Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my license today and took the 2013 cbr out for the first time since buying it last week. The bike needs some work and I expected that and wanted that so I could learn. I didn’t expect it to be this soon though. I was coming home when I looked at my shoe. Covered in oil. The oil is leaking fast from the left side of the bike. Any suggestions or commonly leaky spots towards the left side of the bike I should check for. I really don’t know much about bikes yet so anything is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
88 Posts
The oil is leaking fast from the left side of the bike. Any suggestions or commonly leaky spots towards the left side of the bike I should check for.
Indeed an unpleasant story, hope you find a simple solution to your problem. Hard start, I congratulations you for a better sequel. It happens to all of us, patience is needed here.

Most importantly, check the oil level, and do not ride if missing, because otherwise it will cause great damage!

In my opinion and sorry, solving oil leaks is a problem for advanced amateur mechanics. Feel free to contact a qualified mechanic.

1. Low chance, but the cheapest and easiest to try. Did you flood the chain with oil?

2. Try to see if the air filter flooded with oil?
Let's hope it doesn't!

3. I would then try to check the two oil seals:
On the output shaft of the gear lever,
And
On the output shaft behind the 14T front sprocket.

Replacing the two oil seals is an easy job, but also could do great damage when replacing incorrectly, so it not recommended for a beginner amateur mechanics.

Relatively strong leak, try to check the course of the flow, where the drop is, and where it slipped from, this will help you pinpoint the problem. For this job I would consider dismantling some of the covers.

Enjoy the process, and keep in mind that learning costs money and takes a lot of time, and most importantly, Mechanical work creates a risks to health and life, Keep the Safety Rules !!! Or contact a qualified mechanic.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
As Tamir noted - check the oil level immediately.

The CBR doesn't hold much oil, and you don't want to run it low. You can safely use Shell Rotella T5 10W-30 that can be purchased at most auto supply stores. Rotella is a diesel oil, and is safe for use in cycle engines. Do not use a standard auto oil.

Start by looking closely at the highest point where you see oil. Take a 1/4" dr socket (Probably 8mm) and check that any bolts in that area are snug. Don't overdue it - just make sure they are snug.

If you can't tell the origin f the leak, completely clean any signs of the oil, make sure the oil level is correct, and keep an eye on it. Extended high speed riding can blow the oil around and make it hard to find the leak.

From the photos, it seems like it may be coming from the area around what looks to be a crankcase breather, but it's hard to tell.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Indeed an unpleasant story, hope you find a simple solution to your problem. Hard start, I congratulations you for a better sequel. It happens to all of us, patience is needed here.

Most importantly, check the oil level, and do not ride if missing, because otherwise it will cause great damage!

In my opinion and sorry, solving oil leaks is a problem for advanced amateur mechanics. Feel free to contact a qualified mechanic.

1. Low chance, but the cheapest and easiest to try. Did you flood the chain with oil?

Let's hope it doesn't!

And

Replacing the two oil seals is an easy job, but also could do great damage when replacing incorrectly, so it not recommended for a beginner amateur mechanics.

Relatively strong leak, try to check the course of the flow, where the drop is, and where it slipped from, this will help you pinpoint the problem. For this job I would consider dismantling some of the covers.

Enjoy the process, and keep in mind that learning costs money and takes a lot of time, and most importantly, Mechanical work creates a risks to health and life, Keep the Safety Rules !!! Or contact a qualified mechanic.

Let's hope it doesn't!

And

I appreciate it so much. I checked the oil level last night and even though it leaked all the way home the level was still ridiculously high. Should have noticed this before I even bought the bike. It covered the entire glass viewing window. I already had a oil change kit and a air filter on the way. From what I’ve read this caused the oil to push out of the crank breather. I’m out of town till Sunday but I’ll find out when I get back. Replacing the oil and putting the right amount should resolve this problem if that’s the cause correct.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I appreciate it so much. I checked the oil level last night and even though it leaked all the way home the level was still ridiculously high. Should have noticed this before I even bought the bike. It covered the entire glass viewing window. I already had a oil change kit and a air filter on the way. From what I’ve read this caused the oil to push out of the crank breather. I’m out of town till Sunday but I’ll find out when I get back. Replacing the oil and putting the right amount should resolve this problem if that’s the cause correct.
I think you found the problem.

Be sure to install the oil filer in the proper direction - it will fit both ways. If it's installed backwards it will block oil circulation and toast the engine. It has happened numerous times, even by "qualified" Honda Techs when they first came out.

Be sure to check the air filter, and almost everything else you can think of, while you are at it.

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
88 Posts
the level was still ridiculously high
OK
the right amount should resolve this
YES But...
A good mechanic has a degree of restraint and patient, this is also what makes mechanic a good lover. Not for me, me have no patience...

Please finish testing the suspicion, and only after the test has clear results, only then you will decide what to do next.

If at the moment the suspicion is "Oil Level too high", take a syringe, connect a hose to it, and pump the excess oil out. In the meantime, do not ride long distances, check the oil level in each section of the ride, and take oil with you in case you need to refill.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
How are you checking the oil level? You should be checking it while holding the bike upright, not while it's sitting on the side stand. If the sight window is completely full while the bike is upright it's too much oil, but if the sight window is also still completely full when the bike is on it's side stand it's WAY too much oil.
If you can't syphon off some of that oil with a syringe or vacuum pump then you should refrain from riding the bike until you have the parts to do a complete oil change with the correct amount of oil, making sure you install a NEW crush washer on the oil drain plug and of course insuring that the oil filter is installed correctly.
I've been changing the oil on my 2011 CBR for over a decade and I still have to double and triple-check that I've installed the filter correctly before tightening down the oil filter cover. Whatever you do, do NOT over-tighten the oil filter cover bolts or use a torque wrench on them as they can easily break off. A simple hand-held bolt driver will give you a much better "feel" when tightening those bolts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts