Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
CBR250R police bike, common now! are they serious. Don't get me wrong the CBR250R is a nice bike, it's why im on this forum =)

But for police use, its not something i would recommend. I guess your right that standards in Malaysia are different. If it was in America you would see a CBR1000RR as a police bike.

The CBR250R sure does look good as a police bike, i like it. Kind of intimidating....

·
Registered
99 Posts
For a while bike in all honestly i don't know what kinda of speeder they plan to stop with that 250cc bikes, its great looking bike it doesn't seem that a single cylinder 4stroke motor, that tops out @ 165KPH.. cant stop anything.

i dunno maybe the cars there are lacking some speed as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In Malaysia, there are several types of Police bikes.

The common ones are:
Honda CBX750
Honda VFR800 Interceptor
Honda ST1300

Malaysia is not a very rich country, therefore with a limited budget, CBR250R might be useful for patrolling / maneuvering in a highly congested traffic area where vehicles can't go very fast.

As for highway patrols, they use the bigger cc bikes.

However, M'sian Police haven't announce the purchase of CBR250R yet. Perhaps the photos shown above are Honda M'sia modified version to lobby the sales to M'sian Police.

It is indeed looks very cool (minus the power) :D

·
281 Posts
In many countries small motorcycles are utilized just as would be a patrol car....in the cities and communities...they don't necessarily chase speeders with them. The small cycles are economical to run and maintain..you can have lots of them..and they convey law enforcement presence..

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Here in Thailand police mostly get around on 100 & 125 step-thrus. I think they are mostly their own bikes. You see the odd Harley and other big bike ridden by a police officer. There are some department owned bikes kitted out police style, including a large number of the 200cc Tiger Boxer (a small Thai manufacturer). I have also seen a few of the previous CBR150 model, but none of the current model yet. They have a few police BMWs, and maybe other big bikes, which are mainly used for ceremonial purposes.

Police here do not bother with chasing speedsters or other moving violators. They prefer set up checkpoints where motorcyclists sans helmet, licence, current registration, and even the odd drunk obligingly stop to be booked. They usually cough up a "fine" on the spot, sometimes with a ticket being issued, sometimes without. Foreign tourists, and teenagers are big contributors. Car owners seldom have time to stop.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Do I stop at Thai police checkpoints?

Usually I just ignore them and carry on straight through. Occasionally some young copper insists I stop, so I do, but I don't stop the engine. Once they see an old chappy with a Thai licence they quickly lose interest.

In more than 12 years on Thai roads I have only had one parking ticket, along with about 25 others parked at the same place. What a hassle. I had to walk a couple of km to the police station to pay that, then walk back with a receipt to get the bike released. The police have a much more convenient "one stop service" at their checkpoints.

Tourists are an easy touch (though International Driving Permits and English language licences of the correct type are usually accepted), and local young folk sometimes find their bike and themselves subject to a fairly thorough search.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts