Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I've found that opening up distance behind and seeking open spaces ahead is a risk reduction strategy that puts me in control of my own destiny and does not place blind faith in the random elements of mankind on the highway.

When I was a new driver, my dad used to tell me to drive smart and not try to press a point of law with another driver because "You can be dead right." By which he meant, you may be technically and legally in the right...yet still get killed by the negligence of another.

On a motorcycle: when it comes to survival, I will always choose to flout the laws of men before I will try to flout the laws of physics, time, distance, and statistical probability.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Stopping distance and reaction time are all part of the laws of physics, time, distance, and the statistical probability you won't react in time when an incident arises. Riding is one gigantic balance of risk and decisions.

In my many years of riding, I've had no accidents (very fortunate) and have avoided many. 99% of those happened in front of me, and had I been traveling faster, things may not have ended as well. 75% of all motorcycle accidents involve either rider error or excessive speed.

I simply stand by my position from experience, the deaths of several friends, and highway statistics: If you find yourself using excessive speed to improve your situation, you're trading one death trap for another. I choose to avoid evil instead of picking between the lesser of two. >:)

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
This conversation reminded me of this viral video. A situation where using speed to solve an problem creates a bigger problem. The rider was riding aggressively initially (EDIT: rider was filtering through stopped traffic, which may not be legal in Florida), which upset an unusually aggressive driver.

He's lucky he didn't get killed.

You are much better to pull over as quickly as possible if ever confronted with something like this. I'm not advocating excessive speed to remove yourself from a situation, more like a short burst of acceleration to gain some space. Nothing like trying to "run away" from a threat.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
OT
So you moved to Canada before the election?>:)
/OT
Ha! Nope; the Canadian immigration website crashed with all the traffic and couldn't get through. :laugh:

Wow; that video is nuts. Seems the motorcyclist posted another video for how it all started:

In summary, the guy in the car was mad the motorcyclist filtered to the front of a light (I think they're in CA, so that's legal, but regardless). He decided to aggressively accelerate after the light changed to keep the motorcyclist from getting in front of him. Motorcycle dude got mad instead of letting it go, and swiped the car driver's mirror.

What I'm curious about after watching those videos, is what that dude has under the hood of his old-lady Fusion to keep up with an R6.

That's when it all started; here's how it ended:

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
What I'm curious about after watching those videos, is what that dude has under the hood of his old-lady Fusion to keep up with an R6.
I remember thinking the same - how can the car hang with the cycle? I don't think it was anything special, but goes to show you aren't going to easily outrun a car like you think you would, though obviously rider skill level plays a big part.

And BTW, Fusions aren't just for old ladies and lunatic road ragers! We just bought a 2016 (new style) - and it ain't bad! OK, my wife gets to drive it, but she ain't that old either!:)

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I didn't watch the video (not interested in idiotic road rage) but I don't think there are normal cars that can keep up with a R6. That thing has ~120 HP while only weighing 350 - 400 pounds. No way anything but a high powered sports car can keep up with that when the rider really wants to get away. That's why a lot of cops don't even bother chasing speeding super sports.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I didn't watch the video (not interested in idiotic road rage) but I don't think there are normal cars that can keep up with a R6. That thing has ~120 HP while only weighing 350 - 400 pounds. No way anything but a high powered sports car can keep up with that when the rider really wants to get away. That's why a lot of cops don't even bother chasing speeding super sports.
The motorcyclist was doing a lot of stupid things (riding into oncoming traffic to try to get away, etc.). I don't think he was pushing the bike as hard as he could (seemed like a new rider), and the Fusion guy was going ballz out to stay with him. The rider had plenty of options to turn around or stop instead of going on a wild chase. Ending of the story is they both were acting like idiots; one is lucky to be alive, both were sent to jail. :smile2:

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
questions of rational pre-emptive or
in-the-moment avoidance strategies
and responses are not based on
this or that road rage video..

avoidance does not mean taking them on..
any time a car chases you, or makes aggressive
moves towards you, its a signal to disappear..

this could mean slipping thru narrow gaps
in traffic etc, away from the nutcase..

a policy of good road citizenship
is the best or a good policy..
within, undestanding of our special
vulnerability and,, options for
avoidance and escape routes..

[speed/velocity is always,, a factor..
yet i would speed on 3-4hour weekend runs
on cbr750sohc so as to get to the outskirts
of my destination, before,, peak hour traffic..

thus in those situations speeding
was an avoidance strategy...

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
questions of rational pre-emptive or
in-the-moment avoidance strategies
and responses are not based on
this or that road rage video..

avoidance does not mean taking them on..
any time a car chases you, or makes aggressive
moves towards you, its a signal to disappear..

this could mean slipping thru narrow gaps
in traffic etc, away from the nutcase..

a policy of good road citizenship
is the best or a good policy..
within, undestanding of our special
vulnerability and,, options for
avoidance and escape routes..

[speed/velocity is always,, a factor..
yet i would speed on 3-4hour weekend runs
on cbr750sohc so as to get to the outskirts
of my destination, before,, peak hour traffic..

thus in those situations speeding
was an avoidance strategy...
Now our dear Shiso, you know that the zen approach would have you scheduling your trip departure time so that you would avoid the rush traffic hours at an enjoyable, relaxed speed to enjoy the ride. :wink2:

All my friends hate when it's my turn to plan our trips; 55MPH 2-lane scenic biways with no interstates. Sure, it takes about 20 minutes longer to reach our destination, but the blood pressure is low and the morale is high. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
All my friends hate when it's my turn to plan our trips; 55MPH 2-lane scenic biways with no interstates. Sure, it takes about 20 minutes longer to reach our destination, but the blood pressure is low and the morale is high. :grin2:
They should go easy on you, after all everybody knows that a 250 can't go on the interstate.:nerd:

>:)

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
my dear schroeder, your logic is faultless,,
however, i was a defence force member
back then, constrained by a military clock..

state of mind is i agree most important,,
especially when riding a motorcycle..

my ride starts well before
mounting my motorcycle,,
then when she's ready, i take a few
slow gentle full breathes, sinking into
myself before switching over to
'motorcyclist', then, taking off..

slowly with precision at very low
speed,, then into our ride..

·
Registered
619 Posts
So that's why they all ride 1800's. I thought it was just because of their small penises. 0:)
<CHORTLE>

Well, we had an 1800. A 2001 Goldwing, in fact. It was a great ride for on the interstate . . . and necessary while loaded with me and my wife, our luggage, and towing a trailer with our camping gear.

But we got rid of it and I don't miss it. ( We won't sleep on the ground anymore, so we got a 13-foot Scamp travel trailer and a Highlander to tow it. It's the Lap o' Luxury compared with tent camping! ;^)

41 - 56 of 56 Posts