Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had rattling noise in my cbr250r. After service it would go off .Bt again it started recurring.So I decided to inspect the chain with local mechanic and He told me that my chain sprocket is weak and wore. How could a sprocket wear so soon @4.9k kms. Can anyone help me with this issue.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I've had rattling noise in my cbr250r. After service it would go off .Bt again it started recurring.So I decided to inspect the chain with local mechanic and He told me that my chain sprocket is weak and wore. How could a sprocket wear so soon @4.9k kms. Can anyone help me with this issue.
If it's not been adjusted and lubed regularly it's going to wear quickly, especially if the roads are dirty.

I have almost 15,000 mi (25k kms) on my stock SV650 chain and sprockets, and they are not ready to be replaced yet.

It's also possible the metallurgy of the sprockets and quality of the chain are not the best.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Years ago I only had a bike and rode it regularly in the rain. Even though I'd clean and lube the chain regularly (with oil-based lube) it was almost impossible to keep it clean. Fine road grit would get everywhere in the drivetrain and act like sandpaper. Hosing off the chain after a ride in the rain did little for the chain and nothing for the sprocket. It eventually led to accelerated wear on both the chain and sprocket.
These days I only ride for recreation. I don't HAVE to ride in the rain and I avoid it whenever possible. I also now use a WAX-based lube that keeps the chain much cleaner than an oil-based one. The difference in sprocket and chain wear on my 2011 CBR is quite noticeable compared to what I had to deal with on my old Yamaha 400 that was regularly ridden in bad weather.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The chain cleaning and lubrication should be done every 500 to 700kms, depending on the usage. If your bike ends up in the dirt every time you are back from a ride, then you should do it more often at around 500 -600 kms.

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
39 Posts
If it's not been adjusted and lubed regularly it's going to wear quickly, especially if the roads are dirty.

It's also possible the metallurgy of the sprockets and quality of the chain are not the best.
The chain does not only need adjustment and lubing but also frequent cleaning to prevent it from wearing out itself and the sprockets..
... Even though...it was almost impossible to keep it clean. Fine road grit would get everywhere in the drivetrain and act like sandpaper.
... If your bike ends up in the dirt every time.
you are back from a ride, then you should do it more often at around 500 -600 kms.
I have almost 46,000 Km on my stock HONDA INNOVA chain and sprockets, and they are only NOW, and only the chain ready to be replaced (But I intend to replace the whole set: Chain and Sprockets.

I ride in the rain, but in Israel there are not many rainy days.
I lubricate with SAE90 GEAR OIL every 200-500 Km.
I'm not riding at dirt roads.
I do not usually strain my 125cc engine (without an additional passenger).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts