Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Premium Member
6,949 Posts
Just a guess, but I'm thinking that it would likely bolt right up. Like the stock 250R muffler, I'm sure it will have an integrated cat which would make it fairly expensive to buy as a replacement part... the 250R OEM Honda muffler has an MSRP of $500 USD and sells online for about $340 USD.

· Registered
599 Posts
The CBR300R muffler looks like the one on the 500. I "hear" they are very quiet. So, yes, takeoffs might make it a reasonable cost to change.

The question will be whether it works as well or better than the current 250 version.

· Premium Member
6,949 Posts
The stock pipe on the 300 is wayyy uglier than the 250.
Really?... because I heard that Webster's was considering adding a photo of the stock 250R muffler alongside the definition for the word Fugly in the next edition of their New World Dictionary.

You know your motorcycle exhaust is ugly, when the flies hanging out in your garage won't even take a crap on it.

· Registered
92 Posts
Really?... because I heard that Webster's was considering adding a photo of the stock 250R muffler alongside the definition for the word Fugly in the next edition of their New World Dictionary.

You know your motorcycle exhaust is ugly, when the flies hanging out in your garage won't even take a crap on it.
At least the 250s blended in the the rest of the design. The 300s giant metallic dildo looks completely out of place.

· Registered
599 Posts
Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. When people take the new 300 one off for a louder one, I'll be ready for a cheap swap for mine.

· Premium Member
6,949 Posts
At least the 250s blended in the the rest of the design. The 300s giant metallic dildo looks completely out of place.
Well as they say, to each their own. In my case, I knew long before I even took delivery of my 250R that the stock muffler had to go, and so I replaced it with an FMF Apex carbon fiber slip-on. FWIW, FMF is known as one of the leading aftermarket exhaust companies, and are manufactured in the USA. I've had FMF exhausts on a number of off-road Hondas over the years and never have had any issues with them.

· Registered
2,250 Posts
That's what I figured.

I've been putting off replacing the stock muffler until now because of concerns about excessive noise and also, frankly, the high cost. I always had other priorities for my bike funds. However the stock exhaust is starting to rust, the black paint has become chalky, my heat shield was slightly beat up in a tipover on grass (ST1300 fell over and knocked my bike down when its centerstand sank into the ground...I had my stand on a puck...sometimes you just can't win)...OEM muffler just all-around looks worn and weathered...sick of looking at it. Also the header pipe has no paint on it any more and has assumed a brownish gray color like the underside of a car.

Today I decided to finally bite the bullet and ordered a 14" / 350mm Delkevic Oval Stainless Silencer and Header Pipe. I was undecided between 14" and 18" but I didn't see the 18" available on their US website, so the decision was made for me.

· Registered
3,226 Posts
dont know how this would play out with using 300 pipe
but it has an oxygen sensor mounted into it a few inches
out from exhaust port, on top, before the bend..
300 exhaust cannister gets very, hot..
even after a 15min ride i burned my knuckle
on it after only a touch while mounting rear disc
lock/alarm [twice].. too hot for bike cover..
300r forum members replied to my enquiry
on excessive heat with strong confirmations..

but my son likes it.. says it looks good [to him]
and sounds ok.. while riding you are aware of
hearing engine/exhaust sound, well muffled..

· Registered
2,250 Posts
I think that heat is coming from the catalyst, shisoshin. Shows how much unoxidized combustion byproducts are still in the exhaust gases, releasing energy when catalyzed. Too bad that energy can't be captured in the engine to propel the bike.

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would still be interested in trying to fit the 300's on the 250. I don't mind the look of the 300...the 250's had to go.

while I like the look of the jardine rt5 I have, the sound level, even with their noise suppressor is a little excessive (for this 41 year old's tastes).

I have a friend who can weld...am I wrong assuming that the exhaust neck is likely double walled? that might add a level of complication that might not make it worth the expense of buying a take off to hack it up...

· Registered
1,921 Posts
I would still be interested in trying to fit the 300's on the 250. I don't mind the look of the 300...the 250's had to go.

while I like the look of the jardine rt5 I have, the sound level, even with their noise suppressor is a little excessive (for this 41 year old's tastes).

I have a friend who can weld...am I wrong assuming that the exhaust neck is likely double walled? that might add a level of complication that might not make it worth the expense of buying a take off to hack it up...
It is indeed doubly walled, but not at the lip where the stock can connects, so I don't see it as being too difficult depending on what really needs to change to fit the 300's can.

· Registered
2,291 Posts
It looks like Honda was just mimicking the aftermarket, to me, and I can see why the OP would want one. Style and quiet. I know when I had BMW airheads I had a thing for OEM parts for modifying my bike. :)

But I followed MotoMikes advice on the FMF, and while I was concerned about noise, I heard it for the first time the other day (in the garage), and I think we are going to get along fine. Thanks Mike! (again...)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts