Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Between the CBR250 and the Ninja 250, which one is easier to work on yourself as far as maintenance goes? I want to avoid the dealer to save $. I had a 150cc scooter and did all the maintenance on it fairly easily.This will be my new bike and I'm trying to decide which one I want.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I would imagine the cbr would be because it's a single cylinder vs. a twin. Plus after the intial 600 mile service (oil change and valve check/adjustment) you don't need anything but simple oil changes until 16,000 miles! Most people won't even have these bikes that long before they'll get something newer/bigger.

Not to mention these bikes were designed to be run in third world countries on god knows what kind of roads and very minimal maintainence performed(If any ever).

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Valves were at 7500 on my Ninja 250. The pregen('07 and before) valves are easier to do than the '08 and newer. You need to remove the camshafts to get to the valve shims. On the pre-gen ones, there was a lock and adjuster nut.

The CBR's difficulty is somewhere in between when it comes to the valves. However 16k vs 6000(pregen) or 7500(newgen) is quite nice.

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I have a deal on a red non-abs new cbr250 for $3549+$95 doc fee + $15 title fee + 7.75% tax or a new 2011 red ABS cbr250 for $4400 OTD. Or I can get a 2009 ninja 250 with 4k miles and a few scrapes for $2700 + $200 to have it shipped, so $2900 + 7.75% tax.

Decisions decisions decisons....

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I wish I was able to find an ABS. I paid 4800 OTD for a non-ABS. My impatience won out.:p

This your first bike? Used may be the way to go there. I guess that's up to you.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I would have to say that it is way easier to work on (and probably cheaper) the ninja than the CBR since it is carburated and there is a TON of DIYs on the internet for it. Our bike is relatively new and it isn't quite there yet. Also, in my experience it has been difficult to order even basic parts like an oil filter for the CBR at most dealerships due to high demand and low supply, where it has been rather easy to find parts for the Ninja.

I'm not trying to scare you off or send you the way of the Ninja, but I am of the opinion that the Ninja is easier to work on yourself for the time being except for maybe the valves.

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would have to say that it is way easier to work on (and probably cheaper) the ninja than the CBR since it is carburated and there is a TON of DIYs on the internet for it. Our bike is relatively new and it isn't quite there yet. Also, in my experience it has been difficult to order even basic parts like an oil filter for the CBR at most dealerships due to high demand and low supply, where it has been rather easy to find parts for the Ninja.

I'm not trying to scare you off or send you the way of the Ninja, but I am of the opinion that the Ninja is easier to work on yourself for the time being except for maybe the valves.
That's what I figured as well. Parts seem to be more expensive on the CBR and harder to find.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts

If you are just leaving the bike as is, the EFI doesn't give any issues.

The Ninja's are a tad lean from the factory, most people shim the needles..my dealership also had the oil filters in stock no problem.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yeah I think as far as stock to stock goes FI is waaaaay more reliable and trouble free than carbs. Not to mention it makes the bike just so much more enjoyable. No choke, no crappy running until warm, no ill effects of altitude changes, better throttle response, etc... Plus I think the point of availability of parts is a problem that has been fixed at least in the US. I think that was more of an issue last year when they came out and the dealers weren't getting any parts in yet or failing to order any parts. I think everybody is pretty much stocked up now. Plus as reliable as these bikes are I don't know what "price and availability" of parts you're talking about??? A valve adjustment at 600 miles and then nothing but oil changes (as basic as maintainence gets) for 16 THOUSAND miles! Even the guy (one lucky owl) that took his to the arctic circle and back and all over hells creation is barely over that!

·
Registered
386 Posts
A valve adjustment at 600 miles and then nothing but oil changes (as basic as maintainence gets) for 16 THOUSAND miles! Even the guy (one lucky owl) that took his to the arctic circle and back and all over hells creation is barely over that!
The CBR calls for a valve clearance inspection at 600 miles, and then again at 16K miles. The 2008+ Ninja calls for a valve clearance inspection at 7500 miles, and then again at 15K miles.

Maintenance costs are going to be relatively similar for both bikes, however the long term cost of ownership is probably going to be lower if the OP chooses the new CBR over the used Ninja and higher in the short term.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts