Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys I purchased a Honda cbr 250r 2012 from a friend he dropped the bike on the left side which bent the gear shifter so I bent it back out straight the bike runs perfect I just been having problems shifting at first I would ride and it would shift to 2nd gear or higher now it’s a struggle to get it to shift back to neutral I order another shifter but I really don’t think it’s that I don’t know if it’s the clutch cable bent or what

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Something else may be bent or binding. Take the assembly apart and check that it moves freely before hooking it back up to the engine's shift shaft. Lube the pivots and bushings. Make sure the joints are not turned in such a way that they are binding.

Bending the lever back carefully using an adjustable wrench on the shaft/rod may work, or it may snap, so have a new one ready if you need the bike for transportation. Heating may help keep it from breaking.

·
Super Moderator
6,925 Posts
Hello guys I purchased a Honda cbr 250r 2012 from a friend he dropped the bike on the left side which bent the gear shifter so I bent it back out straight the bike runs perfect I just been having problems shifting at first I would ride and it would shift to 2nd gear or higher now it’s a struggle to get it to shift back to neutral I order another shifter but I really don’t think it’s that I don’t know if it’s the clutch cable bent or what

How much free play do you have in the clutch cable (measured at the clutch lever)?

If there is too much free play, it makes shifting back into neutral difficult. Conversely, too little free play in the clutch cable causes the clutch to slip.

·
Registered
202 Posts
A while back I was having shifting issues. One of the issues is the bike seemed to not want to go into neutral easily along with not wanting to upshift without putting tension on the upshift switch prior to putting it in gear. I changed the oil and it totaled fixed the issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts