Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I don't want to pay $180 for some chassis protectors which look like a skateboard wheel on a bolt. What's that, like $10 in parts?
So, I'd like to know the metric bolt size being used for these parts so I can make my own. Anyone know the bolt diameter and thread count?

THESE

·
Registered
38 Posts
Its more then whats in that picture in the link; if you think its just a bolt and skateboard wheel; There is a large bracket and 6 hex bolts that bolt onto the frame for each side, its pretty solid.

Yeah its expensive, but a lot of motorcycle stuff is for what you get :p

·
Registered
221 Posts
Before you hate on some yoshi frame sliders, get your facts strait. Check out my thread to see what it all comes with.

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-appearance-modifications/1118-yoshimura-frame-sliders-arrived.html

You don't want to just thread this bolt into some other screw hole such as one in the engine, you're going to end up breaking that piece of metal. Your best bet is to create the bracket like yoshi did and then make some "skate board" wheels. IF you think that material is some crap rubber like with skateboards, you have no idea what your getting yourself into.

·
Registered
102 Posts
As everyone else has said, the Yoshimura pieces are fairly substantial, well worth the price.

If you were going to make it yourself you would need a good welder (wire welder would be fine, Tig would be better), about one square foot of 1/4" to 3/8" steel plate, a plate breaker (puts a fold in metal plate- don't know the technical name for it), a drill press, a metal lathe (or at the very least the pre-turned stalks to drill out the center section in. True, in bulk metal costs, you would only be looking at $20-30, but throw in how much time is worth (substantial value if you have the skills to do it properly), plus having the tools (none of which costs less than a few hundred dollars, with some going upwards of a few thousand). You will quickly find that to make them yourself, if you don't have a full service machine shop at your disposal, you would be much better off to order the ones from Yoshimura, install them in your garage/driveway, and get on with riding your bike. Even if you have the full service shop you would still be better off leaving the production to a mass production company, than you would wasting your time.

If however you are wanting to do it simply for the joy of building something with your hands, go for it. More power to you, and the world needs more skilled do-it-yourself-ers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well said Amontgomery!!! but a person who makes a statement like what (Rick) said, is anything but a do it yourself-er

1 - 5 of 5 Posts