Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Don't know why issues & my CBR are inseparable or am I being too picky :confused:

Anyway, issue is simple, but that's something also to worry about; the slackness of the chain isn't uniform; say, at one place it is 5-7mm, other place it is 12-15mm. This however isn't causing any hindrance to setting new records on top speed or the same terrific acceleration.

Just lost that perfect engineering!!! Is any of you experiencing this or does someone have a solution?

PS - I haven't dropped my bike or caused any damage; another point to notice is that, I've recently serviced at around 109xx kms & now its 119xx kms & there's a chain slack; ideally shouldn't the chain be inspected every 2000 odd Kms?

PPS - Chains are well lubed between 750-1000 Kms

·
Registered
879 Posts
Seems wierd but I have had the same issue on many different bikes not just the 250. Dont really know why but it has never caused any promlems. Seems like once adjusted it would be the same all the way around but theres always tight and loose spots ????????????

·
Registered
54 Posts
Check chain slack at several wheel positions, and adjust while at the tightest. Then re-check, there may be another tighter spot. What happpens is when the chain is almost at its correct adjustment, it just takes a little more adjustment, or sprocket eccentricity, or uneven wear to change the slack a lot -even pull the slack out entirely and put the chain under tension. This condition will come and go as you roll down the road. So, it really is important to find the tightest spot and adjust the chain there. If you do find you've adjusted the chain too tight, don't try to just back off a bit. Back the adjuster nuts off a turn, kick the wheel to the front, and try again. Don't worry that there will now be apparent loose spots in the chain, they won't hurt anything, and the variation shouldn't be too bad if wear is within limits.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nortley - Tightest spot & adjusted to spec is what we've done; but somehow I don't like something when its not perfect!!!

Tom - You're right; not big issues or whatsoever

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
the slackness of the chain isn't uniform; say, at one place it is 5-7mm, other place it is 12-15mm.
No wonder, have at leat 25mm slack, 35mm way better, (sitting on the bike fully loaded) and even 50mm in the manual.

I have mates that adjust their chain weekly.. guess what? next week they do it again... stretching it to buggery.
Get a new chain and follow the manual.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Aufitt - This is a new chain replaced about 1000 Kms ago; pls read my first post in the PS section

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have only adjusted my chain 1 time...its actually been awhile and about 2 thousand miles since I checked it last..at first adjustment I found no loose or tight spots..measurement was uniform every time......I will add rechecking it to my "to do list" for this spring

·
Registered
999 Posts
I might be miss reading the first post as well. I can't tell if you're saying the chain is 7-15mm looser or tighter than your first reference point (adjusted to proper range) or if those are actual slack measurements (5-7mm, 12-15mm) at different points.

If it's the latter, it's way too tight. If it's the former.. nevermind.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts