Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

New member here. Quick intro -- I used to ride a CBR600F4i but sold it back in 2005 and haven't ridden since...:mad:

Anyway I am either considering getting a new 250R or continuing to search for a very clean used 600F4i (hard to find these days in private hands). Obviously these are different machines and I'm not attempting to compare them here... My question is for those who currently own a 250R are you able to keep up with traffic on interstates? I currently live in GA real close to I-75 where the speed limit is 70mph in alot of places and though it wouldn't be part of any daily commute I would want to know that this bike could handle it given its overall power.

Any thoughts / observations would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I commute daily; upto 75pmh you are ok, above you are gimped unless you full tuck. I split as high as 70pmh, even that takes planning, you don't have the power to pass very well. This is with 2bros which sheds 12lbs. Comin from your bike it may be frustrating, though the mpg is fantastic.

·
Registered
414 Posts
the bike will be working at its limits but it can cruise at 75mph all day but nothing left in reserve for power. the 250r is a great commuter bike. i down sized from a 750cruiser and before that i had a 600 sports tourer. the only thing missing was power but this is a seriously fun bike and the mpg is fantastic, 75 uk mpg without trying to save petrol. saying that the more i use this bike the more i forget about the engine downsizing and realise this is the bike that suits my needs

·
Registered
879 Posts
This is not the right bike to be riding on the interstate its just to small and your just working the hell out of that little motor. I only use mine for around towm and back road crusing. I also have a 600 and a 1300 and they handle the big road so much better. Screaming that little motor down the road at 75 80 mph is no fun to me but thats just my thought. There are guys that do it so i guess its up to the person what they want to do with this bike

·
Registered
52 Posts
In my experience 60-70 is just fine, not perfect, but works out quite well. If you wanna go faster..good luck..for example in full throttle up a steep hill..I literally felt like I was being electronically limited stuck at 80. If I ever need to gas it, well there isn't really much left for it to give.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I definitely would consider a different bike for the interstate. Back roads and highways with a 55 MPH speed limit that folks average 55-65 MPH is where this bike shines. Amazing bike within that criteria. :)

Over that, you will be disappointed as you will feel like your ringing it's little neck and still lacking the top-end power. :eek:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Anyway, this bike should be able to ride 70 in 6th gear at about 7000rpms.
It is endlessly boring doing so. But if it is A PART of your daily commute the bike CAN handle it.
Consider something bigger if you plan to spend more time in the Interstate than out of it.
Keeping honda logo and considering some NC could be right choice.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I love my CBR, but it's not the bike for extended Interstate riding. It will do 70-75 fine until you hit a decent headwind or a hill, then you have to tuck to keep from dropping speed. Plus you have no acceleration left to get out of blind spots, evade idiots, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Adding to my stable

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new CBR250R just to handle my commuting needs. I travel 24 miles via HOV highway each way on my daily commute where 70 mph is the standard speed. Currently, I'm been using my Ducati Multistada 1200 for the task. It's great comfort and has plugs for heat needed in the winter.

I want the CBR because it will give me great fuel mileage (30 more than the Duc), plus the maintenance on the Duc is a big expense and have to run premium gas too! The CBR will not have the power and comfort I get with the big bike, but for the savings it makes good sense. Besides, after riding the CBR back and forth to work all week, the Ducati will be just that more fun on the weekends.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new CBR250R just to handle my commuting needs. I travel 24 miles via HOV highway each way on my daily commute where 70 mph is the standard speed. Currently, I'm been using my Ducati Multistada 1200 for the task. It's great comfort and has plugs for heat needed in the winter.

I want the CBR because it will give me great fuel mileage (30 more than the Duc), plus the maintenance on the Duc is a big expense and have to run premium gas too! The CBR will not have the power and comfort I get with the big bike, but for the savings it makes good sense. Besides, after riding the CBR back and forth to work all week, the Ducati will be just that more fun on the weekends.
Good luck 24 miles on the highway isnt to bad the little honda can handle that. Nice having more than one bike. I have a 250 600 and 1300 they all do things differently and there all fun

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good luck 24 miles on the highway isnt to bad the little honda can handle that. Nice having more than one bike. I have a 250 600 and 1300 they all do things differently and there all fun

Here! Here!

I'm not slamming the CBR; I will love the weight savings in the city and fun on the VA backroads! A true motorcyclist has many types of bikes; for me I have an Enduro, Sport Tourer, and so to be commuter bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to all who have chimed in with their 2 cents on this subject. I unfortunately will only be able to have 1 bike in my stable. It sounds like a 600 will be an overall better fit as with more power you are able to get more versatility. In addition, with the amount of idiot drivers out there I would really rather have a power reserve on tap if things got dicey and it just doesn't sound like this 250cc motor w/ about 45hp can deliver (and rightly so... as it really wasn't designed for that.

Generally the interstate would be the exception as opposed to the rule, but again traveling at a constant 7000rpm with very little reserve on tap makes me alittle nervous... I'll give it some more thought but may just continue my search for a used F4i...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Here! Here!

I'm not slamming the CBR; I will love the weight savings in the city and fun on the VA backroads! A true motorcyclist has many types of bikes; for me I have an Enduro, Sport Tourer, and so to be commuter bike.
WTH is a true motorcyclist?

·
Registered
160 Posts
....and it just doesn't sound like this 250cc motor w/ about 45hp can deliver (and rightly so... as it really wasn't designed for that..
45HP :eek:

Coming from a Triumph Daytona 675 with 125HP, I am sure it will be a major difference too, but one as a rider you have to learn to live with. I believe the bike can easily handle the hiway, you just won't have that response of a 600 series bike. I don't need that anymore. But, I would love to ride the roads north of Atlanta someday. Lived in Roswell about 12 years ago, nice twisties in the mountains.

I am sure everyone on this forum would love 45hp too :D but the 250R is much less than that. A quote from motorcylce.com:

"The 250’s compression ratio is 10.7:1, while the supersport’s is 12.3:1. The little CBR also lacks the big CBR’s dual 12-hole injectors per cylinder and computer-controlled digital transistorized ignition with three-dimensional mapping, let alone similar cam lift, duration and other high-performance tricks.

No, while the 250R may copy the fire-exhaling 1000RR in some respects, it is designed for low emissions, low maintenance, quietness, and efficiency. To further enhance low and midrange power, Honda says the intake and exhaust system were analyzed and tested to optimize ideal port/pipe length.

Peak horsepower arrives at a sedate 8500 rpm, and a linear torque curve climaxes at 7000 rpm, well below its 10,500 rpm redline.

Compare this to the Ninja 250R’s 13,000-rpm parallel-Twin. At the tire on a dyno, it peaks with 25.4 hp at 10,250 rpm, and 13.2 ft-lb torque at 9500 rpm.

American Honda makes no power claims for the CBR250R, but our Indian correspondent was told that at the crankshaft it makes 25.8 hp, and 16.8 ft-lbs torque, with variances possible from market to market."

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have rode on the interstate several times for over an hour each time...it does just fine..usually rode 65-80....but if i rode the interstate with any kind of regularity for that length of time..I would find the cbr250r lacking and would definitely want more horsepower

·
Registered
8 Posts
I travel about 600 miles per week for work, and usually its on the Cbr. As far as highway use goes I have had no problems with it so far. Usually I stay around the 70-80 mph mark but hitting 100 mph has happened a few times before. Dont cross it off your list, just understand hitting that 100 mph doesnt happen as fast as the 400-600cc bikes would. Still enjoyable, still smiling every time im on it. The fuel savings alone from doing these business trips in my jeep tj is already paying for the bike and the insurance. Gas is a joke.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts