Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my CBR for three months. My brother just bought a 2007 Yamaha FZ6 last week. It's not his 1st bike.

We went on our first ride together last night - about 60 miles - mostly twisties. The 250 can hold it's own in the curves as long as the speed is under 60. When it came time to pass or the straightaways I was hoping for a 7th gear.

Both bikes are EFI. His is a hair taller than mine by maybe an inch but the riding position is similar. He's got the speed advantage by a long shot but I'm killing him via MPGs. All said, it's probably a decent second bike for some of us looking to upgrade.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I really want an FZ6R for my "upgrade" bike. I love the power, looks and still comfortable riding position.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2.5 months ago my naked ABS FZ6 was totaled in an ugly crash I had, wonderful bike, but not practical at all for daily riding, also not cheap to maintain here in my country: I am in Colombia.

Here the local Honda representative is importing the cbr250r only in ABS option and I can't wait for them to bring the tricolor and get one :D

·
Registered
724 Posts
I really want an FZ6R for my "upgrade" bike. I love the power, looks and still comfortable riding position.
I demoed the 2012 model. Its not for me the FZ8 is the killer bike most underrated bike out there. The FZ6R buzzes in the footpegs doesnt feel fast and is kind of boring.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The local yamaha dealer has a 2009 leftover (how in the world they have a 3 year old brand new bike sitting there is beyond me) FZ8 and it was marked waaaaay down(I believe it was around $7,200) and although it was a very nice bike I just don't like the naked bikes at all.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yeah I saw a few videos of them and they easily pull up to 130-135 which is mooooore than enough for me. I'd just be happy being able to quickly get around somebody doing 55-60mph. The ceebee will do it too it just takes a little too long sometimes for my taste.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Been looking at the middleweight bikes myself. Mainly for the *more* upright position, as well as additional highway power for interstate jaunts. I was *very* interested in the new V-Strom. Then I sat on it. 33" is too challenging to my 30" inseam, even with the lower seat (and didn't want to go the lowering links route). I took the impending NC700X off the table for the same reason.

The FZ6r was incredibly comfortable. Feels about 1/4-1/2" lower than our CBRs (perhaps due to a narrower, softer, seat), and is definitely more upright (which works for me). I demo'd it as well, and while I didn't find anything outstanding, it felt very familiar... a-la the CBR. It was definitely more stable (than the weebee) at speed, in the wind, and it was nice to overtake on the highway without a gear change, and just a slight throttle twist. The weight difference disappeared once it was moving. So, it's under serious consideration for me.

Issue is, I really, *really*enjoy the weebee. And if it didn't buzz at a consistent 70mph (or get blown all over the highway between 70-80), and if it was just a few degrees more upright, the FZ6r wouldn't be a consideration.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I'd like a 600 class bike that's still sporty but isn't a ridiculous riding position like the SS's. I also HATE the hideous looks of the dual sport bikes like the Vstrom so it basically leaves the ninja 650 and fz6r for me. After reading reviews and watching videos the fz6r sems like a better bike and I'm not a fan of the twin in the ninja. It'll be a long while before I even think of upgrading though just due to finances. Plus I want to get really, really good on this bike first before I get a bigger one.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Coincidental that so many of us narrow it down to the FZ6R and Ninja 650R? For me it'd come down to which ever one was a better deal and looked better for then gen it was.

·
Registered
414 Posts
for what its worth the CBF600-sa i can get flat footed on the middle seat height setting with a 29" leg. A great bike but not very sexy

·
Registered
41 Posts
I find myself loving the FZ8. But it, too, gets bad milage :/ What a beauty though.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Pretty much anything short of a scooter is gonna be crappy mileage after riding a cbr 250. LOL I know the 600 class inline 4 bikes only average 40's or so which sucks but when I'm ready to move up it's the price I'm willing to pay. I'd love to have enough money to be able to keep my 250 for commuting and have a 600 for fun but that'll never happen.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The twins get better mileage. I prefer the twins myself. Gobs of torque off the line.

I'd take a SV650 over a Ninja 650 though.

For now, sticking with the CBR. Probably forever. This is a bike I don't ever want to give up. I fit it perfectly. I'd only give it up for another CBR w/ ABS.

Come on Honda! White and black!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yeah or the gorgeous tri color or orange/gray ones they have for the cbr125's in the UK!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Too bad N.America is so car-oriented. I would love to see more variety in engine sizes. Some other thread somewhere was talking about 400cc bikes... might be the perfect step for people who complain about highway riding.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Pretty much anything short of a scooter is gonna be crappy mileage after riding a cbr 250.
Right? That's exactly why I bought the 250.

I'd take a SV650 over a Ninja 650 though.
As someone who wants an alternative to the FZ6R for a bigger bike, I've been looking at the Ninja 650R and the SV650S. I like both. What is the advantage of the SV over the Ninja?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts