Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

The last time I went riding I was having trouble shifting caused by the shift lever not returning to its home position. Today while putting it away for the winter I decided to take things apart and find out why. What I discovered; the shift lever was almost seized to its pivot pin - it took a pretty good pounding to drive the pin out of the shift lever. But after a bit of time with some fine grit sand paper and then reassembly with a bit of grease, it now pivots quite smoothly.

This might be obvious maintenance for the old timers in the crowd, but I'm a new guy!

And another bit of trivia for other new guys who might want to look into this; the adjustment rod is reverse threaded at the transmission end of the rod...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Bob

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm having the same problem! I thought it was just because it was 40 degrees out, but now I am going to take a closer look!

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Hi Guys,

The last time I went riding I was having trouble shifting caused by the shift lever not returning to its home position. Today while putting it away for the winter I decided to take things apart and find out why. What I discovered; the shift lever was almost seized to its pivot pin - it took a pretty good pounding to drive the pin out of the shift lever. But after a bit of time with some fine grit sand paper and then reassembly with a bit of grease, it now pivots quite smoothly.

This might be obvious maintenance for the old timers in the crowd, but I'm a new guy!

And another bit of trivia for other new guys who might want to look into this; the adjustment rod is reverse threaded at the transmission end of the rod...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Bob
I had exactly the same problem. I managed to prise the lever off with a jemmy, freed it up, applied some copper grease, and put it back together. I put it down to salt water of winter roads acting as an electrolyte, causing corrosion between the pin and the gear lever. It can't have been lubricated from the factory.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts