Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to advise everyone to double check all work dealer does or just do it yourself. Picked up bike from 600 mile service today and went over it when I got home. Big mistake!!! They claim to be a Honda 5 star dealership. First thing I checked was oil level. Those bastards added almost half quart to much. It is for sure that they checked the oil level with the bike on the side stand as it was within the 2 bar spec. The manual specifically says to check level with bike in an up right position. On the side stand it was good. Called dealer and the morons response was well its better to have too much than to little right. What a dumbass, my confidence in Honda of Houston is gone. If a dealer can't even change the oil properly I have no faith in their ability to handle more complex services.

Just wanted to give a heads up

·
Registered
323 Posts
What might have happened is they checked the oil level immediately after shutting the bike off. After a few minutes some oil in the various engine parts and oil galleries will have made its way down to the sump and raised the level in the window. I have a VFR800 manual here that says to wait a few minutes before checking the oil level.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
is it supposed to make him feel better that his dumba$$ dealer doesn't know to wait a few minutes before checking the level either if thats what happened? to wait a minute or two is standard oil checking practice for every motor vehicle..and is something even novices should know, much less a supposed skilled trained mechanic

·
Banned
379 Posts
You should live in Thailand.
I was at the major dealer in Roi Et and asked jokingly for the valve check. He listened and said the valves are fine :p
Every other honda dealership has said that it doesnt need to be done until several thousand km on the clock.
I haven't had the check done yet as I dont trust any of those monkys touching my bike.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Ya I wouldnt go back there either. Thats crazy. Common sence tells you to check the oil with the bike straight up and after the bike sits for a while so it can all drain back down into pan.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Sorry for the newb question but is there a dip stick on this bike? How do I check the level?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Sorry for the newb question but is there a dip stick on this bike? How do I check the level?
Basically from the manual -- Run the bike, then shut off for a few minutes. Then, with the bike level (not on stand), look in the oil inspection window on the right-hand side of the bike. There is a max and min line, and the oil level should be in the middle. If not, add or remove as necessary.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I know how to check the oil level as explained above + from the operators manual. Pretty easy to check the level by yourself and i check it each ride. but how do you check the coolant level?

I know it explains it in the manual but is pretty hard to balance the bike and bend down far enough to see in the little window. It seems to be almost a 2 person job.
It seems the only way to look in the view port is to balance the bike with one hand and i do not feel comfortable doing this :)

a while back someone mentioned using a mirror and a flashlight while sitting on the bike. Sounds like a good idea and will have to try that one.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Get someone to help first time, check it's correct. Put the bike back on the stand and look at the tank in front of the back wheel. Draw a line with a marker when the coolant level is. Next time you check just look under the bike and check the coolant is at the same level as the line still.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts