Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually i have done 40k kms in my 2013 cbr250r. When i was riding last week i felt that the rear wheel was not rotating freely so i stopped and took a look. The rear breaks were gone and the caliper was pushing the break shoe and it didnt went back as it has to. Then i removed the old break shoes and tried to insert the new ones and here is the problem that tha caliper doesnt allow the new ones to get fit inside the caliper doesnt move back its jammed and tried many ways to move it back even I used a mini jack but it doesnt go inside..can anyone suggest me any solution for this please. The break fluid is full and there seems to be no leakage in the caliper. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
It sounds like the piston in the caliper has seized. No amount of trying to force it back in is going to help. You'll either have to find a rebuild kit, get someone to rebuild it for you or replace it with another caliper.

Have you tried draining the fluid from the reservoir and resetting the piston then? If the master cylinder (where the brake lever is) is stuck all the way in it may be stopping you from resetting the piston too. You're going to have to start stripping the whole lot down and see what it looks like inside.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like the piston in the caliper has seized. No amount of trying to force it back in is going to help. You'll either have to find a rebuild kit, get someone to rebuild it for you or replace it with another caliper.

Have you tried draining the fluid from the reservoir and resetting the piston then? If the master cylinder (where the brake lever is) is stuck all the way in it may be stopping you from resetting the piston too. You're going to have to start stripping the whole lot down and see what it looks like inside.
Do i have to strip it down further....can i remove the piston from the caliper and clean it reassemble it??

·
Registered
96 Posts
The have seals inside that should really be replaced, with that many in on the bike it would be worth rebuilding it anyway I would say.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Remove it from the cycle and completely disassemble it. Clean up the damage around the edge of the piston and clean/grease the sliding pins.

Look at the bore when the piston is out. You may need to clean it up gently. Lube it with brake fluid before inserting the piston. If there is pitting in the bore you may need to replace the caliper.

A new caliper may not be very expensive, so check before you buy repair parts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Remove it from the cycle and completely disassemble it. Clean up the damage around the edge of the piston and clean/grease the sliding pins.

Look at the bore when the piston is out. You may need to clean it up gently. Lube it with brake fluid before inserting the piston. If there is pitting in the bore you may need to replace the caliper.

A new caliper may not be very expensive, so check before you buy repair parts.
Thank you brother!! Its really helpfull.. Have a great day!!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
There are plenty of videos on YouTube that can help you if you get stuck.

The videos may not be for the CBR specifically, but the CBR's rear caliper is similar to most modern larger dirt bike rear calipers.

·
Registered
120 Posts
There's some non-stock conditions that needs to be fixed before you can use standard procedures here.

1. The brakes have been painted. Problem here is the piston has paint on it. When pushing back into caliper-body, the paint jammed and locked-up normal clearance between piston and body.

2. other issue is damage from trying to force piston back into caliper.

Both of these conditions need to be fixed and caliper restored back to OEM condition before brakes can be serviced using standard procedure.

- remove caliper from bracket and place in small bucket

- gently press on brake-pedal to push piston out of caliper

- inspect caliper-bore and seals for damage

- remove ALL paint from piston

- repair damage on piston edge. It must be smooth, round and matches OD of undamaged part of piston. The end needs to be clean to slide all way into caliper-body and not damage seals. Quick spin on lathe will take care of this.

Might be easier to get caliper-rebuild kit and replace all damaged parts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's some non-stock conditions that needs to be fixed before you can use standard procedures here.

1. The brakes have been painted. Problem here is the piston has paint on it. When pushing back into caliper-body, the paint jammed and locked-up normal clearance between piston and body.

2. other issue is damage from trying to force piston back into caliper.

Both of these conditions need to be fixed and caliper restored back to OEM condition before brakes can be serviced using standard procedure.

- remove caliper from bracket and place in small bucket

- gently press on brake-pedal to push piston out of caliper

- inspect caliper-bore and seals for damage

- remove ALL paint from piston

- repair damage on piston edge. It must be smooth, round and matches OD of undamaged part of piston. The end needs to be clean to slide all way into caliper-body and not damage seals. Quick spin on lathe will take care of this.

Might be easier to get caliper-rebuild kit and replace all damaged parts.

Thank you brother!!! I will try and give an update...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts