Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Booked my bike for its first sevice and the dealer asked for the bike the day before to to allow the valve shims to be checked cold so this service will take 24hrs. This service will cost me £50 for oil nad materials. Talking with sales staff they are saying that the lead time for the cbr250 is very poor and the cbr250ra are like gold dust, this must reflect on Hondas logistics. They also mentioned the new crossover which launched this weekend and still no stock availble to meet orders.

regards

chasp UK

·
Registered
216 Posts
honda has been lacking to meet production numbers vs demand as im sure it will be on back order for a while. Also 50 euros doesn't seem too bad for what seems to be a full service on your bike as they will most likely check many other things as well.

·
Registered
319 Posts
In australia we are given it free as part of a deal on buying a new bike from honda

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update on my service no oil flters in stock maybe arrive Thueday
so a loan bike has been offered

chasp

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First service

Hi all

Sorry about the late feed back on my service but i have been in hospital for 2 weeks. I have now been on a run and find that the gear changes and throttle control much smoother since the sevice. I think the valve check and chain tension will have helped to take out the clunk on first gear from neautral.

regards

chasp UK

·
Registered
119 Posts
i think canada, or at least my area, must be in the minority. I had no trouble finding both R and Ra models, both colors, at every dealership near my house, honda and otherwise. I feel for you guys in other countries having to wait so long for your bike!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
600 m service

Hi all

I have now been on a run and find that the gear changes and throttle control much smoother since the sevice.
regards

chasp UK
I had my bike serviced on Saturday. First ride today into work and I too thought that the gear change was much smoother and the engine generally more free revving. The dealer put in Pro4 10w30 fully synthetic. Not sure if that is why but it did feel good. I was charged a 'special rate' of £99 because I bought the bike from them (Honda Main Dealer). It should have been £118 so the guy said. It should be free, me says, as it is a design requirement to have it done.

CBRNewbie.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi
I spoke with my dealer about the cost of the first service and his reply was, the time it takes to remove the fairing make the service approx 11/2 hrs longer which has to be charged as labour. Most new hondas now have a fairing so the first service now has this charge.

regards

chasp UK

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yeah, I can see where six screws and four wire connectors would take someone 1 1/2 hrs to remove/put-back-on. I mean, I could do it in 15 minutes or less, but I don't have Honda training, just common sense and internet access to cbr250.net & cbr250.org/Farkles/RemoveFairing.

I guess I'll remove the fairing panels when I deliver my scoot to the dealer for the 600 mile service. I'm not going to pay for an hour and a half at service rates when I can do that bit myself and save $100 or more.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just got bent by my former dealer (will never go back). Charged me $309 CDN (be nice US readers our dollar is worth more now) that's with a 15% discount for first service. This just 2 weeks after I purchased and paid for the PDI. Stated 3.1 hrs labour by the book. Must be pretty slow techs. I took fairing off this weekend. First time I've ever done this and it took me a total of 30 min. That's take off and put back on! Went to another Dealer over the weekend and asked how much they would charge. They said they hadn't done it yet but it wouldn't cost $309.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Did it myself (Yikes!)

I decided to do the valve check myself since I have worked on engines for many years and know my way around a micrometer.

It took me 6 hours to get the bike apart and back together. Most of this was figuring out how to take the fairing pieces and gas tank off. I could probably do it in three hours now. I used the service manual copy available elsewhere.

The only way to get the valve cover off of the bike is by unmounting the radiator and lowering it out of the way (no need to disconnect the hoses). There is no other gap in the frame big enough.

My intake clearance is fine at .0065" but my exhaust clearance is only .008" so I need to get other shims. This is the next big step. I sure hope the dealer sells shims to 'commoners'.

My conclusion is that the price for the work is probably fair and implies an understanding of what is required. This work is not trivial. I decided to proceed because my impression was that everyone is in learning mode and I did not prefer to have my bike used in that way. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just got my first service today and they charged me $255. They did an oil change, adjusted a bunch of stuff, but the expensive stuff is they said honda says they have to check and adjust the valves. Took 5 hrs for the whole deal and the bike is totally different now. Not so much slack in the throttle, brakes feel alot better for some reason and the engine sounds different? Or maybe its just me. But they really should give us our first service for free, the cost is more than the bike note lol.

·
Registered
162 Posts
That's even with the prepaid service?
No, god no lol. I am saying the first service was 300 bucks and the third/fourth service (the major one) was somewhere around 700 so just those 2 services was gonna cost be 1000k so instead I bought the prepaid maintenence plan for 1250 and that comes with 6 services and or 3 years....so a good deal overall. Get about 3 services free of charge.

·
Registered
576 Posts
dont waste your money on the service plan.
i just changed my oil for the first 600 miles
and it's almost to easy.
i'm going to maybe have the honda dealership
check the rockers at 16000 miles
this is the filter i used,could'nt get the gasket
so just reused the old one.
also running this synthetic oil.
when i first got the bike i adjusted both brakes
and just went over everything myself.
infact the rear brake light sensor was way off so you had to really
mash the pedal to engage the brake light.
now i just have to lightly touch it and it works much safer.
anyone readinng this should check theirs out because
it could save a rear ender.

·
Registered
278 Posts
couple of first service notes...

Honda advised my dealer not to use any but the oil filter specifically made for the CBR250.. They mentioned that filters of the same size for other Honda models don't meet the filtering standards for the CBR250's level of oil pressure.

I wouldn't skip the first valve clearance check at 600 miles. As I understand it, the valves seat themselves during initial breakin. This means that they are likely to go out of spec (tighten up) as they 'bang themselves in'. If the valves get so tight that there's no clearance, could end up burning a valve..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quick Service

Guys, Reading on here about long it takes to check the valve clearances makes me wonder whether my dealer bothered. I dropped the bike off at 4pm on the friday afternoon so the bike would be cold in the morning. He rang me at 10.37 am next morning to say it was ready. They definitely changed the oil/filter (I marked the housing, I don't trust anybody). They adjusted the chain and throttle, and greased a few points (seat latch, clutch adjustment, rear wheel adjustment), and copper greased the brake caliper pins etc. Now it's possible some of this was done on the friday but unlikely as the bike was hot after a 20 mile ride and they were due to close at 5.30pm. Even if they started work at 8am on the Sat I don't see how they could do all of the above, including the valve clearances, in 2 1/2 hours. Also I'm pretty sure only the RHS fairing was removed (for the oil change) as the wiring on the left for the indicator was still tidy (unlike the RHS which I removed at home and corrected). They are a Main Honda Motorcycles (only) dealership so you should be able to trust them but....

CBRNewbie.

·
Registered
278 Posts
boy they like your money.
that should be "loosen up,not banging in to tight"lol noobies.
What I mean is that the valves seat themselves by wearing in, this causes the stem to move closer to the rocker arm and causes the clearance to decrease (tighten).
A little too much clearance is better than less clearance so as to avoid the possibility of the clearance going to zero, that'd be my only concern about not adjusting them after breakin...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts