Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I now have 600 miles and have checked the chain and it is on the loose end but still not at the max, i think. The reason I'm not sure is it hits the chain guard preventing it from raising any more. How far are your chains away from the chain guard when pressure is applied? Do they hit the guard? Should I adjust immediately?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya I am using the bottom part, it is hitting the guard thing in between the top and bottom chain when lifting up.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
ya I am using the bottom part, it is hitting the guard thing in between the top and bottom chain when lifting up.
Not sure I'm following completely, but it sounds like it needs adjustment immediately.

You saw the thread about the overly loose chain taking a hunk out of the engine case, right?

Jay

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, that's why I am so worried. Basically, when I push up on the bottom chain, it hits the little guard thing above it.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
there are a couple threads on this exact subject already and it has pretty much already been beaten to death..rather than repeat what has already been rode hard and put away wet repeatedly..i'll just let you scroll down the service and maintenance forum to find the previous threads on your own...or don't :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Already read it troll. Thanks for the input. This is a specific question though if you'd bother to read this thread you so obnoxiously posted in.

·
Registered
619 Posts
you check it by pushing up from the undermost middle portion. It should not hit the guard. Keep it adjusted close to spec.

I adjusted mine three or four times, but since about 3k it hasn't stretched much.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-service-maintenance/1207-chain-adjustment.html

Don't know how you are measuring but you are obviously doing something wrong because you should get at least 2" or even more when measuring,(if your chain is that loose) By then its unsafe to even ride...

and I am not a troll..i just dont like lazy people but its your prerogative to start any thread you want just as it is mine to make a reply to it if i wish, obnoxious,smarta$$ or otherwise
....but i was wrong to be so blunt in my response and for that I will apologize, I should have just linked the thread above rather than my previous post..
the thread above has precise instructions on exactly how to measure your chain slack and adjust if necessary..no one else mentions the chain guard being in their way and it has never been in my way either so i wouldnt know how or possibly why it is for you....
in addition to the thread above...the correct procedure for measuring chain clearance is also right there in your user manual under your seat along with a picture showing how to do it ...and theres another picture on a label near the rear axle nut ...

·
Registered
256 Posts
I finally inspected, cleaned and lubed the chain. I keep my bike in the garage and don't really ride in the dirt or rain. Luckly the chain looks to be in spec. The cleaner turned the chain from black to silver again. What do you know! It was a lot dirtier than I thought. Used some wax lubricant and good to go. It took about a half an hour to spray cleaner. I let it sit for 5min., rinsed it off, went for a 5 min. ride and then sprayed the chain with wax/lubricant, rolled the bike, sprayed the chain repeat etc. Boring post I know but man it feels great to have that done. So easy too. Anyway, I plan to spray some lube on often and I guess I'll clean it when it looks dirty again. Is it good to spray some on now and then without cleaning first or should the chain always be cleaned before applying lube. Thanks in advance for the answer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I adjusted the chain, it seems to be right around an inch now, but it now rubs the rubber guard.

I can definitely hear it at low speeds and it is pretty loud.

Anyone else experience this?

I took it to the dealer and one guys said it was a little tight, so he went to have the mechanics adjust it but they ended up telling him it was good.

Still getting the annoying rubbing sound though.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
So I adjusted the chain, it seems to be right around an inch now, but it now rubs the rubber guard.

I can definitely hear it at low speeds and it is pretty loud.

Anyone else experience this?

I took it to the dealer and one guys said it was a little tight, so he went to have the mechanics adjust it but they ended up telling him it was good.

Still getting the annoying rubbing sound though.
Can you post a close-up photo of where it's rubbing?

Is it the chain guide on top of the swingarm? Doesn't the chain pick-up off of it when you sit on the bike? If it's the rubber guide you are fine, but I wouldn't expect it to make any noise. Eventually the rubber guide will wear through and will need replacing though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ya I believe it is the chain guard on the top of the arm. I didn't look to see if it lifted up off it when I sat on it but I will when I get home. I will also take a pic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts