Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
>you will take less breaks and be fresher on the CBR250R.
In my book that makes for a faster bike, I run along with traffic as well. From everything you've said, I think the cbr250r is a no brainer. I suspected all along the honda would ride wonderful and have good economy.

After reading your comments, I don't think I have to pick up a ninja, just to see for myself, it's probably a bit cramped for me. About the only check box for the ninja is that it is low tech, without a computer. I see some possible advantage in that.

I really am impressed with how smooth the cbr is and it has such a pleasing power band all over.:)

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Race bike

>I don't think I have to pick up a ninja, just to see for myself, it's probably a bit cramped for me. About the only check box for the ninja is that it is low tech, without a computer. I see some possible advantage in that.
:)
As a race bike, the Ninja, with an exhaust, jets and intake, can hit 30hp. $700. Then the fuel economy will drop into the 40's when hammering. The Honda will need new cams to go with it's exhaust to make it to 30hp if any team racing program ever comes to be. 22hp of the stock CBR250R is plenty for me. I might try an exhaust to see if the fuel economy could get even better but am not real hungry for more power. The Honda is the better daily ride unless someone is too short to stand over it at which point the rounder seat of the Ninja would be easier.

·
Registered
619 Posts
>I might try an exhaust to see if the fuel economy could get even better

Sendler, considering that you are riding for economy, do you warm up the cbr250r by letting it idle, before riding or do you just start it and go?

People have a lot to say about economy and warming up your bike. Many suggest your mileage will be hurt by not letting the bike warm up with excessive idling. I've been trying that, and let my bike warm up in the morning, but I'm not convinced. I think the bike will warm up fine under way and use less fuel with out letting it just idle.

I guess with the Ninja, there is not much choice as you have to take time for warm up in the morning.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
No warm up

I don't do any warm up any more than to yank it out of the garage and put on my gloves. The first half block of my commute leads me to a left turn at a light and then a slight down hill.
>I might try an exhaust to see if the fuel economy could get even better

Sendler, considering that you are riding for economy, do you warm up the cbr250r by letting it idle, before riding or do you just start it and go?

People have a lot to say about economy and warming up your bike. Many suggest your mileage will be hurt by not letting the bike warm up with excessive idling. I've been trying that, and let my bike warm up in the morning, but I'm not convinced. I think the bike will warm up fine under way and use less fuel with out letting it just idle.

I guess with the Ninja, there is not much choice as you have to take time for warm up in the morning.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Cool solar power. My brother has no wires hooked on to his house (or his road for that matter). He gets by with 900 watts from his panels. In Syracuse, NY USA!. Solar works. He has a large stack batteries to get up to 9.5KW/hrs as it is often cloudy for days on end here. He uses minimal consumption (1KW/hr per day) but it can also help quite a bit for a normal home and reduce the increasing burden on the transmission grid. I feel it should be code to have any new home construction face one roof pitch south and use rolls of soft film panels for roofing. Roofing shingles are crazy expensive anyway and the cost of the new soft roll panels would come way down if the scale of production were increased dramatically.
Solar works if money is no object or the government is paying you with other people's money to do it. The panels and more importantly the batteries have a limited life and are expensive to replace. On-the-grid solar is most effective, both economically and environmentally, as you can feed power into the grid when you have an excess and you don't need the batteries - the grid is your "battery" so you avoid the expensive (and environmental cost) of having to buy your own.
Lowering your baseline is the key, again both economically and from an environmental standpoint. I laud your brother for getting his use down to 1KW hr. a day but at that rate how long will it take him to recover the cost of the solar? Before it wears out and needs replacing?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
No wires

Solar works if money is no object or the government is paying you with other people's money to do it. The panels and more importantly the batteries have a limited life and are expensive to replace. On-the-grid solar is most effective, both economically and environmentally, as you can feed power into the grid when you have an excess and you don't need the batteries - the grid is your "battery" so you avoid the expensive (and environmental cost) of having to buy your own.
Lowering your baseline is the key, again both economically and from an environmental standpoint. I laud your brother for getting his use down to 1KW hr. a day but at that rate how long will it take him to recover the cost of the solar? Before it wears out and needs replacing?
There are no wires on his road.

·
Registered
385 Posts
There are no wires on his road.
Oh, well - then the house was probably a bargain to; I stand corrected. However, at 1KWh a day (which practically precludes owning a fridge/freezer) I might go with something cheaper which works in the winter - like this -
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bicycle Generator Kit 300 Watts DC Pedal Power Generator With Dynamo, Belt, Plate, Stand

To keep the environmental theme while at the same time bringing this back on topic - think of the mileage improvement on a CBR from shedding 10 pounds or so making your own power!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Excellent write-up(s) Sendler...

Thanks for the validation...

·
Registered
12 Posts
What's the top speed on the CBR? I know a lot of you don't really care but what concerns me is if I'm going 80 down the highway and I want to pass will I have enough power left over?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
What's the top speed on the CBR? I know a lot of you don't really care but what concerns me is if I'm going 80 down the highway and I want to pass will I have enough power left over?
I have seen an honest, flat road no wind gps top speed of 93 on my CBR250R before and after going up 1 tooth on the front. I have never topped out the Ninja but it would be higher. If you are already going 80 mph, you have no need to pass. The Honda pulls well up to 85 if you tuck in and then more slowly crawls up to top speed. 85 mph is pretty fast for any motorcycle on busy roads. Curves don't feel the same at those speeds. Everything is more serious.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I know a lot of you don't really care but what concerns me is if I'm going 80 down the highway and I want to pass will I have enough power left over?
No you wouldn't. But having owned a 250 Ninja, (FI UK model) you wouldn't on that, either. You do have a bit more top end on the Ninja, but it takes a hell of a long time to get there, and any accelerating over 80 is very slow on both bikes. ;)

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
I rode my 2009 Ninja250 yesterday instead of the CBR250R just for fun along with my brother who was logging fuel maps on the fresh engine in his Buell Firebolt. The Ninja is fun to get out and scream on with the revs up which is not how I normally ride on my commute. It feels smaller and lower than the Honda. The front brake pads are better than the Honda but that is an easy fix. The stiffer spring in the front fork of the Kawasaki is more planted when pushing it but I was surprised that the CBR250R has much quicker and lighter steering. Maybe just the wider bars? I would eventually like to do a complete exhaust on the Ninja and install the cheap fuel injection kit to get all the possible power out of it and get it to run better on cold start. The big ZG ST wind screen on the Ninja is dead silent when you lay on the tank. I am disappointed that Zero Gravity has been so slow in developing a screen for the CBR. Honda is also partly to blame by making it so ridiculously hard to change the screen. A wind screen change on most bikes is a 2 minute operation.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
From what I read on Ninjette, the Ecotrons kit has a new throttle body now.

I guess they are working out the issues?

A ZG on the CBR would be amazing.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts