Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a 2011 cbr250 with a bad crankshaft. This is the second crank failure this bike had. Is this a common occurence?
Both failures were at the big end.?

Does anyone make a crank pin and connecting rod instead of installing a whole crank?

Thanks
Matt

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
I just recently purchased a 2011 cbr250 with a bad crankshaft. This is the second crank failure this bike had. Is this a common occurence?
It's definitely not a common failure. How many miles on the original crankshaft?... and the mileage on the second?

Does anyone make a crank pin and connecting rod instead of installing a whole crank?
Not that I know of.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's definitely not a common failure. How many miles on the original crankshaft?... and the mileage on the second?

Not that I know of.
The bike has had a bit of a rough life. I put another engine in it for the original owner at 3600 miles. His 17 year old son rides it.
This time a year later it has about 5900 and every piece of plastic on it has a scuff or crack. I'm assuming it has been from neglect and abuse. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't something problematic before I throw a Honda crank in it.

I bought it from the owner after he has basically bought the bike twice in repairs.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The bike has had a bit of a rough life. I put another engine in it for the original owner at 3600 miles. His 17 year old son rides it.
I bought it from the owner after he has basically bought the bike twice in repairs.
luckily the kid didn't grow up in the 90's. I've seen a few stories of kids being bought zx-7's as their first bikes. not just plastics that get scuffed up.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Is this a common occurence?
Not that I'm aware of. Haven't been a member here all that long, but I don't think I've ever seen a thread on this.

I ride my bike like I stole it (redline / shifting), has 13,500km on it, never missed a beat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I'm a Honda die hard I currently own a 97 900rr, 86 vfr interceptor, an xr80, xr100, cr500 in a 2003cr250 chassis, a Honda pressure washer and a Honda generator,
I have a few others brand as well but Honda has always been my go to. And all of them a reliable.

Glad to hear sounds like it has just been a case of severe abuse.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yeah I already pulled it apart. Second motor actually snapped the rod off and a size able chunk of rod hit the counterbalanced so hard to bend it and pull the bearings out of the side cases...

I'm going to rebuild the first engine that just has slop in the big end
you ever figure out whats causing it? I absolutely hammered my old cbr 250 and never had that type of failure, only weird valve train problems.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Yeah I already pulled it apart. Second motor actually snapped the rod off and a size able chunk of rod hit the counterbalanced so hard to bend it and pull the bearings out of the side cases...

I'm going to rebuild the first engine that just has slop in the big end
I've found OEM Honda parts to be the lowest priced in the U.S. here: Honda Motorcycle Parts 2011 CBR250R AC CRANKSHAFT + PISTON Diagram

At $165 USD for the crankshaft assembly, even if someone did offer a con rod kit, I doubt that the crank could be rebuilt for less when you figure in labor cost.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts