Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
these are sport demons..all I have seen have this tread pattern and this one alone

very interesting now that you have posted that pic...my sport demons do are the same but do not have a connecting center tread on the back tire. Instead there are swoops that go from the outer to inner portion, but do not connect to each other. Maybe they don't have that tread because the width is different? or they are a newer/older model...

here's a pick of how mine look

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
yes..that is interesting efoo..the pics I am seeing online all have the tread connecting on the back tire...maybe they all just use a "stock" pic but the tread pattern may vary by tire size as you suggest? I will have to remember this when I order my set later this summer.

@shem1410...I have heard your exact same complaint many times now....The continentals you guys got stuck with have a different compound than than the IRC's we got here in the states..the outer layer is a harder compound and thus slicker (because your guys roads are a lot rougher in a lot of places so they gave you a more durable longer lasting tire maybe?) I had heard of many with those tires, locking up the front and doing burnouts on the rear to get rid of that hard top layer and get down to softer compound so it would stick better..be easier to just buy different tires..but not cheaper

·
Registered
128 Posts
yes..that is interesting efoo..the pics I am seeing online all have the tread connecting on the back tire...maybe they all just use a "stock" pic but the tread pattern may vary by tire size as you suggest? I will have to remember this when I order my set later this summer.

@shem1410...I have heard your exact same complaint many times now....The continentals you guys got stuck with have a different compound than than the IRC's we got here in the states..the outer layer is a harder compound and thus slicker (because your guys roads are a lot rougher in a lot of places so they gave you a more durable longer lasting tire maybe?) I had heard of many with those tires, locking up the front and doing burnouts on the rear to get rid of that hard top layer and get down to softer compound so it would stick better..be easier to just buy different tires..but not cheaper
I feel sad when the bike can do so much but it just wont let me... really need to change them ...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
after picking up a wood screw in rear stock tyre
had to move forward the new tyres i had intended
to get, along with a rear brake pad, michelin pilot
street radials.. however, because of the immediacy
of it my dealer had a problem with getting the pilots
so installed pirelli sport demons [stock size for cbr250r]
instead..
had explained to service manager [steve, action m/s, city]
my requirements esp wet performance [etc] so these demons
were fine by me.. cost $114 front, $143 rear for $257au
[= $234us] as they had been on my short list anyway..

only ridden home on them thru mainly coastal suburbia
from the city [sydney] and as theyre brand new unscrubbed
i wasnt going to push them first ride, but first impressions
are ease and willingness to turn in, concise steering,
[felt a little weird at first probably riding with habits
and feel of the irc's which were squared off a bit]
definite feedback from rear in turning, cornering
or minor weaving.. did some 'warm up weaving'
which was nice and secure and well controlled..

in a couple of medium pace curves i know well
with good entry etc they felt really good,
willing, and very stable..
[motorcycle suspension is stock]

did a couple of medium braking checks
front and back separately [also wanted to test
the new rear pads and get some heat into them]
and they both tracked nicely eating the speed
well esp for brand new tyres..
[i certainly wasnt at all tired]

local pirelli link showing various tread patterns etc;
balmainmotorcycles.com.au/pirellimotorcycletyres.html?CIX292snr0CFU8GvAodvE0ANg

·
Registered
1,109 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
I've still got stock IRC on, just over 13k on them and still haven't hit the wear indicator yet. However I think I will opt for the Battlax BT45's.
Metalstorm was referring to 10,000 miles, not km's. My original IRC's barely did 9,000 miles (15,000 km) before the rear was completely gone. The front tire could have probably gone another 3000 or 4000 miles, although it had some cupping towards the outer part of the tread.

For my next set of tires, I'm going to try out a set of the new Michelin Pilot Street Radials. In independent testing, the Michelins PSR's are said to offer better performance than that of the Pirelli Sport Demons.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Metalstorm was referring to 10,000 miles, not km's. My original IRC's barely did 9,000 miles (15,000 km) before the rear was completely gone. The front tire could have probably gone another 3000 or 4000 miles, although it had some cupping towards the outer part of the tread.

For my next set of tires, I'm going to try out a set of the new Michelin Pilot Street Radials. In independent testing, the Michelins PSR's are said to offer better performance than that of the Pirelli Sport Demons.
The dealer told me that for commuting, the Michelin Pilot 3's (or was it 4's?) were excellent for this bike, and I should upgrade to those when I'm ready, instead of the Diablo Rosso II's I was asking about.

I would like something that gives me a ton of confidence for leaning into tight corners, especially in high-wind situations (New Mexico springs are notorious for howling winds) and over cracks/paint on the road during turns.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
The dealer told me that for commuting, the Michelin Pilot 3's (or was it 4's?) were excellent for this bike, and I should upgrade to those when I'm ready, instead of the Diablo Rosso II's I was asking about.

I would like something that gives me a ton of confidence for leaning into tight corners, especially in high-wind situations (New Mexico springs are notorious for howling winds) and over cracks/paint on the road during turns.
The Pilot Road 3's are very good tires, however they don't make it in the 140 rear size. Michelin just recently came out with their new Pilot Street Radial, made specifically in sizes for the CBR250R and Kawasaki Ninja 250/300. They are also reasonably priced, as compared to many of the other radials on the market.

There is a thread on the Michelin Pilot Street Radial in the Performance forum: http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-...-pilot-street-radial-cbr250r-coming-soon.html

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
ps - mine fitted yesterday same pattern as effoos
pic of his sd's [rear curved tread line not joining
opposite sides curved tread line]
front looks same mine and both pics..

[mine stock size] 110/70-17 & 140/70-17

·
Registered
229 Posts
The Sport Demons are good tires.
Grip is good. They work well in the rain. I got 6300 miles on mine and they're ready to be replaced.
Now that the weather is better I'll be ordering a set of Rosso IIs when my tax return comes in but I'll probably switch back to the Demons for winter.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

I love my Rosso 2's which I have been riding thru all conditions for 2000 miles.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've put about 5,000 mile on my rear Sport Demon. It may be getting ready to be replaced; it looks fine, but it's getting a little skittish. It actually slid out from me on a low speed turn at a stop light. Scared the crap out of me. Bike straightened itself out though and I didn't fall. Been scared of leaning since.

In other regards, they suck on dirt, lmao.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
bear in mind stop lights are notorious for oil
and other fluids dropped by waiting cars/trucks etc..

my one lifetime rider error off was slowly approaching
downhill in wet [with caution] well used traffic lights..
even with care etc, down we went..
now aside from typical wet habits like stopping distances
etc, i never use brakes unless absolutely necessary
or to come to a final controlled stop..

after, a heavy sustained downpour its not so bad,
and after very heavy sustained rain roads can be
washed clean and excellent surface condions..
its when the rain has just started or been raining
lightly that the combination of oils and water
becomes a serious threat..

anyway 94, dont let that lights incident spread
to your general riding, as most likely there was
an unusually poor surface there, perhaps oily..
if you worry about it that will generate tension
which is harmful generally to good riding..

as a hint, i wont ride center lane approaching lights,
due to oil being dropped there by idling cars waiting..

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
very interesting now that you have posted that pic...my sport demons do are the same but do not have a connecting center tread on the back tire. Instead there are swoops that go from the outer to inner portion, but do not connect to each other. Maybe they don't have that tread because the width is different? or they are a newer/older model...

here's a pick of how mine look
reply from pirelli national manager don nicholas
to my enquiry on sport demons tread patterns..

in a thorough and specific response going to
the question raised on sport demons rear
tread pattern differences, this to the point;

"The 140/70-66H TL that you purchased is the latest version available.
This particular size has an updated tread pattern, which is different to the
rest of the Sport Demon range as you have noticed. the tread pattern on
this 140/70-17 size was modified and developed in conjunction with one of
our OE motorcycle manufacturers. The remainder of the Sport Demon
range retains the centre line on the rear that you speak of and see on the
Pirelli website [so size 130/70-70 for example]." unq.

cont'; "In terms of performance you can be satisfied that the tyre you have fitted is the latest design in Sport Demon tread pattern
for your motorcycle."

so, this tread pattern [with no, mid joining bar] in this particular size
is an upgraded pattern, designed and developed for this size [140/70-17]
and is the latest version available..

that the remainer of the sd range retains that center line
as seen on pirelli etc websites..

41 - 55 of 55 Posts