Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two years ago when I owned a Ninja250R and stored it in a shed over the winter, I had a problem with mice building a nest in my trunk space:

This spring even after setting traps and repellants and catching quite a few of the critters, I found ANOTHER nest, this time in my new CBR250R.
Instead of being located in the trunk area, on the CBR the mice had built their nest right near the airbox opening under the seat. I removed the debris and vaccummed as far into the airbox as I could with a small hose. I thought that was that.
A few weeks later I hauled the bike to the dealer for it's 600-mile maintenance - without starting it up first - I knew it would start, but didn't see any need to start it.
It's probably a good thing I didn't start it, because the service report noted "Rodent Nest In Airbox" when I picked the bike up. If I had started it with the unseen remainder of the nest still in the airbox things could have gotten expensive fast.
I'm considering adding a metal screen to the airbox opening to prevent this from happening again. There looks to be adequate room to work and attach a barrier screen around the airbox opening with a zip-tie or hose clamp.
Would adding a screen to the airbox (metal window-type screening) restrict the airflow adversely? I realize I would have to inspect it periodically and perhaps even clean it routinely, but I don't want critters setting up house in areas of the bike I can't readily see. How the heck do you keep these buggers away from your bike in the first place? Obviously the proven methods of trapping and repelling with mint AREN"T working.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Moth balls work well. Storing your bikes in a "shed" is slightly better than a "barn". Where the bike is stored is a big part of the problem. When I owned my dealership, we would see a fair number of bikes and snowmobiles come out of storage with the air boxes packed with critter nests. For some reason they really like air boxes on two stroke motors. Something about the two stroke oil they like. I'm sure any air box, to a mouse, looks like the perfect place to hunker down for the night.

I'd find a cleaner, more open place to store your bike. A small shed packed with "stuff" seems to attract the little buggers. If the shed is your only option, give the moth balls a try, mice do not like them at all.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
I have read that Bounce sheets (the fabric softener) work as a mouse repellent.
If it doesn't work as a repellent, at least the mouse will smell good, and be nice and soft n' cuddly. If your going to have mice living in your motorcycle, they should at least take care of themselves.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I had one build a nest in the exhaust of my last bike. It must of died in there because my exhaust, smelled like death till it got cooked from me running it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had nests in my CBR125 as well as my Matrix...little bastards chewed through the mesh on the airbox!...tried both moth balls and bounce sheets, no effect...quick-kill mouse traps are very effective though...

·
Registered
724 Posts
That is insane, I have been following bikes for over 10 years now and on various forums. Never ever heard or seen something like this. That is just crazy!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Good luck! A couple of winters ago, mice ate everything in my shed. They even built a next in a bag of Diazinon pesticide granules. Apparently those suckers will go anywhere!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You need a cat. :D
My cat would be too dumb to find the mice.

She'll chase everything but accomplish nothing.
We have the same kind of cat.

I've tried mothballs with little success. It seems that the only way they work is if you use so many the fumes become toxic to humans too. About the only thing that has worked at all has been trapping them, but just a couple of days without checking the traps and they have a nest half built. I live right next to a forest, so there's an endless supply of them. I was a little hopeful when I heard an owl in the area for a few nights, but he must have had his fill and moved on. It's a constant battle keeping them out of my house, but keeping them out of the shed seems impossible.
Which is why I think mouse-proofing the airbox in some fashion is a must. In my Ninja I could easily see where they were setting up house and remove it, but on my Honda they are building their nests deep within the airbox completely out of sight. I don't want a half-built nest being sucked into my engine.
I guess the only thing to do is try to screen the airbox opening off and hope it doesn't restrict the air flow too much. Sucking up an unseen nest is not something I want to keep worrying about. Thanks for all your suggestions.

·
Registered
206 Posts
google -self resetting mouse trap-caught about 15 one winter in my lifted subaru GL
I used RV anti freeze in the water

·
Registered
319 Posts
Should be fine, I noticed a gauze in the air box after the air filter the other day when I had the air box open

1 - 20 of 36 Posts