Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cbr250r

I have a 2012 Cbr250r in the last 2-3 months it has been running flat after and in between rides I have put 3 new batteries in it also taken it to the mechanic they put a new regulator in it but still having the same problem has anyone else had anything similar happen charge is sitting at 12.4v at rest

· Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
1,075 Posts
Cbr250r

I have a 2012 Cbr250r in the last 2-3 months it has been running flat after and in between rides I have put 3 new batteries in it also taken it to the mechanic they put a new regulator in it but still having the same problem has anyone else had anything similar happen charge is sitting at 12.4v at rest
Welcome to the forum
I don't criticize mechanics, on the contrary, I appreciate them.
If you want to perform tests yourself you need to have a voltmeter, and know how to use it.
It's not one of the complicated tests, so I believe it will work for you:
  1. Check the battery voltage: It should be between 12.7 and 13.1 volts. If the voltage is lower the battery needs charging. Do you have a smart charger? (because otherwise the charging itself can kill your battery).
  2. Start the engine, and measure voltage on the battery terminals again. Should be at least 13.9 volts. If there is less than that, then the coils need to be replaced, (and sometimes the regulator-rectifier)
  3. If at 5000 rpm the voltage exceeds 15.5 volts so the problem is in the rectifier-regulator, but in that case the bulbs burn out, so it's quite clear that the rectifier-regulator is knocked out even without voltage measurement.
  4. When battery is fuly charged (voltage 12.7 volts or above), measure how much the voltage drops during starting, if it drops below 10 volts, then the battery is dead.

Most batteries die quickly due to a short circuit or a fault in the charging system.
Maybe your current battery has already died too?

The 4 tests are simple, tell us what you found.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts