

no clue how your camera might mount..the roam is long and cylindrical...and its waterproof

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
My brother uses a Go Pro with a chest harness for Off Road enduro racing. He says it has a better POV than a helmet mount, and is the way to go. Most camera's mounted to the bike will transmit a lot of vibes to the camera, resulting in a less than quality image. I've seen some of the footage my brother has shot, and it is very good in terms of picture quality. Helmet mounted cam's tend to point down, looking at the ground right in front of the tire, or are too high to where you lose the perspective of even being on a bike.

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback.

spdklls got a sweet deal on the contour. They are now $179 on Amazon. I would snap one up for $115 in a minute.

I paid $299 w/ free shipping for the Panasonic FZ35 on Amazon over 2 years ago and it's now selling for $450, $300 used ( What I paid for it new). Crazy.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
that was right after xmas on the roam....just the day before they were selling them for $79 with free shipping...I missed that deal :(...maybe a suction mount would work if you dont use a tank bag and if you have the 1/8" standard threaded hole on the bottom of your camera? most of them do...only place it will stick on the tank is in front of you but before the gas cap...right where a tank bag sits

the 1/8 male thread is how my contour is attached to the ram ball on the clutch mount

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm editing some video clips from my GoPro footage to show some of the different camera positions I've tried (not kinky ... at all)

Each has their pros and cons, depends on what you're trying to achieve.

Video link soon-ish.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
which reminded me i made this video last year...i have since found the double ball clutch mount works best..but on the top ball....but just figured that out a few months ago so its not in video..the camera on the bottom ball is..didnt like it there

Diff Camcorder positions & mounts - YouTube

·
Registered
394 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Let me see if I could really help you dudeman. There are suction cup mount with ball heads that you could mount any camera on to your tank. But the problem is the camera would capture a hell of vibrations and shakes. I'm not sure, for the speed you ride it might just be ok. I learnt that the normal cameras are not built to take so much beating, it might also damage the image stabilization and lens calibration on the camera.

Good luck with the video and do not make the mistake of doing another plasti-dip or fly by video for god sake.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Silly idea, but has anyone checked to see if the handlebar mirror mounts could mount a camera's tripod hole? My guess is the camera's hole would be too small, and you'd also not have the clearance to do full lock turns with a camera waiting there to smash up an OEM windscreen.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Not to ask a stupid question, but what's the best way to go for the audio? I can imagine that wind distortion now. I'm not trying to narrate every little piece in post-production.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Mic inside helmet?
If so, there's gotta be a way to get the input gain down. Otherwise, it'll distort from being so close to me when talking. I've heard some okay sounding internal mount mic audio. Anyway, so a GoPro with an internal mount mic plugged into it sounds reasonable if that's the case. Kind of expensive to buy it to test it out, but worst case scenario, at least I'd have the camera and would just deal with narrating in post-prod.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Not to ask a stupid question, but what's the best way to go for the audio? I can imagine that wind distortion now. I'm not trying to narrate every little piece in post-production.
That would depend on the camera you're using. Most regular video cameras would have a built in mic but you'd also have the option to attach one, which I would recommend, and as etiainen said, stick it inside your helmet or behind the windscreen so it doesn't pick up the wind noise. That or get a (possibly very expensive) boom mic/attachment.

Most extreme sport style cameras (GoPro, etc) also have a built in microphone but also feature full-camera encasements/shields to protect from drops, as well as wind. Obviously at speed they will still pick up wind noise, so again it's to place it in a position that won't be affected so much.

However, like many videos, you could not worry about it and just slap some music over the top :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
If so, there's gotta be a way to get the input gain down. Otherwise, it'll distort from being so close to me when talking. I've heard some okay sounding internal mount mic audio. Anyway, so a GoPro with an internal mount mic plugged into it sounds reasonable if that's the case. Kind of expensive to buy it to test it out, but worst case scenario, at least I'd have the camera and would just deal with narrating in post-prod.
I've got footage with both the waterproof door (full-camera enclosure) and the "skeleton door" (slots on the back for picking up more noise), and it's essentially a tradeoff.

With the skeleton door I can hear regular chat between mates and myself when we're stationary/at lights, but the wind noise when riding is pretty obvious (and on windy days/at high speed, pretty annoying). With the waterproof door you can't hear anybody talking except myself (and even then it's not too coherent), and you won't hear the low revs of the bike, but at high speed you get nice revs and minimal wind noise.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The camera you want to use wont have a wide viewing angle. The wide angle isn't so much about giving the person a wide viewing but rather the wider the lense, the less shake becomes and issue.
but if you wanna give it a shot. I suggest film tools.

AS far as a mic is concerned there are a ton of decent 20 dollar lav mics you can install in your helmet and use with a skeleton housing on the HD hero 2.
They work great with a wind screen on them and don't distort

·
Registered
389 Posts
GoPro tail mount

oh, and the mark on my arm is so I can be easily identified....(tom CBR250.net)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts