1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day,

I am new to this forum.
I have 2 questions:

1. How do you start a new thread? (Looked everywhere)
2. Is the Enigne Oil drain plug on the CBR250r magnetic?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Greetings Samar,

Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Just an FYI, the drain bolt is the regular head one that's near the kick stand.
NOT the star headed one above the header pipe.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Wonder why that star headed bolt is even there? I pulled it out by mistake the first time I changed my oil.
I don't know. I suspect it may have something to do with the oil pump but that's my Very Uneducated guess.
I know just enough to be dangerous but not enough to be competent :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everybody for the warm welcome :)

Do you guys think if its a good idea to get an aftermarket magnetic drain plug, since its a new engine might have more metal filings then a used engine?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thank you everybody for the warm welcome :)

Do you guys think if its a good idea to get an aftermarket magnetic drain plug, since its a new engine might have more metal filings then a used engine?
Put it in and let us know if it picks anything up;) I wouldn't worry because the engine has a filter and a stainer in it, but if you try it out and it picks up a ton of steel then we know it might be useful. I wouldn't expect to see large chunks of metal. Those might have been visible in my first oil change at 100 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oil Drain Plugs on most Honda and Kawasaki street bikes up to 1000cc

Just an FYI for many who do not know...

The most famous/widely-used/popular oil drain plug for for most Honda and Kawasaki streetbikes (especially under 1000cc bikes) is the M12-1.5 size. 12mm diameter shaft with 1.5 pitch threads.

This size drain plug can be found online in dozens/hundreds of stores including eBay and Amazon. This one size fits thousands of different Honda 2-stroke motocross like CR85, CR125, CR250, as well as recreational dirtbikes like XR50 XR70 XR75 XR80 XR100 etc, and CRF recreational models like CRF50 CRF70 CRF80 CRF100, Honda ATV's including the infamous TRX250R, Honda streetbikes from the last zillion years including most CB, CBR, VFR models (up to 1000cc), Kawasaki streetbikes (up to 1000cc), some Kawasaki dual-sport bikes like KLR650, Yamaha 2-stroke motocross bikes like YZ250 and up to 2004 YZ125. It probably fits more models from dozens of years past than any other size drain plug known to man.

Other than that, if your bike is larger than 1000cc, it likely uses an M14 (14mm) drain plug. Most Yamaha streetbikes use M14 drain plugs.

And most of the recent model Yamaha YZ250F, YZ450F, YFZ450 ATV and newer than 2005 YZ125's use the M10-1.25 drain bolt.

Most Kawasaki 2-stroke motocross bikes like KX250, KX125 use the M10-1.5.

Most Suzuki motocross bikes like RM125, RM250 use M12-1.25

But if you ride a Honda streetbike or recreational dirtbike, Honda 2-stroke MX, or Honda ATV, it VERY LIKELY uses the M12-1.5 oil drain plug... As long as the previous owner never accidentally stripped out the OEM plug and had to tap out to a larger size.

The easiest way to find out what size bolt you have is to measure the diameter of the hole that the drain bolt came out of. That's a good start. And I highly recommend you purchase a Nut / Bolt Gauge that will tell you the size and pitch of just about any nut / bolt on a motorcycle /atv. This little doo-dad is just priceless. They are all over the internet for purchase as well. Just search for Nut Bolt Gauge.

Happy Riding, Y'all!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts