Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Occasionally when I'm coming to a stop and shifting down it feels like (left foot/shifter) a deck of cards shuffling....hard to explain but does anyone else experience that?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Are you tentative when shifting or do you use a firm full stroke? You're going through neutral so don't be timid about it. You don't have to stomp it...just go all the way through.

·
Registered
426 Posts
sound like a gears are grinding type of sound?
Mine did that alot when new when downshifting. I usually do not shift to first now
unless i am almost stopped. I will roll to a stop in 2nd and then drop to neutral if i have
to stop completely. I will then pop in to 1st and wait to see if traffic behind me stops. If it is a long light and safe to do so i will pop it up into neutral again until light changes.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Same here, I usually only go into first below 10 mph.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
What you feel is probably normal. A big "thump" is usually felt and/or heard on these small chain driven bikes. It is there because the granny first gear is meshing with all the others in our constant mesh transmissions. It's done it on every bike I've driven to a certain extent. If it is obnoxiously loud or grindy, I would have it looked at. Don't shift into first unless you're below 10 mph, it makes it smoother. Also, if you haven't already, (dunno how much you've driven the bike), change the oil with a good synthetic. It really helps out the shifting; you'll see a world of difference.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sound like a gears are grinding type of sound?
Mine did that alot when new when downshifting. I usually do not shift to first now
unless i am almost stopped. I will roll to a stop in 2nd and then drop to neutral if i have
to stop completely. I will then pop in to 1st and wait to see if traffic behind me stops. If it is a long light and safe to do so i will pop it up into neutral again until light changes.

Not a grinding sound but imagine if someone shuffled a deck of cards on the bottom of your foot pretty hard.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me tonight. I know what the OP is talking about. It's definitely a problem with the unit between the handle bars and the seat.

What he's talking about is the gear teeth sliding past each other while trying to shift. It happened while the bike was going faster than the engine; and it doesn't want to go into gear. In my case I hadn't pulled in the clutch firmly and I was too tentative on pressing down on the shifter. I believe if I had revved the throttle a bit before attempting the downshift, it would have meshed in nicely.

While it is possible that the OP's clutch cable needs adjustment; It's most likely a combination of downshifting too early and not being positive on the controls.

In essence it's the classic "grinding the gears" but doing it lightly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts