Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. So I've got a few questions. It looks like I'm gonna be buying a black CBR 250 from a guy, and I was thinking I would put blue EL wire or LEDs around the edges of the bike and the inside of the wheels. I figured this might be a little difficult so I'm turning now to super reflective tape. Anyone know of a good brand?

Also I saw a youtube video of a guy who had a CBR 250 that had a mod where it would tell his gear. That would be amazing to have on my bike (since when I do ride, I always lose track of the gear, not mention it will tell me if I shifted up or down all the way) and was wondering how much something like that would be.

^ video of the gear indicator and a volt thing (not sure what that is)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
You are either in the right gear or the wrong gear,

thats what tacho's are for.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Aufitt tends not to answer people's questions and instead tells you you're silly for even asking them. There is a thread on here about the gear shift indicator; you can do a search on it and find some useful stuff there (in between Aufitt's explaining that it's silly). I've seen something about 3M reflective tape, but I'd be interested in more information about reflectives and how people have used them.

Reactions: spdklls

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Oh ****..I meant to add that while Aufitt can be pretty annoying sometimes, he is also very knowledgable about bikes, how they work, how to be safe, etc. He's a good resource when he's not pontificating. :)

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Aufitt keeps it simple precise and to the point,

there is much to learn in motorcycling and grasshoppers easily get sidetracked with whats rot and whats not.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Aufitt keeps it simple precise and to the point
was trying to read this thread but was blinded by lights that appear'd to have some numbers on them coming from the cbr250r console :confused:

hate to love Aufitt's post but i remember when i use to think i needed to know what gear i was in , now i just focus on the road and staying alive ;)

don't knock anyone for getting a gear indicator if it make you feel better but do you really need look ?
trust me , the bike will let you know if she's in the wrong gear ......:mad:

personally will not purchase a gear indicator because i don't want extra lights or distractions in my line of sight when im driving.

....so if you get a G.I. then you suck !!!!:D:D
...but you are still part of the CBR250R M.C.(est2011) :cool:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice. It's more just for me to learn how shifting feels and general security. I really do want to get one.

And 3M tape? What is that?

EDIT: NVM. I found some tape. Thanks for the help guys.

In anycase, any idea how I could make EL wire work? I would prefer to do that instead of tape (something about tape just makes it look junky) but if push comes to shove I'll go with tape.

I want a string on both sides of the tires (front and back) and around the base of the bike. A lot of batteries I'm guessing?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey guys. So I've got a few questions. It looks like I'm gonna be buying a black CBR 250 from a guy, and I was thinking I would put blue EL wire or LEDs around the edges of the bike and the inside of the wheels. I figured this might be a little difficult so I'm turning now to super reflective tape. Anyone know of a good brand?
Welcome to www.tapeworks.com the premier aftermarket design source for motorcycle graphics and decals on the web. seems to be well liked.

If you do add lights make sure they are legal where you are. In california for example they must be "diffused non-glaring lights" which in part means that no one can see the bulbs/leds.

I plan on doing rim stripes with a reflective material. I also plan on doing some vinyl wrapping with a reflective design. I will add to that some under body LEDs to increase my night time profile.

Also I saw a youtube video of a guy who had a CBR 250 that had a mod where it would tell his gear. That would be amazing to have on my bike (since when I do ride, I always lose track of the gear, not mention it will tell me if I shifted up or down all the way) and was wondering how much something like that would be.
That video was on a thread on this forum, perhaps searching for it. I know that person also put on an XCS voltage stabilizer, and that term is not that common here so it may help you search for the thread.

The gear indicators are not that much, there are several out there.

·
Registered
107 Posts
trust me , the bike will let you know if she's in the wrong gear ......:mad:
Sometimes its not about knowing if you are in the wrong gear but just which gear you are in.

Its his bike, he should be able to ride it the way he wants and not the way everyone tells him that he should ride it. Having a gear indicator by itself is not unsafe so I see no problem with someone wanting that. Now if you are glued to it then you are unsafe because you are not looking at the road, however I see no reason why someone would be fixated on that and not on existing instrumentation such as the tach or speedometer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to www.tapeworks.com the premier aftermarket design source for motorcycle graphics and decals on the web. seems to be well liked.

If you do add lights make sure they are legal where you are. In california for example they must be "diffused non-glaring lights" which in part means that no one can see the bulbs/leds.

I plan on doing rim stripes with a reflective material. I also plan on doing some vinyl wrapping with a reflective design. I will add to that some under body LEDs to increase my night time profile.

That video was on a thread on this forum, perhaps searching for it. I know that person also put on an XCS voltage stabilizer, and that term is not that common here so it may help you search for the thread.

The gear indicators are not that much, there are several out there.
Yeah I'm not sure what the law is, and I've seen quite a few people with lights on their bikes in Arizona, but the actual bulb wasn't visible. They were hidden under the body of the bike.

And yeah I think I linked the video up top. How much is a gear indicator?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Sometimes its not about knowing if you are in the wrong gear but just which gear you are in.

good point !!! sometimes i try to go into 7th gear :confused:
a G.I. would be good just for quick verifications when is safe.:cool:

....all im saying is quick glances and you probably will look less and lees as the miles add up ;)

·
Registered
879 Posts

Its his bike, he should be able to ride it the way he wants and not the way everyone tells him that he should ride it. Having a gear indicator by itself is not unsafe so I see no problem with someone wanting that. Now if you are glued to it then you are unsafe because you are not looking at the road, however I see no reason why someone would be fixated on that and not on existing instrumentation such as the tach or speedometer.
Vary well said +++

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yeah I'm not sure what the law is, and I've seen quite a few people with lights on their bikes in Arizona, but the actual bulb wasn't visible. They were hidden under the body of the bike.

And yeah I think I linked the video up top. How much is a gear indicator?

I only know California law because that is what matters here.

http://www.ledunderbody.com/ has motorcycle LED kits. I plan on getting some blue for my bike to increase night time visibility. I also plan on having it switched so that if needed I can disable it.

Those plus the vinyl wrap and rim stripes that are both reflective should make me visible enough at night (plus my jacket and other stuff that is reflective).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Trust me, you don't need a gear indicator. As said previously, you'll know if you're in the right gear, or not, just by riding the bike, not by looking at a number. You'll soon get used to how the bike sounds in top gear, and by what the revs clock is telling you, to know that you're in it. ;)

please re-read what I said, it has nothing to do with "needing" a gear indicator, it has nothing to do with knowing "when its time to shift".

Gear indicators NEVER tell you when its time to shift, nope not ever. All these people arguing that you do not need them for that seem to fail to understand what they are used for. They are used to tell you the gear you are in. There is absolutely no indicator that says "shift now" that is a totally separate indicator. A gear indicator, as its name implies, merely indicates which gear you are in.

It is about knowing what gear you are in, nothing more just as a speedometer tells you how fast you are going and nothing more and a tach tells you how fast the engine is going and nothing more.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I would love to have a Gear Indicator myself, if it was plug n play, which they aren't...do i NEED one? H#ll no I don't, but as mentioned in here, I find myself trying to go into 7th gear on occasion...a quick glance down at an indicator would fix that.

heres a thumbnail of my red reflective rim tape..i have red reflective tape on my helmet too...it does reflect a bit on the orange side more rather than red, but im ok with it..have gotten lots of positive comments about it

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
After you use the bike for some time, you will no longer need a gear indicator for the 4th gear and above - the speedo and tacho readings will tell you what gear the bike is in. You just need to have a look at the speed readout and the approximate position of the rpm needle will tell you instantly which gear you are in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would love to have a Gear Indicator myself, if it was plug n play, which they aren't...do i NEED one? H#ll no I don't, but as mentioned in here, I find myself trying to go into 7th gear on occasion...a quick glance down at an indicator would fix that.

heres a thumbnail of my red reflective rim tape..i have red reflective tape on my helmet too...it does reflect a bit on the orange side more rather than red, but im ok with it..have gotten lots of positive comments about it
Ah yeah man! That's like exactly what I want to do with my bike, except with blue tape! Have any suggestions on which tape is good to use?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts