Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Regardless of the efficiency of this motorcycle, a lot people here in the USA see it as merely a beginner's bike. Not so says I. Here's a short story of how I came to see this bike as an upgrade in and of itself.

My main focus was a bike that would be the perfect daily rider. I'm not a weekend warrior, I don't give a crap about that idealistic nonsense about how a bike looks on paper, and I don't view a bike as simply a toy. When the rubber hits the road, I want the real deal for real world riding. No buyers remorse. Also, this is not my 1st bike, and this CBR has 3x less displacement than my last one.

I'd like to call a little B.S. for you folks on a couple of topics surrounding this bike...

1. "This bike doesn't have enough power for the highway": Bull. I ride the interstate as much as possible on this bike. It accelerates at speed as quick or quicker than the cars I'm on the road with. It climbs hills with a single gear downshift with ease. It's very sufficient for street use. In fact, I find it to be the most efficiently designed vehicle for the task I've ever operated. Highway speeds put top gear in the power band with just enough power left over to pass. Exactly what's needed; no more, no less.

2. "You need a bigger bike to ride 2-up": Bull. I do it almost every day. The GF and I live in an urban neighborhood and we ride it all the time. She also finds the interstate on this bike to be very comfortable. This bike, IMO, is more inline with the VFR family with its passenger friendly ergos and utility hooks.

3. ...VS a super sport; ergos sucked. WAY too easy to double the speed limit on public roads. I'll keep my cheap insurance and not have to hold back on my riding, thank you.

4. ...VS middle weight sport touring bikes. I love the Ninja 650R but, fuel economy sucks compared to the 250R... and it's several thousand dollars more in cost. Same for that tacky-decal covered FZ6R.

5. Cruisers? Sucks riding them with full gear. Highways suck without a windshield. Requires too many accessories to get them how I want them. Obnoxious loud pipe culture.

6. ...VS Open class/Dual sport? Am I the only one who finds these bikes dorky looking? Also, I'm 6'1" and I'm on my toes on a Versys and V-Strom. Windy at high speeds. No thanks.

I don't dislike any of these other bikes per se, but for what I need out of a bike, I'm just saying the CBR250R fits the bill better than anything else out there and should under no circumstances be relegated to "beginner bike" status. It's a very well engineered, well thought out, efficiency machine that can be an upgrade of its own.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
I agree completely on all counts. I "upgrated" from a 1000cc. The weight of the bike, not the power, was an issue. Man-handling a heavy bike took the fun factor out of riding. Where I live, the majority of my riding is highway and this bike handles it no problem, like you I drop a gear and he passes beautifully. I never two-up, but that is my choice as I prefer to be accountable for my life only:). I owned a cruiser which was my first bike, and after gaining experience along with riding a Ninja, I soon realized I like the handling and looks of a sport style bike. Shd I consider purchasing another bike, in the future, I will stick with the Honda cbr family and go with the 600rr. At this point the ceebee meets and exceeds my needs. Bigger isn't always better, it is how it is used that brings the pleasure:D

·
Registered
230 Posts
Rusty, Until we as americans get over the idea that you NEED at least a 600 to do the things you listed we are never gonna see a migration towards good, cheap, reliable transportation. About half of my riding has been two up with my wife and other then her saying the seat is little hard after an hour or so itsbeen great. I think you hit the nail on the head about having the same "fun" as the bigger bikes but a much reduced overal speed. (I won't lie though...it is intoxicating to twist the throttle on a bigger bike and watch the scenery fly by) Heck, I was stoked to see that Yamaha and Suzuki are getting ready to toss out some new 250's here in the states-might be just what we need for a motorcycle revolution here.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I upgraded to the CBR from a 1999 BMW F650. More reliable, handles better, better mpg, ABS.
That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

I owned a cruiser which was my first bike, and after gaining experience along with riding a Ninja, I soon realized I like the handling and looks of a sport style bike. Shd I consider purchasing another bike, in the future, I will stick with the Honda cbr family and go with the 600rr.
I'd like to keep it in the Honda family as well. I love how they've came back strong with their technology, and I love the cleanliness of their design as compared to other bikes. If it was just me, I'd maybe consider a 600RR, but I ride 2-up a lot. I wish the VFR got better gas mileage. My minimum acceptable limit is 50mpg mixed driving.

Heck, I was stoked to see that Yamaha and Suzuki are getting ready to toss out some new 250's here in the states-might be just what we need for a motorcycle revolution here.
This I wasn't aware of. That's great news! (totally Googling that right now)

·
Registered
724 Posts
My last two bikes were a PITA to push around the garage fully fueled. The ZX9 and ZRX1200. And gas hogs mid 30s gas mileage. I cant comprehend with today's gas prices going under 50 mpg anymore with a bike.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cant comprehend with today's gas prices going under 50 mpg anymore with a bike.
Whoomp, there it is. I couldn't agree more. It's gotta at least beat out a hybrid. Motorcycles look different when you're shopping for them as a legitimate means of transportation.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Great thread. it's a shame that more motorcycles cant compete with the MPG figures although i sense honda are leading the way on this with claimed 130mpg scooters and the 70mpg 600cc NC series, not forgetting of course our beloved 250's. talking of which im off out on mine now :)

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
^...are you thinking of the 700 NC series? :confused:

·
Registered
455 Posts
ninja is the best selling bike.
I hope Yamaha goes after the 250 race market. The ninja pretty much runs **** there. Even with the updated honda which kills the ninja in handling, its way to underpowered to compete in super stock. that said I haven't seen any movement from Yamaha or suzuki on a 250 bike. Only forum speculation but nothing official.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I got my CBR in Oct2011 and am loving it. put on 500km this past weekend mostly hwy. I cruise in 6th gear at ~7k rpm for a speed of 125kph indicated. I started with scooters.

50cc in 2007. too slow. dangerous on many streets. but great of short trips or in downtown traffic.

150cc in 2008. loved this bike. fast around town. even did short hops on hwy. tho its pinned at 100kph indicated.

460cc in 2010. big and heavy. thot it was what i wanted. something better on the hwy. fast bike. cruise at 130kph all day. wanted something comfortable for long hwy rides. this bike surprisingly was not. i missed my 150cc flickability and mad corner carving. hated the huge motor on a swing-arm, so much unsprung weight.

never thot i would end up with a sportsbike. did not like the ergos but the cbr was more upright and i found it more comfy on my back and neck.

I considered the ninja 250 went with the cbr for many factors such as price/abs/fuel injection and the honda name. This bike is faster than my ancient 71 CB350 i rode back in 1975.

that said. hoping honda will bring a 399cc bike here soon. (insurance jumps big at 400cc and up) While i love the 250 i think adding 150cc would make this bike perfect and also compete with the ninja400. And mite even be better if they up cylinder the cbr250 compared to the ninja 400 which is a sleeved 650 (less motor with same close to same weight as the 650)

·
Registered
902 Posts
It would be great to see a 400cc bike segment again. I don't like the 65mph freeway in rush hour traffic these days because with $4 gas 85% of the traffic behaves normally, driving 65-80, and 15% are these numbskulls driving 50-55 trying to save $4/week in gas. I see more and more of them every month. You come up doing 65-70 on the 250 and everyone is bunching up to pass them. It's dangerous, especially when it happens around an onramp or offramp and everyone is jostling for a place in the passing lane.

An extra 100-150cc and a slightly bigger windscreen/front fairing would make the bike a lot more at home on the freeway.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I got my CBR in Oct2011 and am loving it. put on 500km this past weekend mostly hwy. I cruise in 6th gear at ~7k rpm for a speed of 125kph indicated. I started with scooters.

50cc in 2007. too slow. dangerous on many streets. but great of short trips or in downtown traffic.

150cc in 2008. loved this bike. fast around town. even did short hops on hwy. tho its pinned at 100kph indicated.

460cc in 2010. big and heavy. thot it was what i wanted. something better on the hwy. fast bike. cruise at 130kph all day. wanted something comfortable for long hwy rides. this bike surprisingly was not. i missed my 150cc flickability and mad corner carving. hated the huge motor on a swing-arm, so much unsprung weight.

never thot i would end up with a sportsbike. did not like the ergos but the cbr was more upright and i found it more comfy on my back and neck.

I considered the ninja 250 went with the cbr for many factors such as price/abs/fuel injection and the honda name. This bike is faster than my ancient 71 CB350 i rode back in 1975.

that said. hoping honda will bring a 399cc bike here soon. (insurance jumps big at 400cc and up) While i love the 250 i think adding 150cc would make this bike perfect and also compete with the ninja400. And mite even be better if they up cylinder the cbr250 compared to the ninja 400 which is a sleeved 650 (less motor with same close to same weight as the 650)
I am going with the Ninja 500 mostly since the used availability is so good. Lots of clean ones to choose. I guess since it is used and less money the insurance was less on the Ninja by a fair bit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just put gas in my 250 for the first time. I don't know exactly what my mileage is because I'm not going to keep track of it, but I know it is outstanding. I use my bike for getting around town, and I love it. By the way, it was an "upgrade" from a 750. Whipsaw.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I couldn't agree with you more Rusty Shackleford. I had major problems with my brand new 2012CBR250r with ABS. It would get stuck in gear at all the worst times. The dealership took it in and replaced the entire gear spindle, plate, etc under warranty. So while I really did get a "lemon" for a brand new bike, it was repaired quickly and I went for my first ride last nite in the city....18 mile ride and I think I had a smile on my face the whole time. I am very pleased with the CBR (now that it is fixed) and know I will have many more great rides on it!!!!! Good in city traffic, and plenty of power for the open streets!
Matt

·
Registered
501 Posts
My last bike was a 2002 650 honda shadow ace. I upgraded to the 2009 Crf230M, then 4 months later upgraded to the 2011 CBR250. CBR best upgrade in all my street bike purchases. The Crf230M is alot faster thru the twistys, but over 45mph and the wind is just to much.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My last bike was a 2002 650 honda shadow ace. I upgraded to the 2009 Crf230M, then 4 months later upgraded to the 2011 CBR250. CBR best upgrade in all my street bike purchases. The Crf230M is alot faster thru the twistys, but over 45mph and the wind is just to much.
Wow I am surprised the crf230M was faster in the corners. Weight? It is higher. Go figure. My KLX is good for 55-60 but after that its less fun.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The crf230m weights 80lbs lighter than the CBR. And since its the crf230M it has 17" streebike tires on it. Not dual sport tires. Handles great on the twistys, I just dont like the wind anymore. Still better than my 650 thought. The CBR moves the wind away from most of my body, were the crf most of the wind hits my body.

·
Registered
350 Posts
ninja is the best selling bike.
I hope Yamaha goes after the 250 race market. The ninja pretty much runs **** there. Even with the updated honda which kills the ninja in handling, its way to underpowered to compete in super stock. that said I haven't seen any movement from Yamaha or suzuki on a 250 bike. Only forum speculation but nothing official.
Yamaha looks at making 250-cc sports bikes locally

By "local," the article is referring to India, I believe. However, the article indicates Yamaha is interested in Honda's success in the 250 market...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
So does anybody know why our bikes, which can hit 90mph, are assumed by so many people to top out at 55mph-60mph? I've honestly never ridden a 250cc before this bike, so am I to assume that older 250's wouldn't go much faster than that? Or is this a situation where people with bigger bikes wanna believe that ours are inferior in every way to justify the extra expenditure?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts