Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 CBR250r that I have recently bought that has been sitting for few or more years they didn't say. I have placed a battery in it, cleaned tank (which was really dirty and full of crap, now its clean), cleaned throttle body. I have then tried to start with a little starter fluid which it started for a second so i then but the parts that make it run back on. i then tried to start it ran then died and then would start again, I then tried turning throttle it wound start for a split second while I moved the throttle up and down but would not stay running (note the fuel pump was really dirty and has some rust on it, it has been cleaned up tho). looking to find out what the problem is as soon as possible but waiting to see your opinion before i start replacing parts.

I have also tried removing air filter but didn't make a difference.
if i spray starter fluid in throttle it runs for a few seconds and sounds like its running (which makes me think its the fuel pump or injector)
I did also test to see how much fuel came out of pump and there was a fair bit of fuel.

so maybe blocked injector?
bad fuel pump?

should i clean spark plug or look?
change fuel filter?
change fuel pump?

Let me know if you need any other information

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
From what we have seen, fuel pumps fail rather easily.

The issue is fuel related, so don't worry about the plug right now. Not sure where the fuel filter is, but if you are sure the tank is clean I'd replace it.

Be careful buying a fuel pump. There are a few threads here that cover bad aftermarket pumps. They seem to be inconsistent when it comes to supplying adequate pressure, and it won't run without adequate fuel pressure. It seems some will pump, but not with proper pressure.

I always recommend running a fuel system cleaner like Techron Concentrate (1oz per gal) once per season. It may clear a stick injector after a bit of running. It also cleans the valves and combustion chamber of deposits.

I wouldn't use too much Starting Fluid - it's nasty stuff. Get a small bottle of gas that you can spray in the intake, then try to start it. Sometimes after a few attempts and sputtering it may start to run longer by itself. Vary the throttle opening and keep the revs up once it's running if possible. There may be air, or old fuel, in the system that needs to work it;self out.

If that doesn't do it, it may need a fuel pump.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you able to direct me to that discussion, I have been looking for awhile and to fail i haven't found any that are telling what are bad or good?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what we have seen, fuel pumps fail rather easily.

The issue is fuel related, so don't worry about the plug right now. Not sure where the fuel filter is, but if you are sure the tank is clean I'd replace it.

Be careful buying a fuel pump. There are a few threads here that cover bad aftermarket pumps. They seem to be inconsistent when it comes to supplying adequate pressure, and it won't run without adequate fuel pressure. It seems some will pump, but not with proper pressure.

I always recommend running a fuel system cleaner like Techron Concentrate (1oz per gal) once per season. It may clear a stick injector after a bit of running. It also cleans the valves and combustion chamber of deposits.

I wouldn't use too much Starting Fluid - it's nasty stuff. Get a small bottle of gas that you can spray in the intake, then try to start it. Sometimes after a few attempts and sputtering it may start to run longer by itself. Vary the throttle opening and keep the revs up once it's running if possible. There may be air, or old fuel, in the system that needs to work it;self out.

If that doesn't do it, it may need a fuel pump.
[/QUOTE.
What't the pumps pressure I've seen people say 43psi and google said the same but I've also seen people say 1-3 psi. (when i tested mine it got 0.5 bar which is around 7psi)

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
What't the pumps pressure I've seen people say 43psi and google said the same but I've also seen people say 1-3 psi. (when i tested mine it got 0.5 bar which is around 7psi)
I don't believe any F.I. system will operate properly with pressure in that range.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I replaced the pump and started easy as, it has no other issues been riding it all day lol.
Good to hear!

If you can, post a description and a link to the pump you purchased.

Seems they go bad quickly if there is any debris in the tank, and not all replacement pumps work.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,931 Posts
That KEMSO pump, according to the AU eBay listing, can not ship to the US. Need to use the US eBay site.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That KEMSO pump, according to the AU eBay listing, can not ship to the US. Need to use the US eBay site.

Just reading through this link and saw your comment, maybe search for the pump via the part number in the photos provided and I included the specifications in the description for you too. Hope this helps :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts