Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating to be motorcycle only. Sell my car and be on my GT traffic bike and my CBR250R since the car is **** expensive. Payment and insurance is close to 500 bucks/month. Any of you just have the bike and that is all?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have had just a bike since April. If you are somewhere you can ride all year, go for it. Unfortunately, I'm buying a car again soon because Pittsburgh winters, well, suck. To ride in, at least.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Got rid of my car after I did not use it for almost 2 years after getting my first bike. Mumbai is not a car friendly place. That car, with150,000+ km on the odo had only been as far as 100 km away from the city. The bikes have made it all over India, furthest almost 3000km from home.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've been motorcycle only for almost 7yrs now. However I would like to insert a caveat here and state I'm single, no family, live in florida (year round riding weather with an occasional 30 degree day).
It definitely saves me money but as I said I have a living situation that's very conducive to motorcycle ownership as well.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am in LA area, so the weather is good, I do take trips across USA, but I hate the cost of keeping my car. Is just too **** much. I might sell mine, and get another beater and cheap insurance.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I sold my car last year after it broke down and just got the CBR in July '11. I live in the DC area so public transit is tops and don't need a car during the week, except snowy winters suck here. I tried renting cars on the weekends when the weather sucks but that gets old an a bit expensive. It's nice to have a cage on call 24/7. Eventually a car may find its way back on my list. If I lived in a sunny year round place I'd probably stick to just the 250.

·
Registered
148 Posts
...get another beater and cheap insurance.
That's my plan. Once I sell my scooter, I'm going to buy an early- to mid-90s car to have around. I will probably end up eventually lightly modifying that, too (hoping for a 4th or 5th gen Civic), but I want to start out with a cheap base.

I have a Zipcar membership that I got a great deal on (didn't pay the normal ~$100 starting out)...while it includes everything, there are none that are very convenient for me, and even a two hour trip costs at least $15. I'm willing to pay to insure and maintain a car if it means having it at my disposal nearby 24/7.

·
Registered
235 Posts
remusrm, to me this is a simple decision based on time and money.

How often do you realy need to use a car?

When you need to use a car how much time pressure do you have?

It's pretty easy to run the numbers and see that if you can live with the increased amount of time that it takes to rent a car or hook up with something like a ZIP car when you need a car, and need a car once a month or so, it's often cheaper not to own.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes...and also enjoyment. As much as I enjoy riding my motorcycle (and loved not having a car for the warm months), for me there is something to be said for cruising twisty back roads in a car that handles well. My Subaru was an absolute blast to drive, and loved plowing through snow, too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm consider a subaru impreza wagon, the new ones look nice.
Ah. Differing tastes...I stopped liking the looks of the Imprezas after the 2nd gen (2007, I believe). Same with the Legacies, except those start going downhill for me with the 4th gen and after 2009 I can't stand them, either. IMHO, Subaru's cars all look generic and kind of boring compared to how they used to be (and they keep getting bigger, too, but that's not just Subaru).

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

How often do you realy need to use a car?

When you need to use a car how much time pressure do you have?

It's pretty easy to run the numbers and see that if you can live with the increased amount of time that it takes to rent a car or hook up with something like a ZIP car when you need a car, and need a car once a month or so, it's often cheaper not to own.
I use the car to commute to work and run errands and go here and there. I do have a dachshund dog, but i bet I can get a dog bag and it should be ok. I am single after a run with crap women, so I want to focus on me and recoup my investments in future ex gf/wifes

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have owned, or had access to a motorcycle for all but a couple of the past 45 years. I have always had a bicycle too. I have owned a car at odd times when it was necessary, none newer than a dozen years old, none costing more than $1,000.

Mostly I have just rented a car the odd time I need one. The last time was about three years ago when my niece and her boyfriend visited. A year later my bother and his partner (her parents) visited. They rented a motorcycle.

I bought a motorcycle for my girlfriend, and paid off the balance on her father's bike when she walked out of her job and was unemployed for a couple of months.

When she started hankering after a car that we had no need of, she became my ex..... She sold her motorcycle and is helping her new beau pay off his car.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Long run I'm not too sure about savings. Most 250's run maybe 30k; if I'm wrong about this bike please chime in. A cheap car, even new, say a 15k Yaris, runs reliably at least 150k and many people get over 200k out of them. I think even at 75 mpg and with cheaper insurance the CBR works out to be more expensive transportation. Hate to say it but if I was hard up I probably just wouldn't ride. Bottom line - I don't think you can really make an economic justification for owning a bike, even one like the CBR.

·
Registered
795 Posts
- I don't think you can really make an economic justification for owning a bike, even one like the CBR.
+1
I don't know how to work on bikes so I have to rely on the local stealer, and at
$90 an hour labor cost, it's the same as some car mechanic's rates if not more. If you compare it to a car there is only the possible benefit that the 250 won't make too many trips to the shop.

I agree with an ealier post, for some of us the 250 is a "toy", although an expensive toy relative to your wallet contents, but ultimately a FUN toy :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts