Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,
Received my CBR 250 about 6 weeks ago. Loving the bike. I was wondering if someone might be able to answer a question about it ? How often do you clean and lube a chain. I drive mostly on the City Streets of Indianapolis, IN. I try to stay out of the rain and dirt.

I read some where that is was every 200 miles. I did do it once at 200 Miles. It doesn't look dirty ?

Thanks for the info

·
745 Posts
I use Castrol chain wax, which was recommended by a friend and seems to work well.

The O-ring sealed chain on the CBR (and most new bikes) is sooooo much better than the chains of yesteryear. the chain links are, in effect, sealed. "Lubing" it is really doing nothing more than lubricating the rollers and keeping it from rusting.

Most people recommend you do nothing more than wash it with a car (not dish) detergent, let it dry, then use one of the chain waxes to lubricate. Don't soak it in anything (especially a solvent) or use products like WD-40 on it - the solvents will actually remove lube from the o-rings, causing the seal to break down much faster.

200 miles may be too often (I haven't looked at the manual, so if it says 200, then I am wrong). Several riders i know have recommended 500. I would say it depends on the environment - if you're riding a lot in the rain or dust you need more frequent maintenance.

Luke

·
745 Posts
In another lifetime, I would pull the chain, soak it in kerosene for 24 hours, let dry thoroughly, soak in gasoline to get rid of any remaining kerosene, let dry thoroughly.

Then I would melt a low-temp grease and let the chain simmer in it for 30 minutes of so, let it cool, and wipe away the excess.

Needless to say, I REALLY like my CBR chain.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. The owners manual doesn't really say when the chain should be cleaned. I didn't want to over clean it. If you over clean/lube the chain do you think it would degrade the chain?

thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is what I do...wipe chain down with an old terry cloth or sock soaked with WD-40. This cleans the chain. Then I spray Honda Pro chain lube (red can) at the side plate links. This is the area with the O-ring. I then spin wheel a few times to distribute lube.

After a few mins. wipe down chain again with a clean terry rag or sock. I've been doing this for years. I had a 1998 VFR that I bought new and rode over 20,000 miles before selling it. I had the original chain on that bike went sold. It still was within stretch limits. In fact I only had to adjust that chain five or six times in 20,000 miles.

There is no fling from chain and rear wheel stays nice and clean!

I do this now on my KTM Superduke 990 and at 6,000 miles chain looks new and has only needed adjustment two times.

I'll be following this on my CBR250R if it ever gets here!

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts