Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Concerned about problems (stalling out, rattling) some people are experiencing. If you may, please post how many miles are on your bike and if it's had any problems. I would like to see if maybe I can get a ratio of problems/no problems for reassurance (want to buy a brand new CBR250r).

(I'm probably just over concerned. Probably .002 percent of the people that own the bike actually encounter problems. Thanks though).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re. Problems with bike.

The only problems I have with the bike is I can't stop riding it and when I'm not riding it I am dreaming about riding it. My work and sex life are suffering the most. Dam it Honda.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I have 2,600 miles on my bike and it does have the engine rattle. It runs great but annoying. The mode buttons on the dash work hard but some say that gets better as time goes by. The gas guage isnt accurate but other than that its a great bike.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had repeating stalling problem only during first ~300 miles. And after 600mi service its _completely_ gone. I am at > 4000miles now - no problems at all.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have the rattle too but it seems to be getting better. (could be my imagination)
A little over 2500 miles so far and I've had zero problems. She hasn't even needed so much as a drop of oil or coolant added. She doesn't leak oil. She doesn't burn oil. I can't say that about any other bike I've ever owned.

I can hardly believe how reliable and efficient this bike has been. I hope I don't jinx it by typing this :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Concerned about problems (stalling out, rattling) some people are experiencing. If you may, please post how many miles are on your bike and if it's had any problems. I would like to see if maybe I can get a ratio of problems/no problems for reassurance (want to buy a brand new CBR250r).

(I'm probably just over concerned. Probably .002 percent of the people that own the bike actually encounter problems. Thanks though).
You are probably being overly concerned. On any forum, it's full of people with problem, looking for help. So you see a lot more problems posted over and over. And by asking the question here, I am afraid the replies you receive will probably be overwhelmingly on the problem side.

It's a Honda, not some poorly made Chinese POS. You are getting a well engineered, well made, and very well priced motorcycle.

·
Registered
52 Posts
105 miles in the first week of ownership.. No problems! The comment about dreaming about riding is true.. lol. **** Ohio weather.. I did get out yesterday for 30 minutes in 30 degrees though.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
1000 km in the fist week, then 1000km per month for the past 2 months.

No problems, but I run my bikes in, do not fit senseless modifications, Knew full well it had 23hp b4 I bought it, and know where the owners manual is.

They've tried to pick the **** out of this little bike on here.. and it still comes up trumps, some cant even put fuel in or use a sidestand without whining lol.

My Mirror bolts rattled loose.. maybe I should have started a thread about it and called the lawyer to sue Honda and my dealer haha.

·
Registered
47 Posts
No problems, but I run my bikes in, do not fit senseless modifications, Knew full well it had 23hp b4 I bought it, and know where the owners manual is.
Ditto (at 45 yrs I'm too old for boy racer mods), 2024 miles. 3 or 4 stalls whilst changing down early on but none recently. Overall I'd say the bike is pretty faultless. And anyway, with a 2 year warranty what is there to worry about?

Steve.

·
745 Posts
~5000 miles, no problems - even though every once in awhile I hear something that could be described as the rattle that some find intolerable. It's a thumper, and I've been told by people I trust (that know a heck of a lot more about it than I do) that it's nothing to worry about.

From my point of view, I've got a sweet-handling bike that cranks instantly regardless of temperature, looks good, is easy to maintain, and pure fun to ride. It doesn't leak oil or have parts constantly loosening like some I've owned, and everytime I walk by it I want to go somewhere on it.

If you look hard enough, you can find something wrong with anything. That Lamborghini Aventador is probably a gold-plated bitch to tune; that stunning blonde probably talks too much, and that 12-ounce perfectly marbled ribeye will clog your arteries.

There are a lot of disadvantages to growing older: one of the rare advantages is that you develop a pretty good sense of what should bother you and what is irrevelant. To me at least, my little CBR has zero issues - except that it's 30 degrees outside and I'm working, so I can't go for a ride.

Luke

·
Registered
66 Posts
outside of the occasional engine rattle (which I personally think is a non issue) I've never had any problems with mine. A little over 17,100 miles and it still runs like brand new. The second valve check was in spec for mine as well.

Any first generation motorcycle will have a few bikes that give problems but overall I'd say this bike has an excellent build quality. I've owned several bikes but I think this may be the one I own to past 100k miles.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Measly 291 miles on her and didnt break it in my the manual. I ran it to redline on the way home from the shop 1st ride. No rattles whatsoever and no stalling.

And lucky owl, what a trooper 17k already.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Thats a big mileage already owl, well done :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
No problems, just a huge gas savings on my commute and lots of fun. Mine does have the rattle and it's finally in the shop today getting it's winter sleep oil change. I couldn't get off it with all the warmer weather we being having. They verified it and are going to look into the rattle to see if anything going on.
One thing I did notice is before the 600 mile service on a cold start it would take 2 starts to stay running. After the first service it was gone and ran noticeably different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
They've tried to pick the **** out of this little bike on here.. and it still comes up trumps, some cant even put fuel in or use a sidestand without whining lol.

My Mirror bolts rattled loose.. maybe I should have started a thread about it and called the lawyer to sue Honda and my dealer haha.
LOL! I couldn't agree more. I joined this forum to investigate the bike (I haven't bought it yet, but I will) and I was floored by of the complaints. Complaining about the tank cross member? Really? You don't know how to put gas in it?

I mean yeah it's a beginners bike but that doesn't mean it's going to be good for retarded monkeys.

Yes I'm sure a few (and I mean a very very select few) have legitimate problems with theirs that will hopefully get sorted with Honda. But most of what I've read just sounded like whining.

·
Registered
999 Posts
As was stated, the complaints always massively outweigh the compliments.
I've found that it doesn't matter what brand you look at, the few with problems are far more vocal than those who are trouble free.

If I had listened to complaints on forums I would have never have gotten a Buell which was the most fun I ever had on two wheels. Like most motorcycle forums (pick whichever brand you wish), the minority who have had problems would have me believe that the bike was a totally unreliable p.o.s. that would break down on me the second I got her off the lot. This was of course completely inaccurate. The only problem I ever had with it involved a deer and a patch of black ice. (and a four foot deep ditch)

So make note of the complaints you read here as things that can possibly happen, not things that will happen. Most riders don't frequently make posts to say how well their bike is running or how trouble free it's been once the honeymoon phase is over and forum members are only a small percentage of actual owners so you can't get a fair or even remotely close to accurate ratio on the net.

·
Registered
117 Posts
these are my issues. 110 miles bike has not been serviced yet.
1. engine rattle, started noticing it around 60- 80 miles on it. However that is around when i first started going up into that rpm range. not so annoying though.

2. Bike never stays running after first crank. Always keeps going though after the 2nd one though.

3. Bike is too much fun.

·
1,305 Posts
Around 250 miles it started to stall when the clutch was held in (not when changing gear , when sitting a light/ downshifting).

Since the first service, no issues what so ever.

·
Registered
636 Posts
400 miles black non abs..Pros: great starter bike for newbies(me), great bike for seasoned riders,never had any problems with stalling or shifting,breaks are great, handles awesome, light, Cons:not enough time to ride it, living in ohio means there will be 4 mos. of cold crappy weather..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts