Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband just bought a Honda CBR 250r so I can learn to drive on it. We where told by the dealership that this bike can be lower, but my husband has told me that I can learn to stop using 1 leg. He's concern is that if the bike is lower it may negatively affect it's drive ability and safety. Please give me some advice. Thank you

·
Registered
501 Posts
If you lower it you will lose some of the bikes lean angle. You will hit the foot pegs sooner. Somone meantioned it changes steering geometry. 1 foot down should be ok as long as your not trying to hold the bike up at stops. Some people dont have a problem lowering the bike & some do.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
I one foot it all the time. I'm 5'5" and only my toes touch the ground. The bike is light enough that one footing while at a stop is very do-able. Perhaps you can consider shaving the seat down, Others have done this and found it successful and the bikes suspension is not being messed with. In time your confidence will build as you get the feel of the bike. Cheers

·
Registered
62 Posts
Page 1

This guy will take your stock seat and shape it, lower it about an inch, and put in materials to make it more comfortable, maybe $50 plus shipping. I've had a good experience on a previous bike.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I one foot it all the time and I'm 6'2". That's how I was taught to ride and it's stuck with me over the years, I've very rarely put both feet down and I've owned some pretty tall bikes. You'll be alright.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
As a former dirt bike rider, I'm used to not being able to flat-foot or touch both feet down at the same time.

On my street bike I can touch both down, but never do.

It's more of a confidence/security issue, and isn't necessary IMO.

Jay

·
Registered
206 Posts
My understanding is you should be braking evenly with the front and rear brakes and use your shifting foot to hold yourself up at a stop. Use your right to keep the brakes applied. Keep it in first so you're ready to boggy incase trouble comes. So one foot is ideal.
This is the truth. As some one who is new to bikes as i my self am, I can understand your concern, I have the same issue but in all honesty the above is realy what you should be doing.

·
Registered
532 Posts
As someone with a shorter inseam, I opted for bigger boots after getting my CBR250R delivered.

Although I know there isn't a need to be able to flat foot both sides, or even have more than the balls of your feet down on a side, to me it's the safety factor -- There are enough things to think about on the road, let alone if you are stopping on an slight grade, potholes, slippery surface, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
As someone with a shorter inseam, I opted for bigger boots after getting my CBR250R delivered.

Although I know there isn't a need to be able to flat foot both sides, or even have more than the balls of your feet down on a side, to me it's the safety factor -- There are enough things to think about on the road, let alone if you are stopping on an slight grade, potholes, slippery surface, etc.
I agree, the grade can make a difference and become your focus when riding. i.e. omg, when we stop what is the grade? will I handle it? can I get my bike up? However, if you become familiar with the weight of the of the bike it will make a huge difference with your confidence. Also, when uprighting your bike, grab a hold of the bars, turn them to the extreme right then left the bike while straightening the front wheel. Your bike will upright easy-peasy. Just a tip!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also have this issue, i'm on tippy toes when sitting on the CBR. Looking to buy my first bike and the CBR is top of my list but after sitting on one i am now a bit unsure. I also tried the Ninja and it certainly seems to be a bit lower.

I'm not too concerned about when coming to a stop as i feel quite comfortable 1 footing it but more when trying to manouver the bike backwards in or out of parking spots.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I also have this issue, i'm on tippy toes when sitting on the CBR. Looking to buy my first bike and the CBR is top of my list but after sitting on one i am now a bit unsure. I also tried the Ninja and it certainly seems to be a bit lower.

I'm not too concerned about when coming to a stop as i feel quite comfortable 1 footing it but more when trying to manouver the bike backwards in or out of parking spots.
I've basically accepted the fact I'll probably never be able to do that (back up while parking) on the bike. I 'might' be able to, but the risk of dropping is way to high for me.

If I do need to back it up, so far I've just been getting off and walking it back. Might not look as cool, but if it is safer (for me and the bike), I'm all for it lol.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'm a lightweight, short **** rider and can just touch the tips of my toes if I use both feet. I can flat foot no problems, it is a very light bike, but you do need to be very aware of your surface. Use one foot on a slippery surface (grease, sand, wet leaves, down slope etc) and you're on your butt.

Something else to consider - when you're at a stop, you should always have your right foot on the brake, with the bike in first gear and your left hand ready on the throttle anyway. You don't want to end up like this guy trying to find first when you see a car about to run you over ( you can just see him start to get his left foot up to select first before the car hits):

Motorcycle Safety Site

1 - 14 of 14 Posts