Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I don't know if this is a noob question or not, so please bear with me.

Friday night I had to drive in my first rainstorm. It wasn't too bad but it was long enough and it still made me a little nervous. My bike did great, however.

Got home, bike sat in garage until yesterday afternoon when I got a chance to clean her up. Rode her around the apartment parking lot for a few minutes to check that everything is ok. It was then that I heard the drive chain chattering after engaging clutch, then braking.

Drove the cage to work today, but tonight once back home I lubed the cycle chain and checked tension, tightened a bit, then test drove again, same thing.

I'd like to ride the bike to work tomorrow but if this sort of thing is not normal I don't want to risk it.

And, I've googled, I've searched the forum, but when you don't know exactly what to search for, you're kind of screwed. Or maybe I've just never heard it before?

So....IS THIS NORMAL???? :confused:

Thanks everyone.

-hepto

·
Registered
66 Posts
dont worry about it.
rain wont hurt your bike. water wont hurt your bike.

just lube up your chain after driving in too much rain, and every second tank. it'll be ok.
chain noise is always there. sometimes you notice it. most times you dont.

you only worry about the chain when it stretches, and yours seems to be ok if you've checked everything

·
Registered
240 Posts
Its normal; hope you know how to lube; I usually spray Motul chain lube; but I want to try Wurth's chain wax next, not sure how effective it is.

·
Registered
116 Posts
mine was making a similar sound. i would describe it as a "clink clink clink" as it passed over each sprocket tooth. i sprayed some more chain lube on it and the sound went away 90%.
thing is it was just lubed by the service center like a week before (160 miles or so).

its fine now though :)

i would try spraying it down again, maybe do a little excessive job and make sure to get it into each little crack and crevice, then wipe it down so it doesn't spray all over the place and drive around the block again.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have rode in many many rainstorms and I dont even lube my chain after every time I've rode in it or after every 2nd tank...i lube it every 500 miles just like the manual states to do....i think you were more sensitive to new noises since you were looking for them so you noticed it when it had been there all along....My chain actually seemed to get quieter after i tightened it up to the minimum spec...for about 2 days..then it sounded like it always did again but its still at the lower spec...
I think its just like the "rattling noise" after 5000 rpm...its just the way this bike is ...another annoying yet normal noise for it

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Spray cleaner.
Wipe.
Lube.

Despite being a DID chain I find I have to take better care of this bike's chain than other bikes. It needs it regularly and the reduction in noise is immediate. As someone else said, After too much rain and every second tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts