Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any seem to feel that the rear brake is too weak or is my rear break not broken in yet? I some time use my rear to very slow speed stop and it does not seem to be slowing down.

I think Honda can improve the rear braking system, even though I and most people don't used it much but it will be very helpful in the oh s**t situation when you need to use both brake.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Quite normal but you'll need to take it to them to adjust it.

Some dealers don't degrease them. Some don't tighten things like they should. Some neglect other things.

Mine was the same, and the issue was that the bolt between the foot lever and the cable needed to be adjusted.

Just take it to the dealer and they should be able to sort out whatever needs to be done.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I keep having the problem of using my foot more than my hand during heavy braking..ive heard my back brakes bark more times than id like too, I need to teach myself to stop doing that..in other words..my rear brake works good..too good

·
Registered
221 Posts
I read somewhere (maybe it was in the honda driving guide provided with the bike) that one should be using 70% front and 30% back. Mines super weak, but it might be adjusted like that on purpose for new riders. I personally would like it a wee bit stronger, but I'v learned to live with it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
pgkool, having just finished the riding test . . . I can tell you that 70+% is referring to the amount of breaking your front brakes provide.

You _should_ apply both equally without locking either(if possible), but if you lock the rear it's not as important as avoiding a lock in the front. Do _not_ overapply(70%) front brake pressure because you will achieve a front lock easier.

For those of us without ABS this is vital information.

·
745 Posts
Progressive braking is the key - if you grab a handful of front brake all at once, you'll slide the front tire. However, when you apply the brake, the load shifts to the front wheel - as more load is added, you can apply more brake. At the same time, weight is moving off of the back wheel - so while you can apply more rear brake at the onset of braking, you need to ease off as the weight transfers forward.

Most experts recommend that you use the front brake as your primary brake. NESBA (North East Sport Bike Association) recommends for beginners doing track days that they not use the rear brake at all.

These rules apply whether you have ABS or not. Although the combined ABS in the CBR250 will apply both brakes, you can stop faster if you learn how to progressively keep the front brake right up to the point of lockup. ABS should keep you from sliding the front tire, but if you hit whatever you're trying to miss it's a moot point.

I wrote this awhile - check it out:

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/honda-cbr250-general-discussion/890-riding-tips-progressive-braking.html

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Weak

Yes the rear brake is weak. Mine was almost useless when new but it has broken in to be a bit stronger than it was. I still don't think it could lock the rear wheel unless also jamming on the front. I think it is designed that way to insure a balance between the single piston front and the rear brake during linked use on a bike with ABS.
My bike doesn't have ABS but they might use the same rear pads. I never use the rear brake anyway unless to hold a hill during take off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts