Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,913 Posts
Honestly?
Try a CBR150R. And go straight back on the CBR250, after.
There is not really a need in driving results, to get the bigger 250cc bike...
in the USA and Europe, superhighway travel is common and sustained speeds over 70 mph/ 115 kph are required which the 150 cannot guarantee. The 300 single is the perfect minumum engine size.
Exactly. Which is one of the reasons why AHMC never imported the CBR125R & 150R to the US. That, and they probably figured that those two models just wouldn't sell very well in a country where the motorcycle culture is for the most part all about "bigger is better".

I'm guessing that more than a few marketing types at AHMC were pleasantly surprised by how well the CBR250R sold here during it's first 2 years in the US.

@sendler - Not sure about the age demographic poll... could be one buried in one of the forums. To bad there isn't a way (that I know of) to cross reference just the threads that have polls attached to them.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
There are two street bikes in my garage: CBR250R and BMW F800GT.

The GT is the smallest, lightest bike I could find that mimics the CBR's light handling characteristics but is capable of relaxed, long-distance highway riding. I don't really need the maximum power that it can deliver, but I do find it useful in passing situations on two-lane roads. It's really like lighting a rocket when you twist the throttle.

I think I will always keep the 250. In fact, I rode it to work today and I really enjoyed just how small and light it feels. It always amazes me just how swiftly it handles corners.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am 64 and my wife is 59. After 25 years on BMWs (I had 8 and my wife had 6 of them) and almost 800,000 miles between the 2 of us we decided we needed a change and bought 2 2013 Harley Sportsters trading the BMWs in. After a few months my wife decided the Harley was too heavy for her and traded it for a CBR250 Repsol addition; she has had it 16 months and has 20,000 plus miles on it. I still have my Sportster but a year ago I bought a CBR250 also. We just got back from a 2,500 mile trip (Illinois to Montana) on them and my wife has been from Illinois to Colorado a couple times and to the Gulf and to Arkansas a couple times. She loves the bike and I like mine too. They will go 80 mph and do fine. We had a friend that told someone we couldn't go on the Interstate with them as they weren't fast enough. Most everyone thinks you need bigger and bigger.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
We had a friend that told someone we couldn't go on the Interstate with them as they weren't fast enough. Most everyone thinks you need bigger and bigger.
Ah, the infamous "you can't go on an interstate with a 250" myth. It's amazing how it manages to survive in the US.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Honestly?
Try a CBR150R. And go straight back on the CBR250, after.
There is not really a need in driving results, to get the bigger 250cc bike
0:)
aside, the look is almost identical.
My experience (N = 1) may not fit the group data - but I did just that. I own a 2011 CBR150R and "owned" a 2011 CBR250R. I ended up selling the 250R. Why? Well - the 250R was a great bike. No doubt there. And I miss it sometimes. And it had gobs more torque and hp than the CBR150R. However, it weighed about 70 lbs more than my 150R too. That's too much IMHO. The CBR150R just handles so much better, much snappier. More fun for me in the twisties. Now if Honda were to release some expensive lightweight, trick components for the CBR300R (e.g., forged aluminum wheels, aluminum frame, etc.) to bring the bike down to about 320 lbs - I'd definitely sign up again. O.K. - I know...I'm dreaming here....

·
Registered
529 Posts
in the USA and Europe, superhighway travel is common and sustained speeds over 70 mph/ 115 kph are required which the 150 cannot guarantee. The 300 single is the perfect minumum engine size.
No problem on the CBR150R, as long as you are travelling with other traffic that are pushing air out of the way for you. I have cruised comfortably fully loaded with camping gear (including large saddlebags and top case) on Hwy 400 (North of Toronto) at 75 mph sitting straight up - in those situations - with still some throttle left. Following at safe distances.

Of course - I like riding on Interstates and Express highways as much as house cats would enjoy acting out "The Hunger Games" with Ted Nugent. Are those high speeds required? It certainly would make it easier. Then again - I see lots of VW Westfalias and large motorhomes chugging along Interstates barely cresting 60 mph.

However, if you are alone on those highways - then maintaining those speeds on the CBR150R becomes more problematic - particularly if you don't have a tailwind. Or are carrying saddlebags, and a large top case. It can be a "struggle" in these situations. And what feels like a "fight for survival" if riding into a headwind, and uphill (though I also experienced this to a certain extent on the CBR250R too). Thankfully :confused: (I can't believe I wrote that) - these highways are often so crowded - riding alone on them is a rarity. And needing to ride on them is rarer still.

To combat issues associated with headwinds while touring with camping gear, out alone on roadways - I've recently decided to give up my saddlebags. Way too much drag on my last camping/touring adventure on the CBR150R. I will now use the top case, in conjunction with two Kriega US30 waterproof packs (mated on top of each other) on the pillion seat. Love the Kriega stuff - just snap it in - and go. My goal is to keep everything in line as best I can and reduce drag as much as possible.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming....er.....thread topic....

·
Registered
529 Posts
My aero plank style luggage set up on the R3.

And the new deluxe locking hard luggage.

Sendler - I've been following posts of your aerodynamic pursuits. Nice! I wish vendors would offer more aerodynamic options. As it stands now - I'll lose a little bit of luggage capacity with my new set up - and a little bit of convenience. But I'll still have plenty of capacity left - and my fuel economy and ability to cruise more comfortably and accelerate more quickly at highway speeds with full camping gear should improve noticeably.

·
Registered
119 Posts
There are two street bikes in my garage: CBR250R and BMW F800GT.

The GT is the smallest, lightest bike I could find that mimics the CBR's light handling characteristics but is capable of relaxed, long-distance highway riding. I don't really need the maximum power that it can deliver, but I do find it useful in passing situations on two-lane roads. It's really like lighting a rocket when you twist the throttle.

I think I will always keep the 250. In fact, I rode it to work today and I really enjoyed just how small and light it feels. It always amazes me just how swiftly it handles corners.
How's the front fork on the F800GT though? The forks on my F800s was pretty bad, had a little tankslapper once which somehow sorted itself out.

Somehow I find the CBR250r to be a better designed bike...
Having a sturdier kickstand, the plastics don't squeak and moan then being pushed about, less vibey even for a single.
Even the stock fork on the CBR (which I didn't really like) didn't cause me as big a problem compared to the F800s.

Or maybe it's just me comparing the second girlfriend (the BMW) to the first girlfriend (CBR250r) :grin2:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm 49 and would like the CBR 250 to be my first bike. Based one what I read around this forum, I'd probably want to keep it forever. When I joined this forum I expected it would be a bunch of kids (nothing against you kids) but was happily surprised to find older and experienced riders posting here as well.

I believe that smaller bikes help new riders learn better and are more forgiving of some mistakes. I also think they may be less intimidating and as a result just more fun than a larger bike would be to a new rider. I inherited a BMW R1200 which just sits in my garage (I know, that's a shame) but man does that bike feel huge! I took the MSF on a 150 and had a blast. No fear, no "oh carp" moments. I went to the Honda dealer and sat on the CBR and it just felt right.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
How's the front fork on the F800GT though?
I think it's outstanding. The bike comes with a factory fork brace over the front mudguard, whereas I had to add one to the CBR to improve front suspension stability when cornering on rough pavement.

The engine is very vibey, but that's a parallel twin for you. It doesn't cause me any discomfort or ill effects like numb hands. To be honest I don't even think about it while riding. I just enjoy the bottom-end torque and the top-end power.

The steering has a dampener on it; I don't know if that was added later on as a running improvement or not. You do have to take care to adjust the rear suspension preload for your weight and cargo weight.

With the GT, it is often necessary to adapt the ergos to your particular body type. It was made for a person about 5'-10" (1,8m) tall and about 180 lbs. (82kg). If you are shorter or taller than that, you will likely want to change some things (bars up/back, pegs down, windshield up, etc.) and probably fit a more comfortable seat. I have put on all the necessary bits and the bike is now extremely comfortable for me.

For me, it's not an either/or between the CBR and the GT. They are both tools that I use for different purposes. They both have their strengths in their assigned missions and weaknesses once you go outside their proper application envelope.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am 53. I have been riding since 1973 ( Honda Mini trail). Have had 15+ bikes. All makes and styles. The CBR250R is a near perfect blend. I know that personal preferences are just that...personal. This bike just fits my style. Light weight, comfortable, maneuverable, performance, simple, good on gas, cheap insurance and looks. For me, a winning combination. While I like many other bikes, I don't want or need anything different.

·
Registered
22 Posts
In total agreement with Oldguy50+, in that the CBR250R is a winning combination. I am 60+ and used to ride fast way back in the 70s on my RD400, despite the terrible upright riding position. I was glad to get off it after about 150 miles, whereas the Honda is so ergonomic I feel comfortable all day long despite the stiffness of old age!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've had this CBR for sale locally for a short time and I was a little surprised by the six people who seem to want it.

NONE have a car, and all need to find a way to come look at it.

NONE are put off by my refusal to let them ride it.

NONE of them have a place to keep it inside. All remarked on the cover that comes with it. Three would plan to keep it on the street.

ALL SIX live with their parents.
I've heard it said that sports bikes attract a lot of [young] people that probably shouldn't be on them, and I think I would concur with that statement.

If I could narrow down the possibilities, however, I would either assume: 1) you would still attract those that shouldn't be on it, but who also couldn't afford a 600 so they're going to settle for the 250, or, 2) you're marketing to beginners who have responsibly taken their MSF and know better than to jump on a 600 right out of the gate.

Better still, you have one (or perhaps two) out of the crowd who are not only teachable, but also exercise a bit of wisdom in discerning between a bike with utility (i.e. 77 mpg commuter) and a bike with flare (i.e. 600+ cc, less economical, 40 mpg, etc).

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm 52, I have a car and a bigger bike, the 250 sleeps in my carport, I 've only a friend who rides the same bike, he's also more than 50 but has no car and no garage, the CBR250R has absolutely no success here in Belgium ("to small and not enough powerful" they says) I don't agree with them, I really enjoy to ride on the country roads with it, a really pleasant bike ;)

21 - 40 of 56 Posts