Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea what tires come with the CBR250R and if they are any good? I've heard mixed reviews on tires Honda puts on their bikes. The bad reviews have me concerned about safety and not getting the full experience out of my bike, things such as being unstable & lacking traction.

If anyone has experience with previous Honda bikes and can recommend me a good set of tires that will be awesome.

- James

·
Registered
6 Posts
No word on CBR250r tire types or brands but they did release the tire size which is as follows:

Front: 110/70-17M/C
Rear: 140/70-17M/C

·
Registered
2 Posts
tires

Tires are IRC, same as on zillions of other bikes over here in Asia.
A decent quality tire for the money. Not junk, but not a Race quality sticky wicket, last one day, superbike skin. Swapping to racebred high dollar ones have little value on this little scooter. Wear these down and then switch, if you must. If you yen to burn or just to look cool then go for some fashion. if you want fast, nimble, performance, buy an old 250RR.

·
Registered
9 Posts
While I am waiting for the bike(April)? decided to check out radial tires , Dennis Kirk had Bridgestone Battlax BT 090 for $87 and $114 free ship. I have used Battlax in the past and liked them. Received them a few days ago, They are Made in Japan, However they are "tube type". Back to Kirk to buy tubes!! I hope they perform like my previous Battlax's, Now I just need a bike to mount them on!!! Al

·
Registered
27 Posts
While I am waiting for the bike(April)? decided to check out radial tires , Dennis Kirk had Bridgestone Battlax BT 090 for $87 and $114 free ship. I have used Battlax in the past and liked them. Received them a few days ago, They are Made in Japan, However they are "tube type". Back to Kirk to buy tubes!! I hope they perform like my previous Battlax's, Now I just need a bike to mount them on!!! Al

Im new to bikes and trying to gather all the information and sources i need. What are you experiences with Dennis Kirk? Are they a reliable source for tires, or would you suggest a different source?

Since you have experience, what tires would you recommend to a newb? stick with OEM or go with something like Battlax?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Never compromise

I disagree with the Asia guy who says don't switch necessarily, etc.

IRC Road Winners are what come on the Ninja 250R. They are basic sport touring cheap tires.

Money well spent would be for better rubber. You only have two little contact patches, and sport compound tires are best. Yes they wear out sooner, but that's the price you pay for grip.

Recommend: Michelin, Dunlop, Pirelli, Continental, Metzeler, etc.

Go for the best OE size you can get.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tires are IRC, same as on zillions of other bikes over here in Asia.
A decent quality tire for the money. Not junk, but not a Race quality sticky wicket, last one day, superbike skin. Swapping to racebred high dollar ones have little value on this little scooter. Wear these down and then switch, if you must. If you yen to burn or just to look cool then go for some fashion. if you want fast, nimble, performance, buy an old 250RR.

Buy an old 250RR? In the U.S.?

Not likely. Never was imported here.

The 250R is it. Buy the best sport tires you can if you want to go around corners fast. If not, then stick with stock.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I disagree with the Asia guy who says don't switch necessarily, etc.

IRC Road Winners are what come on the Ninja 250R. They are basic sport touring cheap tires.

Money well spent would be for better rubber. You only have two little contact patches, and sport compound tires are best. Yes they wear out sooner, but that's the price you pay for grip.

Recommend: Michelin, Dunlop, Pirelli, Continental, Metzeler, etc.

Go for the best OE size you can get.
Dunlop Qualifier Q2s are known to be great. Not sure if they come in these sizes. Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs come well recommended too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dunlop Qualifier Q2s are known to be great. Not sure if they come in these sizes. Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs come well recommended too.
The new Michelin Pilot Road 3s look promising too. They have a long lasting tread in the middle for upright riding, and softer rubber on the sides for cornering.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The new Michelin Pilot Road 3s look promising too. They have a long lasting tread in the middle for upright riding, and softer rubber on the sides for cornering.

I've used Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs. Is the tread rubber on the side of the Pilot Roads the same, or a harder compound?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Give it Time and Miles

One of the advantage of these forums is the possibility to exchange ideas and avoiding repeating costly mistakes.

Therefore, It would be great if people using other rubbers share their experiences so we have a database to rely on.

Tires are always subject to opinions/taste/etc.

For now, let´s wait and see how the baby runs on their original tyres, and how long their last as well. :confused:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Does anyone know the stock spec tyre brand sizing etc?
Front Rim Size: 17 M/C x MT2.75
Rear Rim Size: 17 M/C x MT4.00
Front Tire Spec: 110/70-17M/C
Rear Tire Spec: 140/70-17M/C

·
Registered
129 Posts
i also consider to change the tire. should it be bridgestone or michelin? and is it okay to change the dimension from 110/70 F & 140/70 R to 120/70 F & 150/70 R?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I favor what Ninja6r wrote about size. Stock size if you can. I havve had to go next size in the past due to what is available. Oversizing a tire on a stock rim I think can give too much ballooned side wall, does this handle better? It might look good if it is not rubbing somewhere. There is so much manufacturer fitting information available I will check the tire makers site for fittment. Dunlop for some tires and bikes lists different tire pressures than the bike maker. I go with the tire maker in this instance.

I had a 1980 suzuki 1100 (pre GSXR), the stock tires on it were pretty good. When I went to replace a worn tire I thought I would just put the same on. It turned out the only place to get that size tire, and that model bridgstone, was at the dealer. It was an actual suzuki part number and cost about $170 USD in 1981. So I went aftermarket, we were getting good compound rubber for about $90. The size had to be bumped up once, because suzuki contracted their tire and size to be suzuki only.

I dont have my cbr yet, but I will wear out the tires before replacing them. I saw a guy on a Matchless 350 smoking modern sportbikes on the street. In the twisties everybody beat it off the line, he would get up to speed and keep it there. His tires were OLD (vintage) semi knobbies. I was riding double on an rz350, there was an fj 1100, some 600cc and a buncch of british bikes. Don had been riding abut 50 years at this time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
IRC in the rain

Had a bit of "luck" riding the IRC's in the wet - it was horrible. I never felt more insecure on a bike in my life.

I'm currently looking for replacing the tires, possibly to Pirelli speed demons that make them in the correct size for the cbr250.

Any other recommendations?

BTW, in the dry they feel just fine - which is why I think all the CBR250 reviews didn't trash the tires.

·
Registered
619 Posts
>>Pirelli speed demons
The MT75 is also available for these sizes, it's an excellent tire for wet NW roads, I used them all winter. I don't like the stock rubber, its OK on the front, will probably last a very long time though.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Randomize , did you break your tires in? they are slippery out of the show room and new tire changes. My scooter with 150 cc was squirrely in the corners with 70 miles on it, you have to go in gradually for about 100 miles. If you dont do any cornering, it will take longer. Unless you really like sliding.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts