Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I learned to ride on a Nighthawk 250 and moved up to a Nighthawk 750 because the 250 was scary on even short freeway rides or in strong crosswinds (e.g. the ridetops or the coastal highway). I'm in the Santa Cruz mountains; most of my riding is on two lane woodsy highways or single lane back roads.
I ended up selling the 750 because I just didn't ride it enough. It was cold-natured and I have a long, steep, banked driveway that you really don't want to stall a 480 pound bike on. Also, the 750 didn't have the "flickability" I like on some of these narrow backroads. Self adjusting valves were nice though.
I'm thinking of getting back into biking and looking at Suzuki's the SV 650 and the CBR 250. Knowing that the Nighthawk 250 wasn't enough bike for me but the 750 was more that I needed what are the pluses/minuses of one of these choices over the other? Thanks.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Pretty hard to compare these two bikes. The Sv650 is like 500 lbs. and 85 horsepower. The CBR250r is 366 lbs. and like 24 horse power. They really aren't much alike at all.

I'd have to say if the Nighthawk 250 wasn't enough for you, you're likely to feel the same way about the CBR250r. The SV650 is much more powerful and sable in a crosswind than the CBR would be.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I know the Santa Cruz mountain roads such as 17 well; and I own a 250r. If you're 170lbs or less the 250 is sufficient IMO. If you want high performance however, or you carry a passenger, def. size up.

·
Registered
619 Posts
The cbr250 has at least 5 more horse power than the nighthawk. It will still get blown around by gusty winds, but if you get all the way down behind the shield, it's pretty fun. It will haul you around just fine, and use less fuel.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know the Santa Cruz mountain roads such as 17 well; and I own a 250r. If you're 170lbs or less the 250 is sufficient IMO. If you want high performance however, or you carry a passenger, def. size up.
I'm 165 and I stay off of 17. I do 35 (Summit) all the way from Kings Mountain to Corralitos; 84, Tunitas, Stage, 9, Empire Grade, 1, coastal back roads. I threw a leg over the CBR and really liked the balance and easy feel but if the performance and added weight don't produce a significantly different riding experience than the Nighthawk 250 than it wouldn't be the bike for me.
Mid-sized bikes - 450's, 500's, are hard to come by in California. I think it has to do with our emissions laws.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty hard to compare these two bikes. The Sv650 is like 500 lbs. and 85 horsepower. The CBR250r is 366 lbs. and like 24 horse power. They really aren't much alike at all.

I'd have to say if the Nighthawk 250 wasn't enough for you, you're likely to feel the same way about the CBR250r. The SV650 is much more powerful and sable in a crosswind than the CBR would be.
The basic SV 650 (not the Gladius or some other variants) has a dry weight of about 370 pounds - 20 pounds or so more than the dry weight of a CBR. Since it has more surface area it in theory shouldn't be that much more stable in wind.
The Nighthawk 250 is about 60 pounds lighter that the CBR - it's dry wight is only 287. The CBR has 26 horses to the Nighthawk's 19 and quoted torque numbers about 50% higher although the added weigh soaks up some of that.
All in all - just based on the numbers - the CBR should provide a substantially different experiece - but I'd like to hear from someone who has been on both (and ideally the SV as well).

·
Registered
681 Posts
One of my best friends has an SV650 that he uses as a primary bike for commuting. From what he tells me, wet weight in reality is much closer to 500 lbs. The center of gravity is pretty low on it so it feels lighter but I know for a fact that he's actually weighed his bike.

Don't get me wrong on the CBR. I love my bike it has more than enough get up and go for my tastes but judging by your first post I still don't think the CBR is going to make you happy long term.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The CBR should provide a substantially different experiece - but I'd like to hear from someone who has been on both (and ideally the SV as well).
My brother had a SV-650s same as SV-650 just different body work.
The cbr has more low end power from dead stop, and less vibration.
But the one my brother had was a 2004 and it had carbs so I don't know how the newer FI SV's are.

·
Registered
576 Posts
i'm 165 and this cbr is plenty fast and enough pep in any
situation i've been in so far.
weight is a big factor just for the twenty something horsepower.
someone even lower like 110-120 it should be like
a rocket and getting over 85mpg every fill up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I owned a 2006 SV650 (naked version) and there is no comparison between it and my present bike (CBR250R).

The Suzuki weighted about 70 more pounds (it seemed like more), had over three times the horsepower and torque, was a little more top heavy, was just as much fun to ride, had a terrible seat, very smooth engine. The Honda is much, much easier to handle at slow speeds and to move around the garage. The brakes on both are outstanding. The SV650 got almost as good gas mileage(60-65 mpg) vs 65-75mpg on the Honda.

Looking back, I should have got a better seat for the SV650 and kept it. But then I wouldn't have had two Harleys and my present bike to enjoy! It's all about the ride. :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I owned a 2006 SV650 (naked version) and there is no comparison between it and my present bike (CBR250R).

The Suzuki weighted about 70 more pounds (it seemed like more), had over three times the horsepower and torque, was a little more top heavy, was just as much fun to ride, had a terrible seat, very smooth engine. The Honda is much, much easier to handle at slow speeds and to move around the garage. The brakes on both are outstanding. The SV650 got almost as good gas mileage(60-65 mpg) vs 65-75mpg on the Honda.

Looking back, I should have got a better seat for the SV650 and kept it. But then I wouldn't have had two Harleys and my present bike to enjoy! It's all about the ride. :)
Why is it that when I go to references like this -
2006 Suzuki SV650 - Top Speed
..or many others I get a curb weigh of 363 for that bike and a figure of 359 for the CBR? Must be a bunch of different variations.
Anyway thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
681 Posts
..or many others I get a curb weigh of 363 for that bike and a figure of 359 for the CBR? Must be a bunch of different variations.
I don't know where those estimates come from but they're way off.

Still, my friend loves his. He rides it way more than he does his 1000.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Could be wet weight vs. dry weight?

"Curb" weights on the two are consistently quoted as being very close. The gas weight wouldn't make the difference if it were wet versus dry. I can't imagine the oil and coolant is that much heavier in the SV.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't know why that weight was given. Mine weighted 436 pounds wet, as does the new ones. Dry weight was 376 pounds. Wet weight includes
4.5 gallons of gas, 3 quarts of oil, a little coolant and a little brake fluid. See: Suzuki SV650 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I dropped mine a couple times (very top heavy with a full gas tank) and I KNOW it weighted far more than the CBR250R as it was a b**** to get back up on it's wheels! Also, the SV650 has TWO big water cooled cylinders instead of one.

OTOH The pictures on the page you linked to only had one 2006 model (black frame). The other two pictures were of older models (grey frame). Not that that makes any difference.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have owned a sv 650 and they are quick but I now ride a cbr 250r . It isnt as fast but it has far better suspension and I trust it a lot more on corners and roundabouts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The 5 Suzuki's i have owned all had really soft suspension. to me this equalled not cornering well due to wallowing in bumps. The cbr250r does not do this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts