Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Ill start this one.

Why is Honda not selling the bike until April or whatever not?

Why does it take them one whole third of a year to deliver a bike that's been getting reviewed since Christmas or something like that?

If the assembly line was up and running at the end of 2010, why the long wait???

Does anyone know?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would assume that the Asian Markets have depleted the stock from honda. As these bikes do sell as hot cakes on that side of the world> in Thailand Malaysia, china , Korea etc. Bikes are a huge part of transportation. in those countries.

As for North America the demand isnt as high so i guess were not number 1 on the priority list.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is learnt that Honda plant in India shall supply this model to India and South America while Honda plant in Thailand shall produce & export to the rest of the world.

In Malaysia, Boon Siew Honda (the official distributor) is getting a limited number of 200 units from Thailand this year.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thailand to produce to the rest of the world is a huge Demand. I don't think 200 Units to Malaysia is enough from one plant. Ive been to Malaysia and bikes are a huge part of transportation there, as the use for big fast cars are not really needed. Also locals who travel short distance prefer to ride.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't believe Thailand alone can fill the demand for the rest of the world. The CBR250R is a WORLD BIKE, it's cheap, and has a lot of things people want. Demand for this bike is huge and will still grow. I also heard a CBR250R manufacturing plant will be in North America somewhere, it was one of the southern states.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm an excited new rider. My first bike and I am trying not to get caught up in the hype. Honda is an international company. So, I don't understand the lack of marketing. Public Relations is about getting the word out to customers/potential customers. If I'm missing the mark, educate me?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm an excited new rider. My first bike and I am trying not to get caught up in the hype. Honda is an international company. So, I don't understand the lack of marketing. Public Relations is about getting the word out to customers/potential customers. If I'm missing the mark, educate me?

I'm assuming you are from the US based on your screen-name. The mentality here isn't geared toward smaller displacement bikes so it's harder to reach the market here. The rest of the world does seem to be having launch parties and other events to display the bike. How much press/marketing/hype do you hear regarding the Ninja 250? I really see or hear none- other than by word of mouth.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would assume that the Asian Markets have depleted the stock from honda. As these bikes do sell as hot cakes on that side of the world> in Thailand Malaysia, china , Korea etc. Bikes are a huge part of transportation. in those countries.

As for North America the demand isnt as high so i guess were not number 1 on the priority list.
India is really high on this bike. In less than a month after they started booking for this bike, they had 1800 bookings, when they havent even seen the bike nor a launch party.
I don't believe Thailand alone can fill the demand for the rest of the world. The CBR250R is a WORLD BIKE, it's cheap, and has a lot of things people want. Demand for this bike is huge and will still grow. I also heard a CBR250R manufacturing plant will be in North America somewhere, it was one of the southern states.
There will be two plants in India which will cater to the needs of the world. Its capacity would be close to 35 units per day(Just a speculation).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Like just about everyone else, I'm a little disappointed that the timeframe for the US roll-out for this bike is a moving target. But I'm just disappointed, not fuming. I determined that a lot of people were putting deposits down on the CBR250, and although not a single bike has been delivered, I didn't want to show up at the Honda dealer in June or July only to hear "I pre-sold every single one I had by April, and I have no idea when I might get more of them." As it turns out, when I called my local dealer he only had ONE of these bikes left in his "coming-at-some-point-in-the-future inventory". So basically, anyone looking for one around here is going to have a MUCH longer wait for the bike, as they will have to wait for the SECOND batch to come in. Dare I say .... maybe September, or October?? Who knows. I think a huge percentage of the first bikes to hit the dealerships are already sold to pre-payers who have a deposit in. It'll be interesting to see if I'm right, I know for sure that it's the case in my local area.

That's pretty much why I'm not really obsessing over the fact that nobody seems to know exactly when the CBR250 is going to get here. If you are really interested in getting the bike, I suggest you put some money down on one yesterday. I'd rather get in on the first batch than the second one. I'm more than willing to cut Honda some slack on the delivery time. While I agree that a "solid" delivery date would ease a lot of people's minds, Japan as a whole has much bigger problems right now. If that means parts getting to Thailand are slow, or transporting parts is difficult, and I might have to wait a couple of months longer than usual, I can deal with it.

I'm quite sure that Honda isn't playing any games, they're just typically tight-lipped about what they consider "their own business problems". (Like all the Toyota recalls in the past couple of years, they're slow to react a lot of the time. Then all of a sudden it's a big deal, and they've missed the chance to limit the damage to their reputation.) Whether it's demand for the bike, or problems on the Japanese mainland, I'm sure Honda as a company would much rather have 5,000 of the bikes on hand to sell to whomever has the money and wants one. But that's just not the case, and there's nothing I can do about it.

So I'm waiting, kind of forgetting about it for a while, and I trust that my dealer will let me know in a month or so what HE knows. I'm willing to wait a few more months, and I find it easy to wait because I know I'm going to get mine as soon as they get here.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I put my deposit down a while back now and had a few different arrival times for the bike. Both have passed. So I am getting a bit fed up. I want this bike. Not a Ninja or a used bike for a good price. If I wait a few more months I've bought a bike that will be sitting in a Garage as the Winter will be on it's way. We have a very small opening in this part of the world for riding our bikes. I was able to justify this purchase to my other half on the savings alone in gas. Problem is I haven't saved a penny yet. So I feel that Honda should give us a date to expect our bikes or an honest answer of "We are sorry but with the crisis in Japan things are not going as expected". If I was given that answer by Honda (not the dealer) I would understand and sympathize.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Im from Ottawa, Ontario and have a red one coming in. The dealership has always been great with a constant agreement that it would be here by April. He told me he would keep me posted but after emailing him yesterday now he says May 16th because of the Japan disaster. Im starting to get fed up, as like stated many times here in Canada the riding season isn't very long. Perhaps a used Ninja...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Eggs - I received an email earlier this week from Honda Canada and they stated that they did not know of a date. Only that it would be spring of this year. Maybe ask your dealer how he came up with the May 16th date.

·
Registered
22 Posts
ou8jonesy - The guy told me Honda Canada told him yesterday that the first shipment is due on or around May 16th

·
Registered
115 Posts
I hope your right Eggs! Just seems weird that Wednesday Honda Canada says no idea when and on Thursday your dealer says May 16. I too just got an email from my dealer. He said May 15th. At least they are in the ball park with each other. What sucks is I was told first week of April, then second week. As we know that has passed.

On a brighter note. I'm only 250 or so km from you. If you want to go for a ride sometime in May look me up!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Delivery date in ontario

I appreciate the updates from fellow Canadians . It seems we've all been kept in the dark for quite some time now. My dealer is still saying April but the may dates you mentioned seem more reliable. I sure hope it doesn't get pushed out to June or I will be switching back to team green before their inventory starts to be depleted. Please keep the updates coming. If I hear any news I will certainly post it. Cheers

·
Registered
100 Posts
another bit of news from ontario

I just called and spoke with a saleperson at Barrie Honda who said that theyt are still showing end of April for the delivery of their initial order. all but one of the bikes coming in are spoken for. So again there seems to be some discrepancy in delivery time frames, with two dealers telling me april, and others being told from honda canada mid may. I guess all we can do is wait and see... :confused:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts