Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
when I turn the key to ON, everything gets ready and is fine. Battery is also good by the way.

But when I press the starter button, I immediately hear a semi-loud click (I guess somewhere near the seat where the battery is) and all electricity is out. No cranking at all, it just kills the electric circuit completely. Like some kind of switch goes off.

After some time at least 15 minutes it gets back to normal and I can turn on the bike again, but when I try to start the engine, same thing happens. I cleaned the battery contacts so that does not seem to be the problem, I also holded them when starting and the click sound doesn't come from batterycontacts.

Please advise if you have any suggestions how to solve this issue.

Many Thanks!
M

·
Super Moderator
2,027 Posts
Sounds like the starter solenoid may have gone bad, or have bad connections. Can you do a continuity check with a multimeter?

·
Super Moderator
6,924 Posts
Hi,
when I turn the key to ON, everything gets ready and is fine. Battery is also good by the way.

But when I press the starter button, I immediately hear a semi-loud click (I guess somewhere near the seat where the battery is) and all electricity is out. No cranking at all, it just kills the electric circuit completely. Like some kind of switch goes off.

After some time at least 15 minutes it gets back to normal and I can turn on the bike again, but when I try to start the engine, same thing happens. I cleaned the battery contacts so that does not seem to be the problem, I also holded them when starting and the click sound doesn't come from batterycontacts.

Please advise if you have any suggestions how to solve this issue.

Many Thanks!
M
Sounds like your battery may not be holding a charge. You should have it load tested.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
How did you determine the battery is fine? As MM suggested, you need to test it under load. A 12 V battery should read 12.7 V (100% charged) or more before cranking, and 10 V or more during cranking (under load). Anything less and it's not functioning properly.

Battery would be my first guess. Starter Solenoid and connections, as jsonder mentioned, would be next.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts