Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a problem with the ignition switch, the fuel pump dosent get on, no problems with the other lights horn etc.. switches or battery. I've checked with the fuse , found the (ignition pump fi solenoid) fused! Checked with the spare fuse, ignition gets on, fuel pump also worked, but as I press the start button, the fuse fuses! I checked with one more fuse but the same thing happened again once I hit the start button. I checked with 15A fuse again, but still the same. So I stopped doing that.

Mine is a 2017 model non abs one which cloked 23000 kms. (The only problem I had with my bike is that after a long run, when suddenly I drop my gear heading in a down slope, the engine cuts-off. ) But no issues in starting after that. Starts in no time and no problems. I was planning to clean the pump and replace fuel filter(since I thought this was the issue) but suddenly this happened.

Someone please help what might be the isuue. Already we had a scarcity in spares, I'm a lot worried coz the scenario is worse due to covid now

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
88 Posts
...the fuel pump dosent get on...I've checked with the fuse , found the (ignition pump fi solenoid) fused!
Your fuel pump is not working, you also found why? Answer: the fuse "ignition pump fi solenoid" is burning.
Maybe the problem with the fuel-pump-relay? then replacing that relay.

General Note: Never replace a fuse with fuse who edd on greater electrical value.

Starts in no time and no problems. I was planning to clean the pump and replace fuel filter...WHY?
You found the problem: you have a short on the circuit of the fuel pump. In my opinion the short is not due to a clogged and an increase in current to try to overcome the clogged. Because, as I understand it, the fuel pump is a centrifugal pump, like the coolant pump, there the spindle can rotating even when the piping is clogged.
Try to follow the electrical wires and see what shortens?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
B
Hi, I have a problem with the ignition switch, the fuel pump dosent get on, no problems with the other lights horn etc.. switches or battery. I've checked with the fuse , found the (ignition pump fi solenoid) fused! Checked with the spare fuse, ignition gets on, fuel pump also worked, but as I press the start button, the fuse fuses! I checked with one more fuse but the same thing happened again once I hit the start button. I checked with 15A fuse again, but still the same. So I stopped doing that.

Mine is a 2017 model non abs one which cloked 23000 kms. (The only problem I had with my bike is that after a long run, when suddenly I drop my gear heading in a down slope, the engine cuts-off. ) But no issues in starting after that. Starts in no time and no problems. I was planning to clean the pump and replace fuel filter(since I thought this was the issue) but suddenly this happened.

Someone please help what might be the isuue. Already we had a scarcity in spares, I'm a lot worried coz the scenario is worse due to covid now
Your fuel pump is not working, you also found why? Answer: the fuse "ignition pump fi solenoid" is burning.

General Note: Never replace a fuse with fuse who edd on greater electrical value.

You found the problem: you have a short on the circuit of the fuel pump. In my opinion the short is not due to a clogged and an increase in current to try to overcome the clogged. Because, as I understand it, the fuel pump is a centrifugal pump, like the coolant pump, there the spindle can rotating even when the piping is clogged.

Sure ! I got your points, will check with all these and I'll update to you guys😊

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree - sound like a wiring problem/short to me.

Look for a bare wire that's making contact with the frame.
Yes I'll check as you told. But let me ask what could be the reason for that bare wire to touch frame!? I am taking care of bike like a gem!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Yes I'll check as you told. But let me ask what could be the reason for that bare wire to touch frame!? I am taking care of bike like a gem!
Could have gotten pinched during removal and installation of parts for maintenance, or a wire could have come out of a connector.

·
Registered
192 Posts
1. Rats can chew insulation off wires. There are some wire insulations that's made from soy.

2. Honda uses cheap bare-brass connectors that corrode over time. This causes extra resistance at terminals which causes overheating and melting of connector housing. Eventually. neighboring terminals in connector can touch through melted spots and cause short-circuit.

This melted starter soleniod connector has terminals shorting and blows fuse every time start button is pushed. Proper repair requires cutting off all old terminals and crimping/soldering on better-than-OEM tin-coated spade terminals to prevent future corrosion and overheating.

I recently bought 1986 VFR750. Even though it was Honda's top-of-line bike at time, it STILL used bare brass connectors. Many of which were corroded and just ready to overheat and burn. I bought bulk pack of tinned connectors and replaced every single bare brass connector on bike (over 62 of them).

There's never enough time to do things right the first time, but there's ALWAYS time to do it again!!! Often on side of road in total darkness and rain!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1. Rats can chew insulation off wires. There are some wire insulations that's made from soy.

2. Honda uses cheap bare-brass connectors that corrode over time. This causes extra resistance at terminals which causes overheating and melting of connector housing. Eventually. neighboring terminals in connector can touch through melted spots and cause short-circuit.

This melted starter soleniod connector has terminals shorting and blows fuse every time start button is pushed. Proper repair requires cutting off all old terminals and crimping/soldering on better-than-OEM tin-coated spade terminals to prevent future corrosion and overheating.

I recently bought 1986 VFR750. Even though it was Honda's top-of-line bike at time, it STILL used bare brass connectors. Many of which were corroded and just ready to overheat and burn. I bought bulk pack of tinned connectors and replaced every single bare brass connector on bike (over 62 of them).

There's never enough time to do things right the first time, but there's ALWAYS time to do it again!!! Often on side of road in total darkness and rain!
Hi thanks for the info, Its lockdown here at my home town, I'm stuck.
Is that the CDI unit which you have attached in the pics? Can you mention that part if I'm wrong,? And where is that located to be exact? Should I give a try on that?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Guys. I have an update. I took home a technician to checkout, he changed all the fuses and the bike worked perfectly fine!
He says there are no issues so far, checked the battery terminals and reconnected.
But I don't feel satisfied because why the fuse fused if there are no issues !

Pls note : I have no big wing honda showrooms that services cbr 250 and above here in my hometown. Atleast a 150 km away.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Guys. I have an update. I took home a technician to checkout, he changed all the fuses and the bike worked perfectly fine!
He says there are no issues so far, checked the battery terminals and reconnected.
So you may have missed blown fuse. This is only way to determine if fuse is good or bad.

Also check your starter-solenoid connector like I show above. Remove seat and you should see it on right side. ALL power for bike and starter goes through that connector. Most likely electrical part that fails 1st on Hondas.

Highest-rated 1/4" spade-connector is 24amps. Honda uses it in 30a circuit. So of course it's going to overheat and melt connector.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So you may have missed blown fuse. This is only way to determine if fuse is good or bad.

Also check your starter-solenoid connector like I show above. Remove seat and you should see it on right side. ALL power for bike and starter goes through that connector. Most likely electrical part that fails 1st on Hondas.

Highest-rated 1/4" spade-connector is 24amps. Honda uses it in 30a circuit. So of course it's going to overheat and melt connector.
So far no issues. But I'll look for that. Thanks 😊

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Update: There are no issues with the solenoid fuse or connection located under the seat as you told!

I've done a 150km ride yesterday, but no problems arised(I was already prepared for something to happen)

So what's next? What should I do now!? (I'm having a feeling that something is wrong)

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Update: There are no issues with the solenoid fuse or connection located under the seat as you told!

I've done a 150km ride yesterday, but no problems arised(I was already prepared for something to happen)

So what's next? What should I do now!? (I'm having a feeling that something is wrong)
I would still check over all the wiring, looking for a bare spot in the insulation that will occasionally touch ground in certain conditions. Confirm all the connectors are in good condition.

Keep a couple spare fuses with you on your rides.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes, there's a bare spot on starter-wiring somewhere that's causing short. It may have fixed itself and disconnected due to vibration and riding bike. But at some unlucky time, it will short and blow fuse and stop bike again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts