Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a new member from Australia.

Anyway I just wanted to share with you all something that I was told by a used bike salesman the other day.

I am also a new rider, which means looking for a new bike. Kind of exciting and eye opening. Any how one of the first bikes I looked at was the new cbr.

The other day I went to a learner bike showroom and the salesman asked me if there was anything I have seen and liked as far, I told him that i like the new cbr, and his response was "that is surprising" so I asked why. He went on to tell me "it was a girls bike, too easy to throw around corners and with the single cylinder would be too easy for me to ride."

I really liked the bike in the Honda showroom. Felt very comfortable. The only thing I didnt like was the exhaust. However if I choose to get one I will more than likely change it.

Oh also on the way home from talking to that guy guess what. I saw a new cbr on the road with a guy riding it. Haha.

Just wanted your thoughts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Did he actually say " too easy to throw around corners and with the single cylinder would be too easy for me to ride." ?

That's funny because that's exactly what I want in a bike. Something that's easy to throw around corners in the twisties and easy (read: enjoyable) to ride.

I love riding my CBR250R.
I'm a 41 year old guy and not at all girlie if that helps :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I am a new member from Australia.

He went on to tell me "it was a girls bike, too easy to throw around corners and with the single cylinder would be too easy for me to ride."

Just wanted your thoughts

My thoughts are for a new rider, isn't that exactly the point??!

Sounds to me like he'd rather sell you something bigger, and in my opinion that's a place to walk away from. Clearly he's interested in what he can make off you vs. what will be a practical and ideal bike to learn on.

I'm in a similar place you are right now and am just learning to ride. I've completed a training course, but likely won't buy until next May at the earliest (in Canada = no motorcycling between October/November - May). All of my research thus far has left me convinced that a 250cc bike, such as these new CBR's, or perhaps the Kawasaki Ninja's are a great place to start, and are powerful enough to also drive safely on the highway (where as a 125 may not quite have enough oomph when it comes to passing or merging, but even that opinion is debatable as I've read of people driving cross country on the CBR125's).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are u kidding? I switched from an G35 cage to a cbr250r bike and I feel like the manliness is pumping out the yoshi exhaust everytime I start the bike.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Your salesman clearly prefers the company of men.

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you want a bigger bike that is fine. If you need more cc's than this "girly" bike, you probably feel you are short on cc's in other areas and you're trying to compensate.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a friend with a '99 CBR600 who falls prey to the "small displacement bikes are for girls and wimps" mentality. He berates me on a semi-regular basis for not wanting a supersport for a first bike.

Our friendship is currently under review.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
An old adage:

The size of a man's vehicle is inversely proportional to the size of his old fella.

I don't know it is true; just get what suits your needs.

I have no time for smarmy sales staff telling me what I want, and often not knowing much about what they are selling. I have on occasion suggested that I should get the commission for the sale because I know more about the product than the person selling it to me.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If this bike gets more girls out on the roads and at the reststops I break at, great! I have a coworker who told me 'arent you ashamed to ride that, its a kids bike'. Funny thing is he doesn't ride anything currently.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Im an aussie, and I just did my pre provisional course today and everyone else commented on how nice the bike was!

Also that salesman is a douche.
But you will out grow the bike by the end of your restricted license.

·
Registered
400 Posts
if he had a cbr250 in stock,im sure ud be on here with a different story/thread..

it would of been "just got my cbr250 and im in love" type of thread lol

he would have talked the bike up sooo good to make u want it..

dont trust people that are out for your money.

shops that dont carry a certain brand talk down on other brands/models since they dont selll it..weather it be cars/motorcycles/dirtbikes/speaker anything...

·
Registered
13 Posts
sounds like he's been in the game long. he should be selling vacuum cleaner's because he sucks. you sound like you have sold your self a new honda cbr 250r anyway.

·
Registered
378 Posts
That's about the point where I would have kicked the salesmans balls and said "cool... so now you can ride it too". Then walked out.

·
Registered
193 Posts
That salesman is a wanker. A real POS.

I went from a Shadow 750 to the CBR250R and have no plans to "upgrade" to a bike that costs more to buy and insure, gets worse gas milage and goes WAY faster than I have any need to go. I'm 43 and male. I drive it like a bat out of he11 and it justs asks for more.

If you like it, get it (from someone else).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well... I've had a number of girls say how much they like the bike & want me to take them for a ride.

So if it's a 'girl's bike', I think it's working in my favor ;)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts