Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm new to the whole scene and I wanted to get my feet wet with installing these Yoshi sliders I just got from Corsport (thanks guys!)

Can anyone offer up some advice on tools needed, tips, etc? i'd like to keep a regular set of tools to work and reg maintenance myself rather than pay for work outside of completely professional necessary jobs... I'd like to own as much of this hobby as possible...

Thanks in advance! :cool:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cmon now... None of the bike experts, gear junkies on this forum can offer any thoughts on brands to use or stay away from.... Experience pointers? Little accessories that made the work a lil easier??

After reading a buncha threads with the details and knowledge dropped... I thought I'd hear more than crickets in here...

Whatsup??

·
Registered
278 Posts
Cmon now... None of the bike experts, gear junkies on this forum can offer any thoughts on brands to use or stay away from.... Experience pointers? Little accessories that made the work a lil easier??

After reading a buncha threads with the details and knowledge dropped... I thought I'd hear more than crickets in here...

Whatsup??
You get what you pay for :)

Seriously, without seeing the parts or the instructions it's hard to know what you need. If you really are starting from zero, then probably a metric socket set for normal bolts and a set of allen wrenches is a good start. A torque wrench is probably a good idea too. Since you'll be working on the bike infrequently (not daily like a professional mechanic in a shop).. any decent set of tools from an auto parts store would probably be fine.

Since you're asking for advice, one thing I'd say that if it were me, I'd ditch the high-tops and wear some motorcycle specific boots for riding.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks furious! Do you have any recommendations on brand preference for a reliable set of tools and accessories? Any prep/additionals to lookout for? Lubes, cleaners to go along with, etc.?

As for the kicks, I've been on the hunt to find a motorcycle specific pair that suits me right... many that I've tried have been mostly bulky and also the lockdown aspect of the shoe/boot is super important to me.

Currently I ride with motorcycle "inspired" kicks.... I've collected sneakers for decades so I can get real nerdy when it comes to footwear. The kicks I sport when riding have all the same goodies as riding shoes, except they are not "motorcycle shoes". Reinforcements in the proper areas, even padding additions for the shifter, lace locks, lace covers, 1.2+mm leather etc... I can go on and on. I def want to have this in gear especially when I eventually get to the track. I found a nice pair of Dianese boots, but they didnt lockdown well and there was alot of movement of my foot within the shoe... But yea, the search continues to find a motorcycle specific brand that suits me.

My normal everyday riding gear currently consists of a full length fully armored jacket, armored jeans (with forcefield knee/hip armor underneath), full face helmet, armored leather gloves, and shoes that are made of thick leather(and they must cover the ankles).

ptcary thanks yo. no offense taken and I have seen those threads. i was just trying to get more of an opinion and hands on view and an inside to the toolbox. these threads were great for brief descriptions and a visual of it, but i guess im trying to create my own mini repair/work shop here at the crib.

i was just trying to pick peoples brains on here on how to make some good 1st steps in creating my DIY garage here at home. theres been some great info and contributions by people on here and im just trying to get in on the know. :cool:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Wow, you're really getting into this :)
About tool brands, IMHO as long as they are halfway decent that's good enough. This bike and most modern bikes don't require as much maintenance as motorcycles of a couple of decades ago did. The tools won't be used very often (unless you start disassembling and reassembling the bike regularly just for the fun of it).

For cleaners, I've sworn by 2:
1. S100 for general cleaning
2. Gunk Engine Brite for cleaning grease and chain splatter

S100 when used as directed saves a lot of clean time as it resists spotting as it dries. I just spray it on and hose it off. It's not cheap but to me it's worth the time that it saves.

Gunk is more heavy duty. It will get chain splatter and heavy grease off easily. I keep it away from painted parts, save the S100 for those.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Oh oh, me me!

I've always worked on my car, so I have a fairly large collection of tools (mutiple socket sets, torque wrenches, micrometers, various types of assembly lube, etc)

What I'd recommend for this bike is:
1 hex socket set. Make sure the ratchet is a foot long. Anything smaller and you will need to have hulk-like strength.
One small bottle of anti-seize lubricant. Make sure to not apply it on everything though. But this always helps for bolts that are going to see high temperatures.
1 set of allen wrenches
Feeler gauges.
Some solvent for cleaning parts
Some chain lube

For the brandname of the tools, go with something that has lifetime warranty. I use FORCE products, not sure if they are sold in the US. I swear by them and will never use anything else in my life. Just don't cheap out on **** harbor freight crap when it comes to tools.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Just recieved my sliders today as well.
So in same boat. Going to score Torque wrench now.
Also have a shoe addiction. Mainly air max. But i have a pair of steve madden
Boots that i will put up against almost all the general purpose boots ive seen at bike shops. Light. Tough leather and really well insulated. Thpugh some times i squid out and roll some nike SB's. But hey if they are ok for kids eating it on vert ramps maybe they offer somthing.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HoPMiX, awesome man! i love kicks. been collecting for deep, and i have plenty of kicks that matchup any day to riding shoes. maybe not race boots, but def everyday riding shoes ive seen and tried on.

these days, my collecting has been back burner, unless i see something i really like. but still having fun buying kicks for my lil ones. :) and plus, it saves more money for me to spend on this new hobby :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts