Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hopefully I am attaching a link to an image of the kit I have just fitted on my CBR250R (the site is confusing me!). They are all over eBay, but oddly I don't see anything about them on forums. So here goes..

I fitted mine last night, with the help of a very competent friend. I also lowered the front end by about 15mm by siding the forks up through the yolks. At the same time I added an extra 15ml of fork oil to each leg - making for a nice slight stiffening, and anti-dive effect. Lovely!

So, how is it...

Well, fitting wasn't entirely straightforward. The longer bolt supplied for the rear doesn't have quite enough threads, so a couple of washers were needed to space it properly and allow us to lock the nut up properly. Other than that, fitting of the lowering kit was fine.

I dispute their claim, however, that it goes from 0 to 4" lowering. To lower the bike you lengthen the dog bones. These were already 50% extended (screwed out) to meet the standard ones' length. There is no way 4" of lowering effect to be gained by screwing them out further without becoming seriously dangerous( not enough threads left). I think my effect is lowering by about an inch only - enough for me though. I wouldn't be happy extending these dog bones much more than this...

Lowering the front forks was easy, just loosening the yokes and feeding them through, then adding more fork oil.

She now feels race prepared, believe it or not! It has improved the ability to turn in, and feels perfectly stable too. The only downside is it makes me want to go faster into the corners - could lead to death! lol

The extra 15ml of oil in each fork legs is also a massive improvement, no diving, but not harsh either - lovely. Just lovely handling; feels super flickable.

Err... what else... aah, the turning circle is reduced markedly. This kind of surprised me, but when I did a U-turn to come home I needed less space. It actually surprised me enough that I had to do it again. Yes, definitely there. That's going to be great in tight parking areas.

Lastly, I noticed when I pulled in to park that my foot touched the floor before i expected it to. I guess that's obvious, but it was an odd sensation nevertheless. Followed by a smile at having my feet down properly (not flat, but not far off - perfect for me).

I am a happy chappy!

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Unfortunately, I went that route initially :(

You are right that it does NOT lower the bike to a claimed max of 4". In fact it does NOT lower the bike at all! Possibly 0.25" but that's it, if at all. See pix below:

With the adjustable link maxed out like above, measurement was 30.5" for seat height using two levels.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, these links are very unsafe. Users will always max the links like above to get any results. There are incidents where these break just by going thru potholes and subsequently damaging the bike. It could have been worse though.

I replaced them with these Yana Shiki links - fixed 1.25" lower.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I've never been a fan of lowering a bike, but I understand some people would rather have it lower, which is cool with me.

As far as the cheap Chinese lowering kit.. I wouldn't ever dare. You are messing with your suspension and bad parts should never be used. Imagine, Going 70 mph down the freeway and you hit one of those 6" drop off's, and your link breaks. Can you imagine how out of control you would be?

zmanh2's links look a whole lot better and I'd trust those for sure as they are solid. I don't like the whole idea of that Chinese one, but if it makes you happy then cool.

Also, After lowering the bike I would seriously suggest you getting rear sets so you don't constantly grind your pegs going hard into corners.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've never been a fan of lowering a bike, but I understand some people would rather have it lower, which is cool with me.

As far as the cheap Chinese lowering kit.. I wouldn't ever dare. You are messing with your suspension and bad parts should never be used. Imagine, Going 70 mph down the freeway and you hit one of those 6" drop off's, and your link breaks. Can you imagine how much out of control you would be?

zmanh2's links look a whole lot better and I'd trust those for sure as they are solid. I don't like the whole idea of that Chinese one, but if it makes you happy then cool.

Also, After lowering the bike I would seriously suggest you getting rear sets so you don't constantly grind your pegs going hard into corners.
i agree with the above comment - replacing OEM with chinese parts, especially a critical suspension component, would give me fits of anxiety everytime I went over a bump or pothole. No offense to chinese manufacturers, but they are notorious for producing sub-par quality parts. I'd much rather spend the extra money and go with something else.

I'd only get chinese parts for cosmetic mods and the like (ie. windscreen, bar ends, foot pegs, grips etc.) Just my two cents.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Are you sure the reason you made a sharper turn isn't due to added confidence knowing you can put more foot on the ground? I would think (by applying simple geometry) that lowering the bike will reduce lean angle and thus ability to turn. I am a short rider with a 29" inseam but I ride the bike with stock suspension. I can only put half the balls of my feet but that enough for me to balance and move the bike. At the red light I use my left leg and lean the bike over a bit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Typically, I don't think U-turns are done at full lean anyway... so it's not a matter of reduced lean angle.
Low confidence can cause fear even in a U-turn at 5 mph. However, this statement from the OP definitively involves lean angle:

"She now feels race prepared, believe it or not! It has improved the ability to turn in, and feels perfectly stable too. The only downside is it makes me want to go faster into the corners - could lead to death! lol"

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
A photo of the links installed

My apologies for one photo attached per post, but I couldn't get multiple to work... :confused:

With this amount of extension I believe the bike to be lowered by about an inch. There are about half of the threads still within the device. This is as far as I was happy going...

View attachment 23530

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was going to attach a few more photos to show the lowered kickstand (we took about 15mm out of it and re-welded it) and to show how much we raised the front forks through the yokes (about 15mm). It seems, however, that I can't attach any further photos. I guess us newbies have limits applied to our accounts to prevent spamming?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
In relation to the comments about u-turns:
Hi, no it is not lean angle. This is on a narrow mountain road, at walking pace. I never put my foot down doing u-turns, so not a confidence thing. It simply turns tighter. Raising the front forks, and therefore shortening the wheelbase slightly has much more effect than you imagine - certainly more than I imagined!

Regarding safety:
Mine are nowhere near fully extended and feel reasonably strong - but I do see that other options are stronger. My problem, is that being in Thailand there are limited options available...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, you've all, quite rightly, put the fear of dog (like god, but I can see them and believe in them) into me...

Aluminium, just doesn't seem like the right material for this item. It also doesn't lower the bike very much unless extended beyond "safe" limits. However, it could be used to shorten the dog bones by about two inches if anyone wants to heighten their bike, lol.

I have opened a complaint on eBay, since the device doesn't do what they claim it does (lower the bike by up to 4 inches). I will have my money back very soon :p

Instead, I have had the original dog bones lengthened and extra holes added (see attached photo). I'm going to put that back on later today! The two sets of holes in that one are now, one set at standard length and another at +2cm. Here is the joy of living in a country where labour is cheap. The fabrication was done at a custom motorcycle shop, and is of very high quality - total cost $10 US and done while I waited. Price included painting, lol

photo.jpg

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Don't 'lower' motor cycles.
Buy one that fits if you are less an 4"8"
Don't fit Chinese parts.

/The end.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Don't 'lower' motor cycles.
Buy one that fits if you are less an 4"8"
Don't fit Chinese parts.

/The end.
Oh, to be so knowledgeable and wise... :eek:

New improved dogbone fitted. The 2cm additional length on the dogbone, coupled with raising the forks through the yokes by a similar amount, seems to have had an effect of lowering the bike by about 1" or so. The new seat height (with a very reduced seat foam depth) is 28". This works a treat with my 29" inside leg. I'm still not flat footed, due to the seat width, but I am close enough to be very stable manoeuvring the bike around in car parks and the like. That's me done - perfect!

As expected, it also rides beautifully. Much better "turn in" and flickability. A lot of people talk about the negative impacts of lowering bikes, but I think most are just repeating what they have read and actually have no idea... I see no downside to this at the moment.

The pictures below show the lenthened dogbones in place and the stance of the bike (including how much foam you can take from the seat - and it is still remarkably comfortable; although that could be down to my bum fat!).

Note that the additional hole added to the dogbone is at the original length so that I can easily switch back to standard, if I was to so choose.

10646781_1498544223722630_2093092333894744489_n.jpg

10409681_1498543820389337_8219607163246573952_n.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...and here's the dogbones "ruined". I insisted that the eBay seller paid the return postage since what they sold didn't do what it said it could do (lower by up to 4"). After a few emails back and to, and me giving them an ultimatum - pay all, or I simply take up a complaint with eBay, they told me to just smash them up and send them a photo.
I attempted smashing them with a big hammer, to no real effect (very slight bending - they are actually pretty strong!), and in the end just drilled a hole in each. They accepted this as "smashed" and have refunded my Paypal - hooray, I got my money back on the useless junk, but still have a pair of useable fence tensioners, lol.

10639684_1470246459914032_6699153952696398971_n.jpg

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Oh, to be so knowledgeable and wise... :eek:
I apologise for coming across so direct which may have sounded harsh, but be very careful reducing a bikes clearance and changing its dynamics so much.
Just 5-10mm differences makes major changes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
careful on your side stand; the bike will sit more upright and will be easy to tip over. You will find a centerstand to be more stable, but harder to put the bike up on because it sit sits lower.

Jerry
Yes, you definitely need to modify the side stand. When I fitted the Chinese dogbones and lowered the bike a little I had a little over a cm taken from the side stand to make it reasonable.
When I replaced the Chinese dogbones with my 2cm extended original dogbones this lowered the bike further, making it sit too upright again. This time I had a "v" taken from the side stand to "bend" it outwards, as shortening it further would have made it too short and the bike unstable. This worked really well and the lowered bike now has a decent lean and a nice safe stand. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts