1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
she's almost got her second RR.
after that , would like her to be track ready.:eek:

question to anyone that rides a cbr250r on the track:
what are the requirement for a motorcycle to be track ready ?
(im a little rusty):confused:
know you have to safety wire some bolts and stuff but can someone post a list or a link.

the only person that im almost 75% sure really rides a cbr250r on a track is my australian counterpart Aufitt but im not sure if the requirement over there are the same here in the U.S. :confused: , plus they drive on the wrong side of the road :confused::D

btw-who else rides a cbr250r ...........on the track !?:eek::cool::)

not yet for me but hopefully soon :)
...where do all the cbr250r race in the U.S. ?

·
Registered
311 Posts
STREETS OF WILLOW in SoCal
In Southern Cali, we have numerous track clubs. Once you take your baby out on the track and flog her; you will be hooked. Track time is addicting almost like a drug but in a good way :D

Take It To The Track has a web site which will quickly get you up to speed if you browse through it.
Ti2TT | WECOME TO TAKE IT 2 THE TRACK
Ti2TT | New Rider Program

FROM THE WEB SITE
RIDING GEAR:
One piece or zip together leathers (Aerostitch type suits are okay).
Motorcycle specific gloves.
Over the ankle motorcycle specific boots.
Uncrashed DOT certified helmet.
Back protector is highly recommended. RENTALS AVAILABLE, LIMITED QUANITIES AND SIZES AVAILABLE PLEASE CALL FIRST!

MOTORCYCLE TECH INSPECTION:
Excellent condition near new tires
No excessively oily or leaky machines will be allowed on track.
Good brakes.
Remove or tape mirrors.
Disconnect and/or tape over brake light.
Taping over or removing headlights and turn signals is recommended.
Using a non-glyol based coolant, such as water wetter, is highly recommended for easy of clean up in case of an incident or spill; the faster we get the track open, the more time you have to ride.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Good to see you going for the track SS.. got a feeling you'll go well :)

Just check your local state requirements be it Trackday or Racecraft style companies.
some of ours require full race spec lockwiring, catch tanks and replacing coolant with water etc.. others differ.

heres one of the Track day companies I ride with-.. you can ride a road bike with just road gear removed, speedo and glass taped over and away ya go, 2 pce leathers are approved.
Everyone ends up taking it a step further after the tuition .. its so addictive.
Home

·
Registered
464 Posts

Just check your local state requirements be it Trackday or Racecraft style companies.
some of ours require full race spec lockwiring, catch tanks and replacing coolant with water etc.. others differ.

heres one of the Track day companies I ride with-.. you can ride a road bike with just road gear removed, speedo and glass taped over and away ya go, 2 pce leathers are approved.
Everyone ends up taking it a step further after the tuition .. its so addictive.
Home
Thanks for the link - looks great.
When buying my CBR250R would you recommend paying the extra $500 for the ABS (The new stock that has just arrived in Rockingham is all ABS).
Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
PM sent wanderer, dont want to derail this thread into an abs discussion.. its been thrashed to death.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help :cool:

have to run out to put the new brake lines through the torture test , but will read this with patience when i get back. :cool:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I think I'd like to participate in a track day this summer, although I'm more than a little nervous because I'm a novice rider. I think it could help me be a better rider overall and they sound fun. Maybe someone with experience in attending these events could create a thread with details about what to expect and maybe even a list of events and event organizers (by country, by region) . Any volunteers?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I think I'd like to participate in a track day this summer, although I'm more than a little nervous because I'm a novice rider. I think it could help me be a better rider overall and they sound fun. Maybe someone with experience in attending these events could create a thread with details about what to expect and maybe even a list of events and event organizers (by country, by region) . Any volunteers?
I've never done a track day, but I did a fair amount of road racing way back when...(ask Snooper, he'll tell you I'm writing this from the Old Folks Home)

My suggestion would be not to try a track day so soon. Get some more time under your belt first (at least 2 full seasons), then take a performance riding school.

You need to have the basics of performance riding down before jumping on the track with other riders.

Jay

·
Registered
455 Posts
you'll should be fine on the track. Ihell of a lot better off then riding any type of performance on the street. They will start you in a novice group. People at the track will help you out. Find someone some experience, A homie or just someone new you meet at track and ask them to lead and set the line for you.

Your going to need safety wiring to pass through tech and you'll need to remove you tags and turn signals. You will need to tape off your headlight and brake if you aren't going to run track work. Im not sure how this is done but im sure the local high performance shop prolly can hook it up for you. also have to replace coolant with water.

you can start with a cheaper pair of leathers and move up from there.
and last but not least. BT-003's. Your going to want some new rubber. They will stick much better and send the street sniper confidence meter through the roof.

Warning: Im broke as **** all the time. Track days are expensive as a mF'r.
two days at barber this weekend is 260 plus new rubber. 250.

good thread here!

http://www.georgiasportbike.com/showthread.php?7715-New-to-trackdays-Heres-a-basic-guide-for-the-newbies

·
Registered
455 Posts
Thanks for the link - looks great.
When buying my CBR250R would you recommend paying the extra $500 for the ABS (The new stock that has just arrived in Rockingham is all ABS).
Cheers
Paul
not if your going to track the bike. cant take that extra weight on the track with ya. Its just to heavy

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
STREETS OF WILLOW in SoCal
Track time is addicting almost like a drug but in a good way :D

FROM THE WEB SITE
RIDING GEAR:
One piece or zip together leathers (Aerostitch type suits are okay).
Motorcycle specific gloves.
Over the ankle motorcycle specific boots.
Uncrashed DOT certified helmet.
Back protector is highly recommended. RENTALS AVAILABLE, LIMITED QUANITIES AND SIZES AVAILABLE PLEASE CALL FIRST!

MOTORCYCLE TECH INSPECTION:
Excellent condition near new tires
No excessively oily or leaky machines will be allowed on track.
Good brakes.
Remove or tape mirrors.
Disconnect and/or tape over brake light.
Taping over or removing headlights and turn signals is recommended.
Using a non-glyol based coolant, such as water wetter, is highly recommended for easy of clean up in case of an incident or spill; the faster we get the track open, the more time you have to ride.
thanks for all the info.just what i was looking for :cool:
got most of the gear , the info on the motorcycle was my main concern but most of the requirement you listed are already there.
was already going to swap the coolant for some Wetter Wetter !!(she loves that stuff);)

im going to do some more research but thank you very much for this info. :cool:

ps. cali is on the other side of the world of the U.S. but im sure they got similar events around here :)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Home
your avatar pic look super fun:):cool:
one of the reasons im prepping for the track:cool:
sound like she's already there !
getting tires asap , mine are done :(

what tires you recommend for the track and do you know any good sites for prices ?

btw- good choice on the color :cool: she looks good on the track :cool::cool:

p.s. track and street , not the same thing .... but equally deadly !!!:(

.....much comforting to know that if GOD calls on me , it won't be through a CELL PHONE !!!!!!:mad:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've never done a track day, but I did a fair amount of road racing way back when...(ask Snooper, he'll tell you I'm writing this from the Old Folks Home)

My suggestion would be not to try a track day so soon. Get some more time under your belt first (at least 2 full seasons), then take a performance riding school.

You need to have the basics of performance riding down before jumping on the track with other riders.

Jay
you just can't help yourself can't you !?

GET OFF MY D**K !!!!:mad:

my d**k does not say SV650 .... STOP RIDING IT !!!!!

you talk alot of s**t !!! first you say you race since the 70's but now you story is that you "street race".
do me a favor and just keep my name out you typing so i don't have to keep calling you out ..... LOSER !!! (you are not an "older person"...f.u. then)

"we don't believe you , you need more people"- the real J

i know your "suggestion" is just your opinion and opinions are like a******s , everyone's got one ..... just keep my name out your mouth.

and no , you don't need 2 seasons under your belt before you get on a track. some people go straight to the track and learn that type of riding right away.. no problems !!!!
sometimes works out better because they don't have to transition riding technics :p

that's why they have different levels of riding on the track ! no !?

retire your SV and get a CBR250r ALREADY !!!!!...till then keep your kool-aid-squid , weekend warrior , snooping , 46yo virgin ass out of my face .... PUNK:mad:

....ps. just kidding Jay :)
you know i got love for my #1 fan :cool:
..but seriously get a cbr250r so you can be part of the club ;)
....till the go snoop on the sv site , unless the squided you out already !!
:D:D

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
You crack me up Snooper!

You'll have fun at the track. Make a video so you can show me how it's done!

I just couldn't help name-dropping, you know I'm your biggest/oldest fan.

Jay

P.S. I never street raced, and I'm 48 yo...

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Heres a guide I wrote for someone wanting to use their roadgoing Ninja on the track trackdays.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Tape headlight & Tailight, I use the stretchy 50mm wide stuff thats like Insulation tape, I stretch over the light overlapping then carefully cut with an craft knife round the edges. (But 100mph cloth duct tape does same thing if you want quick job)
I like a tidy bike as they take pics EVERY lap.

-Remove mirrors, I put the bolts back in the fairing holes with washers.

-Remove Indicators, I put 10mm bolts back in the holes on a cbr as it mounts the fairing as well. unplug under seat and fairing.

-Remove Numberplate.

-Tape speedo (and fuel guage on a Ninja) so all you see is the Tacho.

-Set tyre pressures to the Minimum in the manual, so thats 29/30psi with the stock IRC's on a cbr, (same as Ninja I believe and very good tyres despite what some ppl say) remember when a tyre heats up it gains lots of pressure.

-Check engine Oil, I change mine every 4000km, If yours is older than that I suggest a change before you go.. the track really rapes our poor little motors.

-Check front brake fluid, if lever is spongy suggest you get a shop to bleed it and change fluid, rear brakes are not used.

-They let us run factory coolant so check when cold that its between the marks in the tank.

-Top up fuel tank full, you'll do about 120km for the day, I surprisingly only use about 5.5 litres and get about 4.7 l per 100 km at race pace. You will not need to take fuel like the big bikes do.

- no need to lockwire anything.

-------------------------------------

Thats if its a Track day company you choose to ride with and not a Race craft style company. ie lockwiring etc.. but I'm sure you guys in the US have far more options avail to you than us 'lepurs' :D

Other than that downlaod the Keith code pdf in my performance thread and read it every night.
Go on YouTube and watch onboard GoPro vids of your local track an memorise it to a Tee.
Choose a company that does tuition like the one I posted a few threads back,
the 3rd gear (4th on a 250) no brakes sessions are invaluable for when the pace quickens later in the day.

The most fun you can have with your clothes on.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you'll should be fine on the track. Ihell of a lot better off then riding any type of performance on the street. They will start you in a novice group. People at the track will help you out. Find someone some experience, A homie or just someone new you meet at track and ask them to lead and set the line for you.

Your going to need safety wiring to pass through tech and you'll need to remove you tags and turn signals. You will need to tape off your headlight and brake if you aren't going to run track work. Im not sure how this is done but im sure the local high performance shop prolly can hook it up for you. also have to replace coolant with water.

you can start with a cheaper pair of leathers and move up from there.
and last but not least. BT-003's. Your going to want some new rubber. They will stick much better and send the street sniper confidence meter through the roof.

Warning: Im broke as **** all the time. Track days are expensive as a mF'r.
two days at barber this weekend is 260 plus new rubber. 250.

good thread here!

New to trackdays? Heres a basic guide for the newbies
thanks HoP !! Georgia is closer that Cali !!!
the bike is pretty much track ready already :confused:
the safety wiring of the bolts was my main thing with this thread.
got all the gear but my tires are low , asked my boi Aufitt for his choice in tires but now is a open question to anyone.

..you ?(tire choice).. and any good sites for p.r's ?
personally like the pilot powers but there is a few others that i like :cool:

as for $$$ .... she's not as bad as the higher cc models :eek:
....just try to hook up your 600 like you did the 250 :eek::D

ps. when i used to ride with a "wingman" , i ran the #2 spot ..... ten feet back , stagger to his opposite side. only cops ride next to each other but the ride as a unit and practice every day.

...as for me...happy on the podium !:cool: don't care for first
....unless there is a prize:D

btw- speaking of wingman ... saw a geese the other day with a dead one lying on the road and the live one trying to beak the cars riding by for killing his wingman :mad:

reminded me why i need a wingman out here :(
but so far no cbr250's in sight :confused:

...another reason im looking into serious track time :cool:

thanks again for the info HoPMix , hope to see you on the track ;)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You crack me up Snooper!

You'll have fun at the track. Make a video so you can show me how it's done!

I just couldn't help name-dropping, you know I'm your biggest/oldest fan.

Jay

P.S. I never street raced, and I'm 48 yo...
that was quick :confused:

don't forget i got my RR video coming out soon !!!

got something special for your SV in it and something for the guys on the Gun thread !!!:D:D

ps- you got to get your stories straight bro , you are starting to confuse yourself :confused:;)

:mad:.....got'em !!!!!
:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,503 Posts

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
BT003 R & RS would be good but road riding will flatten them between track days.. just a point.

I'd use them if I had another set of rims which is on the cards when I buy a written off cbr for spares.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts