Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my 2012 250 the back light LEDs had perished. This seems to be a common problem for these bikes and can stir an annoyance for riders that commute early mornings and nights.
It is an easy fix but will take some patience and a refresh on your soldering skills.
I end up finding the correct LEDs to fit back in, Jay Car were no help whatsoever and Dicksmith seem to backing away from individual spare parts. I ended up and a lighting manufactures warehouse and they let me scavenge around for some potential LEDs to work.
I found a down light that had a few boards with 3 LEDs to a board. I used two from this and here's how it worked out

Take the four Allen key bolts out of the fairing housing by the cluster and wiggle out.
There's a plug behind that's easy to push a tab ( on the left side ) to disconnect.
Flip the dash and remove the three Philips head screws to remove cluster.

Now on the back, remove the 8 smaller Philip head screws to take the back off.
Lift warranty sticker and remove screw.
Next pry up carefully to remove the rev guage needle, it's only held on by friction so ease it up from under and wiggle a little.

Remove the two small screws in the blue area of the gauge and take the plate off.

Next remove the four silver screws, and bend the black tabs back straight to remove the digital tacho housing.

Here you'll find your culprit, use your soldering ion to remove heating each side after the other. Then should come loose. Use your ion to remove excess solder. Making sure positive and negative aren't touching by solder.

You can see I have soldered two boards, each jumping a few terminals but still resulting in positive to negative. This was an easier way as opposed to trying to solder the smaller lights. Not the prettiest of soldering haha, but should hold up.
If you have a multimeter use it to test the lights and connection.

Because I used the led boards I had to cut the housing behind the digital tacho with a dremil tool to fit it. Which was fine.

Ensure when putting back together that the black tabs are twisted back into place, this is the ground and power terminals for the digital tacho.

There you have it. Light should show the digital tacho for your night rides and early commutes.
If you have any questions please feel free to ask and I will help you the best I can.
Good luck guys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, seeing how it's a common problem in these bikes, a plug and play globe ( much like the neutral light globe ) would have been welcomed haha.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It is pretty sad how common a problem it is. Honda should really be ashamed for releasing a bike with components like that. I've recently picked up a 2003 sv650 and that has led backlighting on the panel. They are still original and still works fine, but my 2011 cbr250 I had to replace them maybe 2 years ago now, they flickered for a while before they stopped completely... I had a length of led strip lighting in white that I had laying around with the same size led chips on it, so I desoldered them from the strip and soldered them to the board in the cbr cluster. Haven't had any issues since and it is good to be able to see the clock and stuff on the bottom of the cluster.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know how you soldered the each individual LEDs I blew through 4 of them before I decided too do them as above. I'm hoping they last a while if not for the remaining of its lifetime. I wonder if there's a fault in the circuit board occasionally delivering too much power to them and wearing them out quicker or what, but it's definitely a problem people have delt with for close to a decade.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yeah I know what you mean. I have one of those big temperature controlled soldering irons, so ran it on a low temp. Believe me, there were lots of words to convince it to happen lol. Seems strange that it's only the bottom leds that go out. The tacho ones don't seem to have any issues...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hey Guys, my bike is a 2013 and, touch wood my lights still work perfectly. Nice work on the change tho. Ride safe all.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Parish0056

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Crap, I just noticed that my light is out too. But since I have zero experience soldering and don't ride in the dark I'll leave it as is for now.:censored:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts