Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am twenty living in Australia... I have found my speedometer to be out by approxaimatley 5-8 km's, i understand this is shaft driven speed sensor so in my knowledge i'm not going to attempt to correct this, i have grown accustom to this minor issue so i am not bothered, is there any way too correct this without contacting the dealer????

Cheering

·
Registered
78 Posts
Its normal for manufacturers to overstate the speedo's by a bit, helps the consumers keep below the posted speed limits. Normally should be around 3-5 km difference.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am twenty living in Australia... I have found my speedometer to be out by approxaimatley 5-8 km's, i understand this is shaft driven speed sensor so in my knowledge i'm not going to attempt to correct this, i have grown accustom to this minor issue so i am not bothered, is there any way too correct this without contacting the dealer????

Cheering
CBRBoi, yep I have it and it pi$$es me off...mine seems to have a flat 10% over error.
66 km/h indicated = 60 km/h GPS
88 km/h indicated = 80 km/h GPS
110 km/h indicated = 100 km/h GPS.

BUT the odometer is pretty well spot on. It seems Honda have just added in the error for the speedometer component only. By fitting an aftermarket inline pulse adjuster would correct the speedo but then create error in the odometer. Our US and similar forum friends don't report much of an error at all, so reckon it can be rectified by Honda 'secret' configuration somehow.

·
Registered
220 Posts
CBRBoi, yep I have it and it pi$$es me off...mine seems to have a flat 10% over error.

BUT the odometer is pretty well spot on. It seems Honda have just added in the error for the speedometer component only. By fitting an aftermarket inline pulse adjuster would correct the speedo but then create error in the odometer. Our US and similar forum friends don't report much of an error at all, so reckon it can be rectified by Honda 'secret' configuration somehow.

There is a 6% error on the Indian bikes too (Tested against my 60Cx).

Odometer tallies with less than 1% error against the same GPS

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
That's bizare but good to know that the speedo is off but the odo is dead on for the rest of world bikes. My USA CBR250R reads low by 1.4% on the odo but I never thought the speedo could have a different error so I never bothered to compare it to GPS and now I have a different sprocket on the front. But I think it was about the same. I am going to get a DDR The tach is 4% fast though. I can correct with the SpeedoDRD from 12oClockLabs and get the odo and speed dead on.
12oClockLabs

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
There was a thread about this awhile back and I remember posting I thought my speedo was out a bit. Noticed this when group riding. But some posted that they haven't noticed. Naturally thought it might be my error. It appears that some of our bikes might be out a bit. good to know. Thanks for your post:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i understand that speedos are set a touch out for compensation reasons but by this much i can't believe... "stumps" you are spot on the mark thank you very much i figured it out on the first day taking it home by judging the traffic around me... so i waited until my first service to see if that margin would slim due too breaking in and now at 4500 km's+ still at that same level... thank you all for your contributions... fingers crossed somebody out there has a DIY solution....?

P.S new to this Forum have been watching it for a while searching for an aftermarket exhaust judging off others experiences, it makes me wonder why they have not made an optional OEM exhaust... but to get to my point this is a TOP forum (A big Thumbs up)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem

QUOTE]

I am in Quebec Canada and I have exactly the same picture.... Will go and see my dealer. It's a lot to much...:(

·
Registered
221 Posts
Mate mine too is out by 10%, from Adelaide. Does bother me too much

·
Registered
619 Posts
I thought mine was right on. But a PO pulled me over, said I was doing 74, I'm pretty sure my speedometer read 76 though.

I said, Sir, how fast can a 250 go? He shrugged, I guess 74, I said, and we laughed. He took pity on me and let me go. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Is the odometer correct? Most have reported that it is even though the speedo reads way fast. You can correct the speedo with the 12 Oclock Labs Speedo DRD but then the odometer will read 10% low.

I used TWO GPSs to verify: My Garmin eTrex HCx and my iPhone. The two GPSs always read EXACTLY THE SAME for speed, and showed the speedometer to be 10% low (that is, my speedometer reading was indicating 100 when I was actually doing 90 on the GPS) at all speeds up to 100km/h. (Did not test higher than that.).

The odometers on all three (meaning the bike odometer, as well) were all within close tolerance over a 35km ride. However, I did note that the odometer on the bike was WAY off over the first few hundred meters, at slow speed, but over all was pretty much dead on.

Speeds were tested on straight, open farm road with no tree obstructions, or nearby mountains, with a clear view of the sky (devices were zap-strapped to handle bars). Odometer was tested in similar fashion, though with a few curves, turns, and a bit of town riding.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I used TWO GPSs to verify: My Garmin eTrex HCx and my iPhone. The two GPSs always read EXACTLY THE SAME for speed, and showed the speedometer to be 10% low at all speeds up to 100km/h.
Your speedo reads low? As in, it says 90 when the GPS says 100? It is usually the other way around for world bikes and dead on for US bikes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Your speedo reads low? As in, it says 90 when the GPS says 100? It is usually the other way around for world bikes and dead on for US bikes.
Sorry, you're correct. Sometimes there is an error between the mind and the keyboard. I'll edit my other post. Well, what I mean is that my speed was low, the speedometer read high. Yeah, that's it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts